Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECE - World Pop feedback
Hoorah!!!!

I am just back hilarious from the ECE World Population Exam and got a B grade. I would have got an A but for some silly mistakes.

I followed the tips given by everyone and I studied only from Thursday evening to Monday and took the exam on Tuesday morning.

The method I adopted was as under:

- went through ECE in Instantcert and made notes as I read through
- went through the Powerpoint slides for the textbook (Intro to Concepts and Issues by John Weeks)
- went through the prb bulletins (population handbook)
- morning of the exam - reviewed notes from Instantcert

The questions that I got on the exam predominantly related to overview of world population, fertility, mortality, demographic perspectives and population issues.

The key things to remember are:
- gain a good understanding of the overview of world population
- remember the different ways of calculating the various mortality and fertility rates
- understand the relationship between fertility and mortality on the increase/decrease in population
- read about China and India and their contribution to world population in terms of number and percentage
- read about the impact of migration in the US
- be sure to go through the case studies on the future of population (that is where I lost out).

Hope this will help anyone who is going to take the exam.

Regards and all the best.
Andy
Great job, a "B" on this test is a good score. I've also added your feedback to the Specific Exam Feedback Section. Keep up the good work!
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Thanks for the info. One question I have for those who have recently taken this exam- population, percentages, etc. for US, India,China,is it based off 2000 census or the population now?
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
they must have thrown a tough test at me, I studied IC pretty good. I sat down for that test and I was clueless for about the first 15 questions. I almost gave up then it progressively got easier.

They asked a lot of questions on Demographic transitions.

I got a C but I probably could have done better if I bought the book. I pretty much used IC only.

I hear people talk about how easy this test is. I don't think it was easy but maybe I had a harder test than usual or I'm just dumber than everyone else lol but hey, at least I passed.
april004 Wrote:Thanks for the info. One question I have for those who have recently taken this exam- population, percentages, etc. for US, India,China,is it based off 2000 census or the population now?

Yea there was a few questions regarding the U.S. American 2000 census and China.

Learn the history of fertility control in China.
They asked questions like

What's the number one method of contraception?

Since 1980 where are the most immigrants coming from into the U.S.

know the theorists on population.
Know the views of malthius and marx and a few others.

They would make a statement and ask who would most likely to agree with this statement.

so you have to know their views. I think IC and the recommended text and you can definitely pull a A in this.
Gary Wrote:I'd like to thank the following indirectly for giving me the ammunition for my upcoming battle w/World Population. Kiwi Lover, sgloer, Basket Weaver, Katterina, mikegill820, gcalvin, anmer, johnnysc430 and anyone else I left off.

PS: Just aim and fire. I know my rifle works, I'm a little concerned about the 5" gun mount

This billboard is free.
I spoke too soon. Just got back from ECE World Population and I passed the Top Secret Clearance portion of it w/an A.
The actual test I got a C and like Johnny said, I thought it was hard. I also was lost for the first 15 minutes. The first 30 questions must have been the work zone, it was bumpy as hell. I studied a lot using InstaCert which was helpful, but definitely you need more. I also read various sections on the website as well as posts on this site. This is the first C I have gotten in over 20 years and I am officially through taking ECE's or anything like that. For the effort I gave, there's no way I am going through that again. I am an independent study and online learner. I was up most of the day before and worked all night and slept 2 and 1/2 hrs before the hr drive to it. It's not worth the aggravation. I'm not blaming it on my sked either. I wouldn't have done any better if I slept 10 hrs. I found it extremely boring. Like someone else posted, I knew the demographic transition theory and I knew the answers of what others posted before. Maybe that was for DSST's or CLEP's, I don't know.
What I saw on it was;
Know Demograhic Transition Theory
Know Crude Birth Rate, General Fertility Rate, Total Fertility Rate, Gross Reproductive Rate, basically know all the birth rates!
Know the total/net/turnover rate for migration, out/in-migration.
Asked about trends
A few questions about urban population, can't remember which ones
(2) ques on demograhic change and response
(1) on push-pull, ans was push
(1) content error
(1) sample survey
Population of China now
" " of India now
couple of ques on fertility
Know the population pyramids, there were 2-3 ques on those
(1) Fecundity, ans ability to produce children
(1) Breastfeeding, ans was nipple stimulation prevents onset of menstruation
(1) Supply-Demand, can't remember
(1) Sub-Saharan Africa & Asia, ans= increase in urbanization 2000-2025
Know % of populations, someone before said know top 5, for me it was top 3
(1) Total population, ans=6.6 bil
(1) Opportunity, ans concerned time/money
(1) Homicide, ans US #1
A few on Malthus, one or two on Mill, one on Durkheim, none on Dumont, a
couple on Neo-Malthusian, one on Julian Simon, no Warren Thompson
or Boserup but there was one or two on people I never heard of.
Basically, know your people! Know World Population. If your receptive to this type of info, you'll probably do well, maybe.
Time to hit the sack. Wish I could pay it forward. I probably should have gotten the book but since I need about 6 classes now, I will use APUS (1) BYU (1)
U of Idaho (1), U of Wisconsin (1) and as much as I talk bad about them, TESC (6 cr Global Env Change). I'll leave ECE's to the rest of you. I'm not crazy about them. Wish I could have helped more. I gotta agree w/Johnny
Excellent feedback, I'm sure it is bound to help future test-takers.

World Pop can be a tough test so don't be too hard on yourself...just think how P/Oed you'd be if you had failed...the "C" doesn't seem so bad then.Big Grin Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:Excellent feedback, I'm sure it is bound to help future test-takers.

World Pop can be a tough test so don't be too hard on yourself...just think how P/Oed you'd be if you had failed...the "C" doesn't seem so bad then.Big Grin Lee
I agree Lee. This was humbling. I thought I was prepared and I expected this to be easy. On one hand I am glad it's one more down, on the other, I expected better of myself. What's hard to believe are the people who talk about how very little they study, then pass w/an A and say how easy it is. You have to wonder. I know there are people out there who can give InstaCert the old one or two through and with collateral type courses get an A. But very minimal study and then say it's easy. I understand lucky, but easy, these courses aren't set up that way. Anyway, I'm gonna saddle up. Appreciate it Lee.
Got a C after two days of cramming. My first ECE. I am sooo used to DSST and CLEP, that was a LOOOOONG test!
19 DSST attempted - 54 credits awarded (1 unsuccessful)
11 CLEP attempted - 24 credits awarded (5 unsuccessful)
1 ECE attempted - 3 credits

CCAC AA
CCAF AAS
TESC BALS (Dec 2010 graduate)
Gary Wrote:I agree Lee. This was humbling. I thought I was prepared and I expected this to be easy. On one hand I am glad it's one more down, on the other, I expected better of myself. What's hard to believe are the people who talk about how very little they study, then pass w/an A and say how easy it is. You have to wonder. I know there are people out there who can give InstaCert the old one or two through and with collateral type courses get an A. But very minimal study and then say it's easy. I understand lucky, but easy, these courses aren't set up that way. Anyway, I'm gonna saddle up. Appreciate it Lee.

Gary,

There's a flip side to this line of thinking. I agree with you that this was a tough test and that some people seem to breeze through it with very little studying. However...I too have breezed through some tough tests as well with basic studying...it all comes down to individual comprehension levels, course interest levels, and test versions. I encourage all readers of this post to make it a personal quest with YOURSELF and to forget about the the test pass rate statistics, pass scores, and how long you studied for. These are great things to brag about if you did well on but are serious inhibitors to studying for an exam. Only YOU will know when you're ready and if you've studied enough. There are a few here who have kicked butt on EVERY test (kudos to them that do too!), but for the most part we have all faltered and fallen from time to time. As with life...learn from these shortcomings and apply the life lessons to future tests to better enable a passing score.

You are an individual...no other person will ever be like you...that said, learn what works for you and encourage yourself with each successful preparation and pass. You are your own best coach...(although the efforts of this forum help tooBig Grin ) Continue to better and encourage yourself and you WILL succeed. Best of luck, Lee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resources to prepare for ECE World Population leefleming 2 337 07-25-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: leefleming
  Cured! World First! bjcheung77 0 348 02-14-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The most widely spoken languages in the world bjcheung77 10 1,116 12-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  TECEP Advertising updates or recent feedback? seanmathews 5 938 10-09-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,289 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Slowest student in the world... bjcheung77 1 577 05-22-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 833 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,098 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Why Divergent Thinkers Beat Geniuses in the Real World LevelUP 1 558 01-20-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Khan World School - College Prep partnership with ASU bjcheung77 0 655 10-15-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77