Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree?
Well

I've spent the last five years working for police departments at community colleges and universities in my region, and I've applied for a ton of jobs in my almost-fifty years of age.

In my limited opinion, the answer is, yes. Some people and places DO look down at online school grads.

Outside academia, employers only seem to know a handful of colleges, and the rest fall in a grey area. Have a decent answer when they ask you about it in the interview.

Inside academia... it's a whole other world. Credentials are their lives. They look down on associates, but they ABSOLUTELY look down on people with no degrees. (Part of why I started this journey was after one particular event with a decidedly sour doctorate...)

Everywhere I go, I hear people talking crap about online degrees. Most when pressed do it because they are ignorant of what's been going on with education the last five-ten years. The internet puts a hurt on traditional schooling. But there are a lot of people that associate online / distance education with 'diploma mills'.

This is the bleeding edge of education, with the other being immersive technology education. (I'm watching 'teacher in a box' and using virtual reality really take off.)

If you're concerned about name brand recognition (I kinda am), harvard and loyola both have online degree programs... lol Even then, there will be a stigma. The people that had to spend years slugging it out in classrooms sometimes hold a grudge towards compressed and online degreed recipients. I was at a guys' house the other day that told me, (when it happens for me) "we both may be bachelors, but I (he) earned mine the old fashioned way..."

Is what it is. Be prepared to sell your experience until general acceptance comes (and, I feel it will. These kids and their internets... lol)
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 1 user Likes High_Order1's post:
  • Kev

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree? - by High_Order1 - 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI/Machine Learning Subject Based BS degree vetvso 4 299 10-18-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  people who have multiple degrees crowbird 31 1,927 10-17-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  AACSB Certified Online Business School? Trich1996 15 676 10-09-2024, 11:28 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  California bans legacy admissions in all colleges, universities LevelUP 0 183 10-07-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 515 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,719 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 540 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,858 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 9,252 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,426 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow