Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Completion Programs
I know that some people start fresh at one of the Big 3 with zero credits but many people approach these schools as degree completion programs.  Generally, that's the way I think about them despite the fact that I know that some people don't "transfer in" the way some others do.  In some ways it's a more complicated process than simply enrolling in one of the other types of degree completion programs.  I think the Big 3 should be included in the list below and the fact that they are not illustrates one of the reasons I don't rely on these ranking systems for much of anything
Top 50 Best Value Online Degree Completion Programs (valuecolleges.com)
These types of lists always make me laugh. What's the criteria? Clearly the cost of out of state tuition and fees wasn't included in their awesomeness. I only use these lists to look for specific degree programs. Sometimes it's easier than a Google search since every college under the sun comes up. Transferring to a state university isn't always a breeze. Frequently you get screwed on your credits if they're from a community college. Been there done that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • JannikT
I wonder if an accreditor (looking at you, DEAC) would let someone start a college that is intended as a 100% degree completion school. Or like 99% degree completion. not one that is just very generous with transfer credit like the Big 3, but one whose actual sole purpose is just to turn your credits accumulated elsewhere into a degree.

So the school would have a group of degrees they offer, but it offers zero courses toward those degrees (except maybe some capstone or something, maybe a PLA course, etc). Similar to what we are already so used to doing around here, there would be a degree map of course categories that are accepted toward the school's specific degrees, and you have to transfer them in from various sources because there's no way to take them at the school.

Just a formal way of what we've been doing at the big 3 for years, but now a school completely dedicated to it.

Very little overhead since you're not paying for faculty to run courses constantly, or dealing with financial aid or any of the real larger staff that keeps the lights on at a normal school, other than a registrar department and student advising. Degree plans would need some regular review for relevant changes and such, but that's not a year round effort. You get experts and academics to do that annually or whatever....

just a thought.

anyone want to start a school with me? Wink
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-27-2022, 08:50 PM)jsd Wrote: I wonder if an accreditor (looking at you, DEAC) would let someone start a college that is intended as a 100% degree completion school. Or like 99% degree completion. not one that is just very generous with transfer credit like the Big 3, but one whose actual sole purpose is just to turn your credits accumulated elsewhere into a degree.

So the school would have a group of degrees they offer, but it offers zero courses toward those degrees (except maybe some capstone or something, maybe a PLA course, etc). Similar to what we are already so used to doing around here, there would be a degree map of course categories that are accepted toward the school's specific degrees, and you have to transfer them in from various sources because there's no way to take them at the school.

Just a formal way of what we've been doing at the big 3 for years, but now a school completely dedicated to it.

Very little overhead since you're not paying for faculty to run courses constantly, or dealing with financial aid or any of the real larger staff that keeps the lights on at a normal school, other than a registrar department and student advising. Degree plans would need some regular review for relevant changes and such, but that's not a year round effort. You get experts and academics to do that annually or whatever....

just a thought.

Let's do it lol
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 2 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • jsd, rachel83az
(02-27-2022, 08:50 PM)jsd Wrote: I wonder if an accreditor (looking at you, DEAC) would let someone start a college that is intended as a 100% degree completion school. Or like 99% degree completion. not one that is just very generous with transfer credit like the Big 3, but one whose actual sole purpose is just to turn your credits accumulated elsewhere into a degree.

So the school would have a group of degrees they offer, but it offers zero courses toward those degrees (except maybe some capstone or something, maybe a PLA course, etc). Similar to  what we are already so used to doing around here, there would be a degree map of course categories that are accepted toward the school's specific degrees, and you have to transfer them in from various sources because there's no way to take them at the school.

just a thought.

Excelsior (formerly Regents College) started out this way. They had no courses; they only offered credit-by-exam to fill in degree requirement gaps.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
Good to know there's some precedent. I wonder if that setup would still fly with any accreditors today.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Most of the schools on that list will take alt credit such as Study.com

Study.com partners
https://study.com/college/school/index.html

Here is a list of almost all the colleges in the U.S by state.
https://mycollegeselection.com/colleges-by-state/

The big 3 + others we recommend on this forum aren't the only available schools. You can do your research and come up with your degree plans.

Some people could argue that the government should require that all students take a minimum of 30 credits at the college they intend to graduate from in order to preserve the academic integrity of the U.S. college system.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Kab
(02-27-2022, 10:18 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Some people could argue that the government should require that all students take a minimum of 30 credits at the college they intend to graduate from in order to preserve the academic integrity of the U.S. college system.

That's a bunk argument based on schools trying to get as much money as possible from transfer students. It's understandable in our society, but it has nothing to do with integrity. If the rule was designed to preserve academic integrity, then why does it matter where the credits come from? 30 from here or 30 from there should make no difference. 

Like I said, I get why schools have the requirement, but let's call a spade a spade and not pretend it's anything other than naked profiteering.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 2 users Like Tedium's post:
  • JannikT, rachel83az

So the school would have a group of degrees they offer, but it offers zero courses toward those degrees (except maybe some capstone or something, maybe a PLA course, etc). Similar to  what we are already so used to doing around here, there would be a degree map of course categories that are accepted toward the school's specific degrees, and you have to transfer them in from various sources because there's no way to take them at the school.

just a thought.

Time to start a GoFundMe. There's been a bunch colleges up for sale the last few years. Maybe you could snag one real cheap and start this. Basically buy the name. 

You can pretty much do this already with TESU and EC though. You only need the capstone, cornerstone, and info lit courses.

(02-27-2022, 09:07 PM)sanantone Wrote: Excelsior (formerly Regents College) started out this way. They had no courses; they only offered credit-by-exam to fill in degree requirement gaps.

Then they realized how much $$$$ could be made when they charge $400 per credit for a class instead.
Isn’t that pretty similar to what Pierpont is doing with Associates degrees? But there should be at least a minimum formula for what those degrees should include…. Basic gen Eds or something.

If you need a Registrar or something like that - I’m in. Smile
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • jsd, LevelUP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 691 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 290 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 649 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,806 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 578 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 516 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 290 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 879 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,252 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 284 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden