Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Diploma RANT
Thank you so much, Snazz, for that great response! I was recently talking to some young college grad who snubbed her nose at those who got their degree entirely online. Her bone of contention was that people with online degrees (no consideration of RA or NA) are not socialized, and thus they do not get the same recognition from employers as those with degrees from a brick and mortar institution.

I am a single mom, and my reason for furthering my education is to not only be a model for my kids in this respect, but also to make more money. I am hopeful that getting not only a bachelor's degree, but also an MBA will help me to achieve these goals.

I am 43 years old and have been in the workforce for a number of years. Thus, I feel I can present myself as being quite socialized. I am getting my degree(s) online because there is no way my busy life can accommodate a B&M institution.

There are many "schools" of thought out there about RA vs. NA, online degrees vs. B&M's, Ivy League vs. lesser known institutions. My thought is that if someone has the fortitude, motivation, and scholastic ability to go after their degree, then they certainly deserve the accolades. But that's just me...
Machelle

HG&D - 62
Ed. Psych - 57
Humanities - 59
A&I Literature - 59
Here's To Your Health - 59
Fund. of Counseling - 49
Criminal Justice - 55
Intro to Law Enforcement - 51
I'm 25. I finished my degree at Excelsior and I would do it all over again. I did my "time" with a brick and mortar associates (the one that took me six years to complete), and I'm never looking back! I'm married and I have been working in the career field I want to stay in since I was 19. I don't need the socialization and job networking that many B &M schools provide. I've got that in spades with my current job, plus I have the relevant job experience that many freshly minted B & M grads lack. Oh, and I owe $0 in student loans-- my employer paid for most of that. Big Grin

Honestly, I think that the ignorance surrounding online degrees will disappear over time. We live in the Information Age, and I think we'll see the day when the online degrees outnumber the B & M ones due to the accessibility and often lower costs involved. Just my two cents.

Oh, and my father in law also thought that online degrees were all scams... and then he saw Uncle Sam recognize my legitimate online degree. Wink
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
Machelle Wrote:I was recently talking to some young college grad who snubbed her nose at those who got their degree entirely online. Her bone of contention was that people with online degrees (no consideration of RA or NA) are not socialized, and thus they do not get the same recognition from employers as those with degrees from a brick and mortar institution.

I can definitely see how an employer would look down upon somebody who missed all those weekend keggers at the fraternity house and random hookups with total strangers. Not to mention those sporting events where kids paint themselves blue from head-to-toe and go root for a perennial loser of a team. My god, what was I thinking, actually getting a job and not sponging off my folks for at least 4 more years?!? I'm screwed for life!
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
bawhitsett Wrote:I can definitely see how an employer would look down upon somebody who missed all those weekend keggers at the fraternity house and random hookups with total strangers. Not to mention those sporting events where kids paint themselves blue from head-to-toe and go root for a perennial loser of a team. My god, what was I thinking, actually getting a job and not sponging off my folks for at least 4 more years?!? I'm screwed for life!

[SIZE="5"][SIZE="2"]On the other hand......Who wants to throw a kegger just outside the entrance to EC?

Road Trip!!

I say we all paint ourselves Purple and Gold and stage a rally in the parking lot of 7 Columbia Circle in beautiful Albany, NY and demand a change in the diploma - Go Globes!![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="5"][SIZE="2"]On the other hand......Who wants to throw a kegger just outside the entrance to EC?

Road Trip!!

I say we all paint ourselves Purple and Gold and stage a rally in the parking lot of 7 Columbia Circle in beautiful Albany, NY and demand a change in the diploma - Go Globes!![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Maybe we all ought to do just that...and carry protest signs about the diploma!! LOL!!
Seriously, If it wasn't for this "mode" of education, this 47 year old (who started his college education at age 19), would never be 3 courses away from finally finishing this thing so I will be happy just to graduate. But it would be nice to have a respectable diploma to show for it.Rolleyes
-Need 6 more credits for Excelsior College BS in General Business
-Tested out of 46 credits to date
Credits to finish:
Operations Mgmt-CSU-Pueblo MGMT 311
Business Policy- CSU Pueblo MGMT 485 or TESC exam???
Quote:On the other hand......Who wants to throw a kegger just outside the entrance to EC?

Road Trip!!

I say we all paint ourselves Purple and Gold and stage a rally in the parking lot of 7 Columbia Circle in beautiful Albany, NY and demand a change in the diploma - Go Globes!!

I bet the arrest sheets would look better than the diploma!Big Grin
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="5"][SIZE="2"]On the other hand......Who wants to throw a kegger just outside the entrance to EC?

Road Trip!!

[/SIZE]

GREAT POST!!! hilarious
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein
Basket Weaver Wrote:I'm not so sure you should let it sway you, but I do understand what you're saying about how it will look. People are skeptical enough of online learning as it is, why give them ammunition like this cheesy diploma. I guess you get what you pay for..... No wait, that's not true here because I paid a lot for this....:eek:

That is exactly what I was going to say. Though it must not be over the top or many will feel that they are over compensating. Really, EC should rethink you can get a better looking diploma at a diploma mill. TESC I think has a very nice looking diploma and feel that they are my choice for my Criminal Justice degree, though I do not know what my diploma from American Military University will look like, have not been able to view one. Also, the University of Michigan is an extremely prestigous university, not because I love the Wolverines do I say, also that is a PhD. I would love to be a U of Michigan grad but know that will never happen.
Funny, I was just thinking about this thread yesterday. I was watching a medical training film at work and part of it featured an MD as an expert. One of her diplomas on the wall behind had a huge gold sticker in the bottom corner similar to Excelsior's. It made me chuckle. Wink
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
Hi all, I just received my diploma in the mail today and I wanted to revisit this thread to let everyone know that I am extremely pleased with it.

My diploma came in a nice purple and gold fold-over diploma cover with a piece of clear plastic over it. It has two gold seals affixed to it--one is the college seal and the other is my "Cum Laude" designation.

I believe that it looks very professional and I will be proud to display it.

Good luck all on your journey!
Chris
[SIZE="1"]120 credits, 3.60 GPA, B.S. General Business, Excelsior College to be conferred 6/20/08 Cool

CLEP Accounting-71, Humanities-70, Marketing-78, Macro-70, Sociology-66, HG&D-72, Management-77, American Gov't-63, Business Law-73, Edu Psych-67, Biology-71; DSST MIS-66, Statistics-78, Principles of Finance-66, Money & Banking-65, Health-65, Business Law II-69, Environment-68, HRM-70; ECE Ethics-A, Org Behavior-B, Info Lit-P, Labor Relations-C, Ops Mgt-A, Business Strategy-B[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 2,034 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,411 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,370 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,420 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 1,051 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,373 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Diploma at Commencement? KAnn 6 2,133 07-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Last Post: KAnn
Thumbs Up Finished My Bachelors, Received My Diploma! keepsingin 8 2,462 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,883 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,381 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning