Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extra Credits
Out of curiosity what does one do with the extra credits that may be laying around after you finish your degree? I'm just wondering because it seems like a waste if they aren't being used to go to a degree or certificate

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

You can't really "do" anything with them. They're just extra. If you're at TESU, they will just put every credit you earned/transferred there onto your transcript - they don't show the degree like the eval, using up each credit. They just list them all by type (so for me, CLEP was in a section, DSST, all ACE, NCCRS, then each school I went to, then TESU itself - first anything P/F like TECEP's, then graded credit).

The only thing you can "do" with your credit is transfer them somewhere and get a cert/degree with them. They're not "used" when you get a degree, and then you can't use them again. They may be listed on a transcript, but that's it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-20-2021, 04:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They may be listed on a transcript, but that's it.

At least there's that. I've read of too many cases on here where a provider may have gone out of business, or a transcript from the provider is not available for some other reason. For example, the ACE/Acclaim changeover seems to have left some students holding the bag.

In case the OP isn't aware, you can ask the institution awarding your degree to list your excess courses and credits "below the line", meaning that they'll appear on the institution's transcript, below the line that describes the awarding of your degree. That way, if you ever need them in the future, whether to prove to an employer that you completed the course, or for an advanced degree program, you should be able to get a transcript.
I'm only asking because I have this weird completionist streak going on. When I look at my TESU evaluation I see so many credits that are basically just sitting there. It disturbs me lol. I added an area of study and that put some to use and at first I was happy. But looking at it again today I realized I have about 66 that are just sitting and it makes me wanna do something with them. I know TESU will have them on my transcript I've seen it on my Associate's. I think I'm honestly trying to talk myself out of trying for a second Associates or some random certificate I don't need.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

What do you have that's going unused? I mean, if it's only going to take 1 or 2 more classes to get a random certificate, why not?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I transferred to UMPI with 186 credits. Then completed a few more Sophia classes. Then I took 16 more classes at UMPI. I only need 120 credits to graduate. But it has to be the correct 120 credits. The rest are just going to dangle in space with the rest of the space junk.
(02-20-2021, 05:23 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I'm only asking because I have this weird completionist streak going on. When I look at my TESU evaluation I see so many credits that are basically just sitting there. It disturbs me lol. I added an area of study and that put some to use and at first I was happy. But looking at it again today I realized I have about 66 that are just sitting and it makes me wanna do something with them. I know TESU will have them on my transcript I've seen it on my Associate's. I think I'm honestly trying to talk myself out of trying for a second Associates or some random certificate I don't need.

I'm in a similar situation, and I've always wanted some sort of IT degree...any at all, really.  Rightly or wrongly, I feel that it couldn't hurt from an employment perspective to be able to say, "Well yes, I have this particular skill set, and no, my IT training isn't all from the 80s and 90s...I have a recent IT degree as well".

I'm thinking of packing up my extra credits and my TEEX cybersecurity courses and applying for a Pierpont BOG AAS with an IT AOE.  If nothing else it'll look good on the wall, and it should cost very little, if anything.

Maybe something like that would work for you as well.
(02-20-2021, 07:37 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 05:23 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I'm only asking because I have this weird completionist streak going on. When I look at my TESU evaluation I see so many credits that are basically just sitting there. It disturbs me lol. I added an area of study and that put some to use and at first I was happy. But looking at it again today I realized I have about 66 that are just sitting and it makes me wanna do something with them. I know TESU will have them on my transcript I've seen it on my Associate's. I think I'm honestly trying to talk myself out of trying for a second Associates or some random certificate I don't need.

I'm in a similar situation, and I've always wanted some sort of IT degree...any at all, really.  Rightly or wrongly, I feel that it couldn't hurt from an employment perspective to be able to say, "Well yes, I have this particular skill set, and no, my IT training isn't all from the 80s and 90s...I have a recent IT degree as well".

I'm thinking of packing up my extra credits and my TEEX cybersecurity courses and applying for a Pierpont BOG AAS with an IT AOE.  If nothing else it'll look good on the wall, and it should cost very little, if anything.

Maybe something like that would work for you as well.

You can only get a Pierpont BOG AAS if you don't already have an AA or BA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-20-2021, 05:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote: What do you have that's going unused? I mean, if it's only going to take 1 or 2 more classes to get a random certificate, why not?
TESU advisors won't recommend / highly discourage certificates if one has enough credits for an associate or bachelor. 

At least that is what they keep telling me. Anyone else has same experience with this dealing with TESU?

Doesn't the paying student have a final say on what they want? Nowhere it says one cannot add a certificate.

Especially if cert is pertinent to any of the other degrees one is pursuing.
HA ! thought this was going to be about the youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/extracredits/playlists

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,759 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 906 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 801 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 451 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 229 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 9 932 05-30-2024, 08:16 PM
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 22 3,133 05-15-2024, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Travellifter
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,137 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,309 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 3,008 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM