Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Management Degree Plan Confusion
Hello!

Have a question for you wonderful people....

I have decided on UMPI BABA Project Management program. I am following the degree plan on the Wiki to the T, but I am confused on the electives....

For example, BUS 440 can be accomplished with IBM Data Analyst Certificate which transfers in as BUS 440, and 9 credits BUS1XX (business electives).

Sorry if I sound silly, but what are business electives? Also, even with these electives the degree plan says I still need 20 general elective credits. Is there any reason for this? Are these electives from the Coursera courses accounted for in this degree plan?

Thanks!

P.S. - I appreciate all the motivation I've gained from this forum. 30 days in and I already have several courses completed with Sophia!
In this context, Business electives are courses that fall into the category of "business" but that otherwise don't correspond to any degree requirements.

UMPI says that the BABA PM&IS degree has 18-21 credits of general electives. On the wiki, the Coursera certificate isn't counted in the electives because not all students want to take the certificate. Some would rather complete BUS440 at UMPI. This is similar to how BUS141 can be fulfilled with Sophia's Project Management, but we usually recommend students not do that. BUS141 leads directly into BUS400 and BUS401, so it's usually easier/faster to complete these classes together at UMPI instead of transferring in some of them.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
@dcacosta, it also depends on the student, the cost, energy, time involved for the courses plus what the student needs/wants... I suggest doing the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, for the learning and extra knowledge. What I mean by that is, since you're getting the Coursera freebies, is to actually complete the certificate, if you don't need the credit, transfer it in anyways, then ask to TAKE the course it transfers in as for GPA & residency purposes...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Ok it makes sense now. So if I did do all the coursera courses, I would have completed all my electives.

Thanks!
Hey y'all! Me again...

OK so I am still mapping out my degree plan and I went over to UMPI's YourPace website. When looking at the degree requirements for the BABA PM, I don't see the PCJ 215 listed. Is this class no longer a degree requirement? I was going to take it at SDC but if I don't have to that's great.

Also, it says to take 2 of the following: BUS 245, BUS 401 or BUS 359  

Is this new because it's a bit different from the degree plan.

Thanks!

P.S. Forgive me, not sure if this should be a new thread or not.
1) PCJ 215 is listed, in the general education requirements... You're just a little confused as you're looking at the major requirements. You need to click the bottom link here: http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=223

2) No, follow the requirements, just take two of the following it mentioned.  Find which courses you really want to take or have interest in... You really need to keep things simple and follow the degree plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

(10-21-2023, 06:25 PM)dcacosta Wrote: When looking at the degree requirements for the BABA PM, I don't see the PCJ 215 listed.

It's still listed here:
Program: Business Administration, Project Management & Information Systems Concentration
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
origamishuttle Wrote:It's still listed here:
Program: Business Administration, Project Management & Information Systems Concentration

Yes, but that's an archived older catalog year. Here's the newest one, and it will show up in the link at the top for the General Education and not in the Major requirements... http://catalog.umpi.edu/preview_program....turnto=225

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
The degree plan initially confused me since it has PCJ 215 listed under the major requirements. But I get it now. Just wanted to cross check with the university's website. It all makes sense now! Thanks to the both of you Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes dcacosta's post:
  • origamishuttle
Just wanted to give an update on this…

Turns out PCJ 215 is no longer a requirement for BABA. I received my degree status report and it was not listed as a degree requirement. Someone might want to update the wiki.

Thanks!
[-] The following 2 users Like dcacosta's post:
  • Indieblue, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 19 1,315 09-12-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  Seeking Academic Writing Resources for UMPI BAS Degree garveymoshe 2 160 09-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Decision time: BABA/Leadership vs BLS/Management Kjnova 88 5,800 09-08-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 4 697 08-26-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  BLS Minor in Management Plan mohelena02 5 377 08-25-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 16 1,664 08-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  how to know which transfer credits will apply to degree? skinmasksean 7 479 07-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: skinmasksean
  Project Management - STD credits or Google Certifications DavidGood 6 1,086 07-23-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: tdat314
  Help - UMPI Degree Plan Tequila 4 519 07-16-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Job seeking with bls with management and project management minor bvndz 11 1,810 07-09-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts