Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning - BAPsych
Smile 
Your Location: Oklahoma, United States.
Your Age: 35F
What kind of degree do you want?: Psychology (Preferably PhD or PsyD ultimately)
Current Regional Accredited Credits: They are old and I am just going to leave them be

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

Sophia Credits: 85

Anatomy & Physiology I, 2023, 3cr, 91% A
Ancient Greek Philosophers, 3cr, 81% B
Approaches to Studying Religions, 2020, 3cr, 94% A
Art History I, 2023, 3cr, 91% A
Art History II, 2023, 3cr, 94% A
Business Law, 2023, 3cr, 93% A
Chemistry, 2023, 3cr, 88%
College Algebra, 2023, 3cr, 93% A
Conflict Resolution, 2023, 3cr,
Developing Effective Teams, 2019, 1cr, 78% C
Environmental Science, 2023, 3cr, 86% B
Essentials of Managing Conflict, 2019, 1cr, 95% A
Financial Accounting, 2020, 3cr, 91% A
Human Biology, 2023, 3cr, 99% A
Human Biology LAB, 2023, 1cr, 93% A
Intro to Business, 2023, 3cr, 100% A
Intro to Ethics, 2023, 3cr, 96% A
Intro to IT, 2023, 3cr, 91% A
Intro to Nutrition, 2023, 3cr, 94% A
Intro to Psychology, 2023, 3cr, 97% A
Intro to Sociology, 2023, 3cr, 97% A
Intro to Statistics, 2023, 3cr, 94% A
Intro to Web Development, 2023, 3cr, 92% A
Macroeconomics, 2023, 3cr, 94% A
Microeconomics, 2023, 3cr, 87% B
Principles of Finance, 2023, 3cr, 93% A
Project Management, 2023, 3cr, 99% A
Spanish I, 2023, 3cr, 96%
Student Success, 2019, 1cr, 97% A
US Government, 2023, 3cr, 94%
US History I, 3cr, 91% A
Visual Communications, 2023, 3cr 93% A

Study.com Credits: 15cr -completed, 6cr in Progress

Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace, 2023, 3cr, 87% B
Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology, 2023, 3cr, 93% A
Psychology 104: Social Psychology, 2023, 3cr, 94% A
Psychology 107: Life Span Developmental Psych, 2023, 3cr, (Finished, Being graded)
Psychology 302: Cognitive Psychology, 2023, 3cr, (Finished, Being Graded)
Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality (Started, 25% Complete)
English 104: College Comp I (Started)

Curious if they will take the following from SDC:

Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality (SDC)?
Can this transfer as PSY 370: Personality (UMPI)

Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation (SDC)? Can this be used as an upper level psych course?

Psychology 105: Research methods in Psychology (SDC)?
Can this replace PSY 311: Research Methods I (UMPI)

Licenses: I have a cosmetology license in 2 states

Budget: I am a single parent and I qualify for the full pell grant. I'd like to go the cheapest route possible.

Commitments: I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends. I am committed and dedicated to working hard though.

Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 3 hours every week night and on the weekends, maybe 6 hours, total would be roughly 15+12=27 hours or slightly more.

Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal. I would like to finish within the bachelors within a year. Masters/PhD in 3 years.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Full Pell Grant

--------------

I have also owned my own business for over 15 years, I know that may not count for anything, but just in case I can utilize that experience for any reason.

I applied for the BOG Degree W/Pierpont, but didn't click the BOG option, so I am accepted as a regular student and cannot connect with the registrar to fix the problem. So I may not worry about that. I did send my 9 RA Credits to them, for purposes of fulfilling the RA requirement, but did not include them here, as I don't intend to use them for UMPI.

--------------

Any advice or suggestions on the best routes to take to lead me into grad school after UMPI- BA Psych would also be amazing! Thank you in advance! I read on here constantly and see your dedication. (Quick side question: it's been a week since I turned in a final paper at SDC, is it typical to take that long? How difficult are the graders?)
Basically, complete your Sophia.org and other ACE credit, Apply, get your transcripts from the old institution to transfer into UMPI, wait for evaluation to determine your final courses required at UMPI for the degree. You need to send in the older transcripts as your old institution should be part of National Student Clearing House and institutions would find out you've attended and will be waiting for transcripts. It may bite you in the end when graduation comes for final audit...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Caliokiegirl, RachelB
Why wouldnt you use yout 9 RA credits for umpi? Any reason. Does umpi have an age limit for credits.
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • Caliokiegirl, HeatherCO
(09-12-2023, 04:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, complete your Sophia.org and other ACE credit, Apply, get your transcripts from the old institution to transfer into UMPI, wait for evaluation to determine your final courses required at UMPI for the degree.  You need to send in the older transcripts as your old institution should be part of National Student Clearing House and institutions would find out you've attended and will be waiting for transcripts.  It may bite you in the end when graduation comes for final audit...

Okay, thank you! Do you see anything else that I need to complete for UMPI Gen Ed? Thank you for letting me know about the NSCH. I thought I had read somewhere that old credits can sometimes not be useful.

My additional reasoning, was that I dropped a class after the withdraw date my first semester. Then I, 18-years old (facepalm), got married the second semester, then pregnant a few months later, and was so sick I had to drop 15 credits. So they put me on academic probation. My grades were all A's though, so I suppose that is good. I just figured the academic probation wouldn't look good.

(09-12-2023, 04:45 PM)natshar Wrote: Why wouldnt you use yout 9 RA credits for umpi? Any reason. Does umpi have an age limit for credits.

Mostly because I dropped a class after the withdraw date my first semester. Then I, at 18-years old (facepalm), got married the second semester, then pregnant a few months later, and was so sick I had to drop 15 credits. So they put me on academic probation. My grades were all A's though, so I suppose that is good. I just figured the academic probation wouldn't look good.

I also thought I had read somewhere that old credit was sometimes not accepted after a certain point, but I will pull the transcript over, because of bjcheung77's advice for sure.
Leaving your old credits out is usually not an option. Most schools will find out about your previous attendance and insist that you submit the transcript before graduation, so you might as well get it done now.

Also, the schools we talk about here take all applicants, so they won't care in the slightest if you were on academic probation. In fact, so far in the past, even more competitive schools would likely overlook that sort of thing. Adults going back to school are usually much better students the second time around.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • Caliokiegirl, CatsDomino, rachel83az
Being in a doctoral program, like a PhD or PsyD, is my only concern for you. When I was in my doctoral program it was a full-time job with 50-60 hours a week. A PsyD may be more forgiving since it generally involves less research. Avoid the unfunded, high-priced, non-APA accredited and online for-profit PsyD schools. The education is suspect at best. This is something you really want to do in person/full-time. I had to quit work and live off of COL FAFSA loans. It wasn't fun but it was necessary as my program made me agree to not work.

PhDs in psych are generally 5-7 years and PsyDs are 5 years too..

A MFT/LCSW or counseling masters degree may be more forgiving.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • Caliokiegirl
(09-12-2023, 05:52 PM)Duneranger Wrote: Being in a doctoral program, like a PhD or PsyD, is my only concern for you. When I was in my doctoral program it was a full-time job with 50-60 hours a week. A PsyD may be more forgiving since it generally involves less research. Avoid the unfunded, high-priced, non-APA accredited and online for-profit PsyD schools. The education is suspect at best. This is something you really want to do in person/full-time. I had to quit work and live off of COL FAFSA loans. It wasn't fun but it was necessary as my program made me agree to not work.

I appreciate your feedback. I figured that I would likely have to give it my full-time attention at that point. If I do go that far, I will take note of your advice. The PsyD sounds better suited for me. I need to explore the counseling masters. I would love to be able to perform evaluations, which would be a limitation with only a masters. 

Congratulations on your dedication and hard work by the way!
(09-12-2023, 06:41 PM)Caliokiegirl Wrote:
(09-12-2023, 05:52 PM)Duneranger Wrote: Being in a doctoral program, like a PhD or PsyD, is my only concern for you. When I was in my doctoral program it was a full-time job with 50-60 hours a week. A PsyD may be more forgiving since it generally involves less research. Avoid the unfunded, high-priced, non-APA accredited and online for-profit PsyD schools. The education is suspect at best. This is something you really want to do in person/full-time. I had to quit work and live off of COL FAFSA loans. It wasn't fun but it was necessary as my program made me agree to not work.

I appreciate your feedback. I figured that I would likely have to give it my full-time attention at that point. If I do go that far, I will take note of your advice. The PsyD sounds better suited for me. I need to explore the counseling masters. I would love to be able to perform evaluations, which would be a limitation with only a masters. 

Congratulations on your dedication and hard work by the way!

Thanks! Best of luck! I am not trying to be a downer, just wanted to give some perspective after being in a field adjacent to psych for a while.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • Caliokiegirl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Academic Writing Resources for UMPI BAS Degree garveymoshe 2 160 09-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 4 694 08-26-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 16 1,663 08-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  how to know which transfer credits will apply to degree? skinmasksean 7 478 07-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: skinmasksean
  Help - UMPI Degree Plan Tequila 4 519 07-16-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information UMPI BAS MIS Degree Program Jin Wang 10 837 07-05-2024, 09:41 AM
  UMPI Degree Completion Help SantaMaria 18 2,521 06-27-2024, 08:46 PM
  Confused about UMPI 2nd degree elment 18 1,668 06-21-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Degree Planning (BLS Educational Studies) cstoops17 9 505 06-17-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Finishing BA Psych degree plan bonjourcat 21 1,361 06-12-2024, 07:31 PM
Last Post: bonjourcat