Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finance or accounting degree?
kimaya24 Wrote:That's a great idea, if I remember right, I was thinking of doing the MSA since it was less credits than the MBA, but I think the MBA would be more versatile. Also, I think in Texas you have to have 5 years experience before you can even sit for the CPA. AAFES Headquarters has a lot of Accounting Tech positions, so I've been applying hoping to get in, but no luck yet. My husband knows a Soldier that works in HR there and he said to apply for anything just to get in then apply for the accounting tech because they give current employees first dibs on the jobs so that's what I'm doingSmile

Keep in mind that in Texas you need at least 15 units of upper division accounting in a class room setting. I have been doing job interviews and have done some research in Texas and Florida because I could end up in either locations (hoping to know by this Wed) and noticed in the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy it states, "At least 15 of these hours must result from physical attendance at classes meeting regularly on the campus of the transcript-issuing institution."
Joe,
Liberty University, MBA in Accounting (2012)
Excelsior BS - General Business (2009)
CPCU Designation (2010)
joel66 Wrote:Keep in mind that in Texas you need at least 15 units of upper division accounting in a class room setting. I have been doing job interviews and have done some research in Texas and Florida because I could end up in either locations (hoping to know by this Wed) and noticed in the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy it states, "At least 15 of these hours must result from physical attendance at classes meeting regularly on the campus of the transcript-issuing institution."

Thanks for the link! It will definately come in handy. I'm a student member of the Texas Society of Public Accountants, it's like $35 dollars a year; I did it to put on my resume so hopefully potential employers will see that I am serious about accounting. They give you a certificate; my husband makes fun of me because I put it in a frame in my office, he calls it my fake CPA certificate lol, I use it as motivation to have a real one some day!!
DSST
Technical Writing - 60
Here’s To Your Health - 435
Principles of Supervision - 441
Introduction to Computing - 463
Human Resource Management - 67
Personal Finance - 460
Organizational Behavior - 69
Ethics in America - 447
Principles of Statistics - 424!!
Introduction to Business - 443
Astronomy - 59

CLEP
Principles of Management - 64
Principles of Marketing - 65
Principles of Macroeconomics - 55
Principles of Microeconomics - 60
You can always get a bachelors in one (finance for me) and then depending on how things work out, get your MBA in the other. I might end up doing that, but gotta take one step at a time.

I'm lucky because where I live there are 2 schools that offer an MBA in finance or accounting, and they are both AACSB accredited.

Based on my interpretation of the Occupational Outlook Handbook put out by the Department of Labor, I think people with a bachelors in accounting earn more than those with a bachelors in finance, but an MBA in finance will get your more than an MBA in accounting. Could be wrong though.
Some schools now offer a 5 year program that gives you a Bachelors and a Masters in Accounting. Good prep to become a CPA.
The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.

CLEPs taken:
Information Systems and Computer Applications 72
Principles of Management 63
American Government 62
videguy Wrote:Some schools now offer a 5 year program that gives you a Bachelors and a Masters in Accounting. Good prep to become a CPA.

Hmm.. haven't seen that before. Seen a few schools do a 5 year 150 credit "CPA fast track bachelors" but never a 5 year MBA in one.

Although there are schools that offer a 1 year MBA, so I suppose it would be the same thing.
MA2 Wrote:Hmm.. haven't seen that before. Seen a few schools do a 5 year 150 credit "CPA fast track bachelors" but never a 5 year MBA in one.

Although there are schools that offer a 1 year MBA, so I suppose it would be the same thing.

Davenport University offers a 5-year BS/MBA in Accounting. They also offer an Honors version. I used to attend Davenport's MBA in Accounting, but realized really fast that I would have more success if I obtain additional accounting knowledge because the program is writing intensive and you need to post at least 6 to 7 DQ posts per week at minimum. In the two MBA courses I have taken, I was making 15 to 25 post per week at 200-500 words per post.

Once I complete my MS in Accounting, and depending on my future job projects, if I do not go to an AACSB school for my MBA, I will seriously consider either their MBA in Forensic Accounting or Finance. The school also offers a lot of scholarships if you have a high GPA. When I initially started their MBA program, my undergraduate degree gpa was 3.84 and I qualified for a Platinum scholarship at $4,000 per year, but decided on the veteran discount at 25%.
Joe,
Liberty University, MBA in Accounting (2012)
Excelsior BS - General Business (2009)
CPCU Designation (2010)
The reason I first decided to go for a general business degree is that I want knowledge of all areas of business, in order to manage a small business. I do not want to be an accountant (at least at this point). Actually, I want to go into a completely different field and I am getting the business degree to give me knowledge to run a business in my chosen field. However, I took my first accounting course, liked it, took another, liked it... and so on. Now I have 15 accounting credits with straight A's. At this point, I am really considering changing my degree program to accounting instead of having a general business degree with many accounting credits. Especially considering that it would only require 3 more accounting courses. But if I do accounting, I would not be able to do the courses/exams that I want to do in finance, management, and marketing. Since I am more interested in doing finance than management or marketing (and finance goes well with acc.), I am now considering doing a double major in accounting and finance. I think that having a degree in accounting and/or finance would open up more doors, but I am wondering whether the extra expense and time would be worth it. Considering that the double major would cost around $3,000 more and take at least 6 more months, is it worth it?

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas are appreciated. And sorry for the long post.
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
No one can say for sure, but I personally think it would.
kimaya24 Wrote:I took accounting at a vocational school my last 2 years of high school (10+ years ago) and I got straight As; I don't know how because I really didn't understand it and thought it was soooo boring (then we did most of the work by hand on that green ledger paper...yuck!!). That's part of why it took me so long to go back to school because I didn't know what to major in and I didn't like accounting in school. Then I got a job in the accounting department of the credit union I worked at and for the first time accounting made sense...and I liked itSmile

Then when I took my first college accounting course I understand what was going on because I could relate it to my work experience and the practice was done on computer instead on paper which I like much better. That was when I knew accounting was right for me. My opinion is that studying accounting and actually working in accounting is different, you might hate taking the classes, but like doing the work hands on. Right now though, I'm taking Advanced Accounting I and I really like it, it's challenging, but the thing is to work on it a little bit everyday...I love it when the numbers add up rightSmile
This is what I heard! That the classes are difficult and boring. I LOVE numbers myself, but everyone says, Accounting is much different than Math. I guess I will have to see. Glad to see you got into a great field.
A business specialization is better in my opinion. We hire programmers with mis degrees all the time but it's rare to see a general business degree in the computer field. I suspect the same is true in accounting or finance.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,479 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 355 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,722 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,657 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,292 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,377 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,588 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
  Real? OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance David1477 1 482 06-20-2024, 01:53 AM