Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Ins and Outs
Could someone provide a brief explanation on Excelsior and getting a degree there and the weird things that affect program planning. I've tried searching on the forum, but not really finding any consolidated information.

i.e. Excelsior won't accept CLEP for the Engl II requirement,
FEMA credits are accepted but have to be transposed by FCC.

I'm trying to work on a degree plan for a friend of mine, and they are by far the closest to a degree with Excelsior, but I'm not sure of their Ins and Outs as my experience is with TESU, APUS and WGU
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
What kind of program would your friend be doing - Liberal Arts?

You need to have two areas of depth which is 12 credits in one area, and 3 of them being upper level. At least for Liberal Arts (BA/BS).

Excelsior requires Information Literacy credit. Otherwise they are quite flexible on Gen Eds.

"For Excelsior, the Frederick Community College credit per hour price is currently $82 per hour."

This would be for the new Emergency Mgmt degree, it appears that the credits he has would all apply to the AOS instead of electives like most other schools. And the courses that would require testing out would be easier for him than what would be required for others.

I was also reading something about you have to have so many UL credits for the general education section... is this true?
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
30 upper level total. It says for a BA, all must be from arts and sciences. For a BS, 21 must be arts and sciences and 9 can be from applied professional areas. I don't know how many need to be from Gen Eds though. I'm guessing none have to be.

30 total for the entire degree including the AOS? Or is the AOS a separate requirement for UL credit?

Completed:
defscarlett Wrote:30 total for the entire degree including the AOS? Or is the AOS a separate requirement for UL credit?

Entire degree, but I was looking at the Liberal Arts catalog still.

I looked in their Public Service catalog and don't see Homeland Security and Emergency Mgmt degree requirements in there. I guess they are too new? But their other 3 Public Service degrees say 33 credits in AoS with 18 UL.

.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">Degree Chart - BS Homeland Security & Emergency Management.pdf (Size: 50.32 KB / Downloads: 4)

Here are the requirements for the EM degree. I'm just trying to figure out where the UL credits need to go and if he'll need UL Gen Eds in addition to AOS.

Completed:
Cool Chart.cheersmate

Where did you find it? This BS in Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) degree is less than a month old?

defscarlett Wrote:Degree Chart - BS Homeland Security & Emergency Management.pdf

Here are the requirements for the EM degree. I'm just trying to figure out where the UL credits need to go and if he'll need UL Gen Eds in addition to AOS.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Emailing admissions and advising and they emailed it to me

Completed:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 2,005 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,404 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,350 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,412 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 1,047 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,365 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,877 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,377 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,956 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 2,044 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn