Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
doctoral at AMA
Hey everyone ,  I'm currently enrolled in DIT from AMA , I just find out that WES evaluated both DIT and DBA of AMA as equivalent to a master degree, I'm looking for other options in the states  ,  the average price in the US is around 70k$ ,  AMA price is about 3k $ this is the reason why I didn't finished my education in the states , guys let me know if there's any way I can afford PhD in the state or get schoolership or other means of payment ( job's that offer tuition  ...ect , background : BABA from UMPI and master in data analysis from WGU , plus IT certification I heard that it's possible to get a PhD from Europe for almost free , you have to submit a research topics and wait to see if it was accepted any information on this "  I will get better answer on the sister board but I wasn't able to post anything on it , I have to talke with members who have access..later on "
Any PhD worth its salt in the US is going to be funded (free) and full time. Very competitive.

European PhDs can be “free” but there also a lot off disclaimers mostly involving residency. My masters certainly was not free as an international student.

In short, no, unless you are an absolute standout researcher and you get a grant, nothing is going to be even close to free or cheap.
(09-21-2024, 03:19 PM)Duneranger Wrote: Any PhD worth its salt in the US is going to be funded (free) and full time. Very competitive.

What an intresting comment. What do you based this on ? What are the merits
DNP, MBA, MSIO
Ph.D. candidate - Leadership emphasis in Business 96% complete
University of the Cumberlands
[-] The following 1 user Likes xspect's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
(Yesterday, 10:50 AM)xspect Wrote:
(09-21-2024, 03:19 PM)Duneranger Wrote: Any PhD worth its salt in the US is going to be funded (free) and full time. Very competitive.

I have a challenge for you. Call up any PhD program at an average state university and ask them how PhD students pay for their schooling.

If you are paying for a PhD, you are doing it wrong. You are literally doing research FOR the school (which gets research grants) as a full time job. There is a reason why most get stipends to live on top of free tuition.

This doesn’t apply to professional doctorates like DPT or EdD….

I am talking about PhDs, it seems like a lot of people don’t really understand what a PhD entails. It’s not just like a masters degree, it’s very distinct. Also a reason why 99% of them aren’t online.
When it comes to funding, it depends on the state and the field. In my state, the PhD programs at public universities have paid assistantships, but they're not allowed to fully waive tuition unless it is covered by grant funding. In some fields, there isn't a lot of grant funding to cover everyone's tuition, and the students' research doesn't really bring money to the school.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(Yesterday, 08:24 PM)Duneranger Wrote:

I have a challenge for you. Call up any PhD program at an average state university and ask them how PhD students pay for their schooling.

If you are paying for a PhD, you are doing it wrong. You are literally doing research FOR the school (which gets research grants) as a full time job. There is a reason why most get stipends to live on top of free tuition.

I am talking about PhDs, it seems like a lot of people don’t really understand what a PhD entails. It’s not just like a masters degree, it’s very distinct. Also a reason why 99% of them aren’t online.

There are people who self-fund or get independent funding for their degrees. When I was in a PhD program (at a top 10 public school) I had to work as a TA to pay for my degree. I could have taken a salary as a TA, but I instead used that money to fund the degree. How is that different?
-
Joe
(Yesterday, 09:11 PM)sanantone Wrote: When it comes to funding, it depends on the state and the field. In my state, the PhD programs at public universities have paid assistantships, but they're not allowed to fully waive tuition unless it is covered by grant funding. In some fields, there isn't a lot of grant funding to cover everyone's tuition, and the students' research doesn't really bring money to the school.

Being a TA is a part of the funding process plus grants. If you are going for a PhD with no money or grants you need to rethink your field or school. Paying for a PhD is an awful ROI

(Yesterday, 11:49 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote:

There are people who self-fund or get independent funding for their degrees. When I was in a PhD program (at a top 10 public school) I had to work as a TA to pay for my degree. I could have taken a salary as a TA, but I instead used that money to fund the degree. How is that different?
Being a TA is a part of the funding process as are tuition waivers or grants. YOU are an asset to the school and field. If you are paying for a PhD, you should probably rethink your decision. There are thousands of unemployed PhDs out there or folks who never get tenure.

No idea when you were in a PhD program or what program it was, but most research universities waive tuition today. It was less common decades ago.

Bringing it back to the OP, what they want for the average student doesn't exist.
(10 hours ago)Duneranger Wrote:
(Yesterday, 09:11 PM)sanantone Wrote: When it comes to funding, it depends on the state and the field. In my state, the PhD programs at public universities have paid assistantships, but they're not allowed to fully waive tuition unless it is covered by grant funding. In some fields, there isn't a lot of grant funding to cover everyone's tuition, and the students' research doesn't really bring money to the school.

Being a TA is a part of the funding process plus grants. If you are going for a PhD with no money or grants you need to rethink your field or school. Paying for a PhD is an awful ROI

(Yesterday, 11:49 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote:

Being a TA is a part of the funding process as are tuition waivers or grants. YOU are an asset to the school and field. If you are paying for a PhD, you should probably rethink your decision. There are thousands of unemployed PhDs out there or folks who never get tenure.

No idea when you were in a PhD program or what program it was, but most research universities waive tuition today. It was less common decades ago.

Bringing it back to the OP, what they want for the average student doesn't exist.

The program I was in is still like that. Criminal justice isn't a lucrative grant field, but the program I was in is well-ranked, and almost everyone who wanted a tenure-track position got one. The school offered a higher than average stipend to compensate for the lack of a tuition waiver. 

Something else to keep in mind is that some traditional PhD students still take out loans to cover living expenses because the stipends can be poverty level.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
What school is AMA?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 5 720 05-20-2024, 02:17 AM
Last Post: mdn