Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Diploma RANT
Basket Weaver Wrote:It was a lot of work to accomplish just to be given something I could make in MS PowerPoint in about 10 minutes.

GOOD IDEA Lee!! Where can I place my order to get me a new one too? You've been looking for a little side business, seeing as how you have nothing else going on in your life... hilarious

P.S. Don't forget to put the little hunchback guy in the corner...oh wait...wrong school! Oh what the heck! Throw him in there anyway just for laughs! Big Grin
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Kiwi Lover Wrote:GOOD IDEA Lee!! Where can I place my order to get me a new one too? You've been looking for a little side business, seeing as how you have nothing else going on in your life... hilarious

P.S. Don't forget to put the little hunchback guy in the corner...oh wait...wrong school! Oh what the heck! Throw him in there anyway just for laughs! Big Grin

Actually JoAnne,

Since you guys really DO have a legitimate degree from Excelsior, it would NOT be unethical to design your own diploma for display purposes. That way you can keep your original diploma in a safe place where dust and sunlight cannot harm it.

Just a thought,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Would anyone like to give me their diploma and take the rest of my cleps I need to graduate???? nuff said Wink
TESC BA Social Sciences (Completed Feb 09)
Up next: Masters In Education/Adult Education and Training
25 Fema Credits -done Big Grin
Cleps taken:
Human Growth & Dev - passed
Intro to Ed Psych - passed
Sociology - passed
Analyz & Int Lit-passed
English w/essay-passed
Princ of Acct-passed Smile
Organizational Behavior-passed
Intro to Computing-passed
Ethics in America DSST-passed
Intro to World Religions-passed
Technical Writing-passed
Anthropology-passed
Social Science & History-passed
Humanities-passed:eek:
Substance Abuse-passed
Civil War and Reconstruction-passed :eek:
Psychology of Women TECEP- passed
I noticed a friend of mine who recently graduated from Excelsior's BS Liberal Arts degree, his diploma just says "Bachelors of Science" and mentions no "Liberal Arts" (just blank) under the Bachelor's of Science - is this normal for a BSLA degree? I noticed the Excelsior CIS degree posted had listed CIS under Bachelors of Science. Can someone clarify this?

-Maildog
MailDog Wrote:I noticed a friend of mine who recently graduated from Excelsior's BS Liberal Arts degree, his diploma just says "Bachelors of Science" and mentions no "Liberal Arts" (just blank) under the Bachelor's of Science - is this normal for a BSLA degree? I noticed the Excelsior CIS degree posted had listed CIS under Bachelors of Science. Can someone clarify this?

-Maildog

[SIZE="2"]If they have no major, then it simply reads B.S.[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="2"]If they have no major, then it simply reads B.S.[/SIZE]
Shoto (or anyone else),

This may be a stupid comment (wouldn't be the first time for me Rolleyes ), but I thought you HAD to declare a "major" even with the Liberal Arts degree?? That seems kind of useless for it to just say "Bachelor of Science", don't you think? :confused:

JoAnne
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
The way Excelsior lists the degrees on their enrollment application, it seems they don't consider Liberal Studies a major. They listed the degrees as:

Quote:Liberal Arts

AS Associate in Science
AA Associate in Arts
BSL Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies (no major)
BS Bachelor of Science with major (see #3 below)
BAL Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies (no major)
BA Bachelor of Arts with major (see #3 below)

So it does seem strange that they don't list it on the diploma, since it seems like part of the degree designation itself? (BSL or BAL) Not that I mind, though. I like the simplicity of "Bachelor of Science." Wink

I would assume they include "Liberal Studies" on the transcript though?
[COLOR="Navy"]BS Liberal Arts
Excelsior College

MS Psychology
California Coast University[/color]
Yes, it does say Liberal Arts on the transcript, and list my "areas of focus". It does not list my GPA though, that's something I had to send off a letter of request for. Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:Yes, it does say Liberal Arts on the transcript, and list my "areas of focus". It does not list my GPA though, that's something I had to send off a letter of request for. Lee

Basket Weaver, you mentioned that the diplomas do not include your GPA unless requested.

So, I would assume that the same goes for latin honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude)? Am I correct?:confused:

It's like winning 1st place in a race and being awarded a ribbon for participating.

This whole thing is beginning to make me wonder why I should even bother with a high GPA unless I need it for acceptance into Grad School.Sad

What say you?
[SIZE="4"]auminer49r[/SIZE]

Completed a B.S. in General Business
at Excelsior College (3.86 GPA)

Left to take:

NOTHING!!!

... But, I'm still sticking around...Smile
auminer49r Wrote:So, I would assume that the same goes for latin honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude)? Am I correct?:confused:
This whole thing is beginning to make me wonder why I should even bother with a high GPA unless I need it for acceptance into Grad School.Sad

What say you?

Honors are indicated on your gold seal on the diploma.

Acceptance into Grad School is a very legitimate reason for striving for a high GPA.

I find the fact that Excelsior does not list GPA's on the transcript curious, but I think it is a minor issue.
Most Graduate programs (at least the ones I've looked at) request transcripts of ALL undergraduate coursework you have completed, INCLUDING the lousy grades you may have culled with Excelsior. Once they have all your transcripts they will calculate the GPA themselves. Those lousy grades have a detrimental effect on your overall GPA, but you should keep this in mind if Grad School, after Excelsior, is in your plans.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,994 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,370 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 5,310 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,410 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 1,045 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,360 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Diploma at Commencement? KAnn 6 2,085 07-09-2018, 05:15 PM
Last Post: KAnn
Thumbs Up Finished My Bachelors, Received My Diploma! keepsingin 8 2,451 07-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Last Post: alleycat
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,874 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,372 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning