Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FREE Coursera(must have verified student email)
Hello all,

In looking at the Campus Course Match tool, there are 1000 courses that have an equivalent at TESU.  The question here is how to get TESU to issue credit for something on Coursera? Thoughts?

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea
(06-06-2020, 11:11 AM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: In looking at the Campus Course Match tool, there are 1000 courses that have an equivalent at TESU.  The question here is how to get TESU to issue credit for something on Coursera? Thoughts?

I think it's more a guide of study sources in conjunction with, or instead of, the course itself. So perhaps for taking a CLEP or TECEP, the relevant coursera course might be good to go through before taking the CLEP/TECEP/etc.

I doubt there's much scope for getting TESU credit for a coursera course. Most universities don't even provide credit for their own coursera courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • bluebooger
If you take enough Coursera courses, you might be able to get them evaluated as PLA/portfolio credits. They do say that they (did) do that for MOOCs but I don't know the process.

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/pla

https://blog.tesu.edu/why-moocs-are-good...c-students
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/oplr
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Tedium
(06-06-2020, 11:11 AM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: In looking at the Campus Course Match tool, there are 1000 courses that have an equivalent at TESU.  The question here is how to get TESU to issue credit for something on Coursera? Thoughts?

It doesn't work like that.

Course Match is intended for college students who are unable to attend their normal classes (or are having trouble with them) and are looking for alternative ways to learn the course material for their classes.  It isn't meant to provide a way for people to earn alternative credits, but to be exposed to course material that will allow them to either work ahead of (or receive additional instruction in) the material they are (or will be) learning in college.

It is unlikely that you will be able to earn college credit for any of the courses you take on Coursera, even if they match courses at TESU, unless you PLA those courses... but that is a lot more work! IMO, if you want to earn credit, it is far faster and much less work to just take courses on Study.com or elsewhere.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • OldManOfTheSea, rachel83az
This might already be posted somewhere but I just got this email:

Free Coursera for university and college students
At a time when millions of university students are feeling uncertain about their futures, we want to help.

Now, college and university students have free access to 3,800 courses, Guided Projects, Specializations, and Professional Certificates so they can:

• Learn from world-class universities and companies
  • Gain career skills through hands-on learning
  • Earn and share valued certificates
Students who enroll by July 31, 2020, will have free access through September 30, 2020.
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

I recently tried signing up for a new certificate that was free before. Now they're trying to charge me. Even though Coursera is still proudly proclaiming that I have free access to these things. Anyone else experiencing this?
(07-15-2020, 12:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I recently tried signing up for a new certificate that was free before. Now they're trying to charge me. Even though Coursera is still proudly proclaiming that I have free access to these things. Anyone else experiencing this?

The courses are always free, the certificates are what they charge for. If you're in the free coursera for college students summer program, most of the regular course and specialization certificates are free (though not all!). The commercial certs are not included, so those remain at normal price.

It could be that you're accessing one of the certs that are not on the allowed list? Or maybe trying to access one of the free commerial certs from the education account? You can always try changing back to the regular version of Coursera to see if the problem goes away... Assuming you added the college program on top of your existing Coursera account, there should be an icon on the top left of the screen you can use to switch back to the regular version of Coursera. If you're using a different account and login for your school Coursera account, you can just switch back to your non-school account.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I'm using the same account that I signed up for the Google IT professional certificate for free. 

Quote:University and college students learn for free on Coursera

Deadline extended! Enroll for free in any of 3,800+ courses, Guided Projects, Specializations, or Professional Certificates by September 30, 2020.

That changed since my previous post, so that's nice. 

There's currently something mighty wrong with the internet for me right now, however, since many pages (including this forum) are only half-loading. Can't do Sophia. Don't think I can take my ASU astronomy final. So I think I'll just go to bed and see if I can actually accomplish anything tomorrow.
(06-06-2020, 02:30 AM)Merlin Wrote: I was able to verify that wgu.edu email addresses work just fine for this program.

How do you know if the email address works? If I click on "Enroll for Free" and it still pops up the 2 options like what's shown below means it didn't work?

[Image: EcqSHx5.png]
(07-16-2020, 10:12 AM)celerius Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 02:30 AM)Merlin Wrote: I was able to verify that wgu.edu email addresses work just fine for this program.

How do you know if the email address works? If I click on "Enroll for Free" and it still pops up the 2 options like what's shown below means it didn't work?

[Image: EcqSHx5.png]

I'm having the same issue with Coursera. It's no longer working the way it was and actually letting you take certificates for free. Probably time to contact support.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Community College - MA Residents Captainrekt000 0 68 Yesterday, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Free 1L BarBri Resource for Law Students Bingbong 2 136 09-25-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Bingbong
  Free and Cheap College/University Microcredentials ArshveerCheema 3 386 09-24-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 22 3,888 09-20-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Free certificates from Bond University, Australia ArshveerCheema 0 168 09-20-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Free ASL class from Oklahoma school for the deaf Avidreader 2 250 09-16-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  FREE on-site only IT certs at Stanly Community College, NC 8th October BritStudent 0 230 09-05-2024, 03:00 AM
Last Post: BritStudent
  ISIC or similar (Student Card Benefits) bjcheung77 1 655 09-03-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  University of Tuebingen free, credit-bearing online synchronous courses Robson 8 814 08-25-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: wow
  Limited Time - Free UoPeople First Degree (associate or bachelor) TINASAM 7 766 08-23-2024, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Vle045