Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Nomad - Remote work in various countries
Hmm, anyone here living the digital nomad lifestyle? Life/Work balance seems to be the thing now with remote work, there are some countries (just a small list here) that offer a few options, it's like going on a vacation and working at the same time... Wouldn't it be nice for a life, school, work, etc where you can also travel the entire year or two?

Link: 14 BEST Countries for Digital Nomads (2023'S TOP DESTINATIONS) (thebrokebackpacker.com)
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In the case for Mexico for non Mexican citizens, it is important for people to keep their eyes open about the new proposed law (hasn’t passed so far but anything can happen since presidential electrions are coming).

Mexico has been cracking on nomad visa dodgers. Before the pandemic, they would turn a blind eye on Americans crossing the Belizean border for a weekend trip every 6 months (they were cracking down on South American passport holders but they now do this with everyone).

Plenty of Americans and Canadians have gotten deported from Mexico City in the past year for not declaring a digital nomad visa status before their first 6 month tourism permit ended. Furthermore, I believe they are getting more stringent with visitors that give vibes they are not tourists.

The new law proposes a monthly tax depending on the USD salary caps to curb gentrification in Mexico City and Quintana Roo. Nomads making 6 figure salaries in the US might be red lined from renting property in certain neighborhoods. This law hasn’t passed, but with elections coming and the gentrified areas a highly coveted voting bloc, it would be a good idea to stay up to date and be compliant to new laws. As far as I know, this law does not affect Mexican citizens nor FM3 visa holders.
[-] The following 3 users Like Avidreader's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts, staceydiane
Quote:Broke Backpacker quote: For many moons, I traveled the world on $10 a day, living rough, picking up random jobs, hitchhiking, Couchsurfing… It was an incredible experience.

I would say forget all that living rough stuff. You can travel to lots of countries for $2000 a month.

Affordable countries to visit are Central/South America, Asia, Africa, and Eastern Europe, where you can visit Romania and say hi to Andrew Tate.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • kai1120, Messdiener, staceydiane
Not entirely sure how it is now that they've joined the Eurozone, but Croatia was lovely and cost considerably less than $2k/mo. there. As long as you weren't going out partying every night or whatever.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Charles Fout
We have lived this lifestyle to a degree. Mexico, Central America, Europe, the Balkans and traveled the US in our RV through 34 states. We love it, but life/aging parents and kids needing different structure and social life has us back more right now.

Croatia is amazing. We got stuck in a blizzard in our cars on our first night there, all 5 of us across two cars in a tiny welcoming town that was not expecting 300 stranded travelers, but handled it with grace. That was wild (and the weather was very atypical for croatia). I would do an extended stay in Croatia again, as would my wife and family. Amazing people, culture, food, views, geography and history. Costs were very reasonable for just about everything, but especially food and rent.

Typically I continue to work US hours, but in Europe that works really well because I can get up in the morning and go see the sights, have breakfast or brunch out, go shopping and run errands. Then I can be online by 1-2pm European time to start my day with the US based team's schedule. I work through dinner time most nights, but I get to explore in daytime.
Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Applied Science, Minors: Management Info Systems & Political Science, summa cum laude
2022 Pierpont BOG AAS, Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
[-] The following 2 users Like Tswede's post:
  • rachel83az, staceydiane
I currently work and live in Penang Malaysia. I have done this across Asia, and parts of Europe since 2003. It is much easier now with Internet advancements, and being able to take classes online. Your standard of living dictates how you live, and currency valuations also help allot.
ENEB MBA - Project Management and International Trade 
ENEB Post Graduate Program in Project Management 
TESU BALS Social Sciences 2019
UAF & Taiwan Foreign Languages German & Mandarin Programs
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Full-time ex-pats, our blog is here. ExploreTraveler.com Also, our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog.
Georgetown (the other name for Penang)... I've been there twice! Nice area of Malaysia... I think Indonesia/Malaysia are my top pics, Vietnam/Philippines are right there too... *sigh*, gonna have to save up some cash flow and travel next year!

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • staceydiane
(09-25-2023, 05:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Georgetown (the other name for Penang)... I've been there twice!  Nice area of Malaysia...  I think Indonesia/Malaysia are my top pics, Vietnam/Philippines are right there too... *sigh*, gonna have to save up some cash flow and travel next year!

So far things are still economical here. However inflation is running high, and one day may impact me. On another note, good degrees are cheaper here, and except for a few executive MBAs, they are much less than in the USA.
ENEB MBA - Project Management and International Trade 
ENEB Post Graduate Program in Project Management 
TESU BALS Social Sciences 2019
UAF & Taiwan Foreign Languages German & Mandarin Programs
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Full-time ex-pats, our blog is here. ExploreTraveler.com Also, our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog.
(09-25-2023, 09:18 PM)vetvso Wrote:
(09-25-2023, 05:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Georgetown (the other name for Penang)... I've been there twice!  Nice area of Malaysia...  I think Indonesia/Malaysia are my top pics, Vietnam/Philippines are right there too... *sigh*, gonna have to save up some cash flow and travel next year!

So far things are still economical here. However inflation is running high, and one day may impact me. On another note, good degrees are cheaper here, and except for a few executive MBAs, they are much less than in the USA.

Tell us more about these Malaysian degrees! After all, that's what we're all here for. Big Grin
Yes, please share, I love it when people tell about their experiences. In the meantime, people interested in specific countries may search the forum for Malaysia, India, or whatever other countries that interest you. There are some threads, even for graduate studies, you'll find at least some... If need be, you can always sign up for the sister board too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,722 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 1,073 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Remote Proctoring deemed illegal as violation of 4th amendment rights? MNomadic 45 4,041 08-26-2022, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Digital School aims to educate 1 million refugees bjcheung77 0 521 05-16-2022, 11:34 PM
  Pearson Acquires Digital Credentialing Leader Credly AllThose299s 8 1,321 01-31-2022, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Technion PhD students - Digital Tools for Genetic Counseling bjcheung77 0 571 01-29-2022, 03:58 AM
  IDEA has lost its two founders, who began in remote South Texas in 2000 bjcheung77 1 694 01-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Arden University - Undergrad/Grad Scholarships (selective countries only) bjcheung77 0 889 08-15-2021, 07:30 PM
  IU & LSBU Dual Degree (FREE iPad & No extra work required) bjcheung77 13 4,412 08-11-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: msa145
  Remote Exam Proctoring Software/System bjcheung77 3 1,231 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Last Post: innen_oda