Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finance or accounting degree?
I found a bunch of debates on this on other forums doing a quick google search, but I was wondering what everyone thought on here about the benefits and advantages of getting a finance degree vs an accounting degree?

Salary, job outlook, benefits, etc

Based on the occupational outlook handbook it seems there are more job openings for accounting, but finance jobs pay more and therefore have more competition.

Just wondering

*pow* @-("Q)
It's a lot more complex than that- sometimes you find people with an accounting degree working a finance job. The really good finance jobs often require an MBA and are harder to get because there is so much competition, in part due to the prestige being greater in high finance than in accounting. It might also depend on where you want to live, and if you want public sector work an accounting degree is better.

It's also possible in many cases to double major in both at the undergrad level, or you could get a bachelor's degree in one discipline and a masters degree in the other, a decision that would likely be affected by your career path after getting the bachelor's.

In sum, it's too hard to answer that without more info.
Yenisei Wrote:In sum, it's too hard to answer that without more info.

True, but still interesting to think about... most finance and accounting jobs are somewhat interchangeable.
I wouldn't say most, but there is some. If I had to do it over again, I would have double majored in accounting and finance rather than getting an economics degree.
My wife has a finance degree and she started out entry level in salary. She has now worked her way up as the company grew and is a manager but simply having a bachelors in finance doesn't mean you are going to get paid a good salary immediately. Being a CPA requires more than just a bachelors degree and if you want to do accounting you probably need a CPA.

I guess I am saying you never know whats going to happen but a bachelors in accounting versus finance might not be any different in starting salary but a bachelors in accounting with 30 extra accounting credits will let you sit for the CPA exam if I am not mistaken. CPA is a profession in and of itself where finance is a major.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Finance has the CFA (primarily for people in money management), and the experience requirement is stricter than it is for the CPA.
He is right about the CFA field.
Also accountants are in super demand at the FBI and law schools love to see accountants or those with an accounting degree. The bean counters will always have a place in this world!
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:He is right about the CFA field.
Also accountants are in super demand at the FBI and law schools love to see accountants or those with an accounting degree. The bean counters will always have a place in this world!

True... but they group finance and accounting degrees in to the same "bracket" so to speak... they like both.
I am considering getting a degree in Accounting and/or Finance instead of General Business. What are your opinions on that? Would a BSBA in Accounting be much better than a BSBA in General Management? Would a double major in Accounting and Finance be better still? In my case, it would cost about $1,000 more and 3 more months to major in Accounting and somewhere around $3,000 more and 6 more months to double major in Accounting and Finance.

Any opinions, ideas, or suggestions?
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
I wouldn't ever recommend getting a degree in liberal arts, business management, underwater basket weaving, etc, but that's just me. I would recommend getting a degree in something "concrete" that you can use...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 407 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,480 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 355 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,722 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,661 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,293 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,378 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,589 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 754 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
  Real? OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance David1477 1 483 06-20-2024, 01:53 AM