Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction - Help
Does anyone know of any good - reliable study aids or guids for the DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction exam. I don't think a lot of people have attempted this exam, only 528 exams were taken for this course in 2010 with a 40% pass rate.
In addiction to the IC flashcards there are some great posts in the specific feedback forum which include study guides. I highly recommend subscribing to IC. There is a link at freeclepprep for an initial discount as well as a money back guarantee from IC. You really can't go wrong by joining IC. The IC member pass rate is more than a lot better than 40%

I will be taking this test tomorrow. I have prepared using the above named resources. I have also used the 3 Peterson practice tests. I like practice tests as they put you in a mode most similar to the actual testing format. The study guide and sample questions DSST puts out are also worth a look.

The oft suggested Ken Burns Documentary is not necessarily an efficient use of study time but might be a good review when you get tired of flash cards, reading and practice tests. Best of luck.
"As surely as there is a god in heaven, I am an atheist." Mark Twain

ECE
Social Psych (A(8/12),Psych of A&A (A(8/12), Abnormal Psych (A(7/12) Research Methods In Psychology(A(11/12)
DSST
6/11 Introduction to World Religions(472) 6/11 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (75) 7/11 A History of the Vietnam War (78) 7/11 Substance Abuse (468) 7/11 Intro Modern Middleast (80) 7/11 Fundamentals of Counseling (69) 9/11 Civil War & Reconstruction (74) 9/11Environment & Humanity (69) 11/11 Here's To Your Health (472) 11/11 Ethics In America (467) 6/12 Organizational Behavior (69)
CLEP
7/11 A&I Lit (72) 7/11 Social Sciences and History (70) 7/11Humanities(76) 7/11 American Government(73) 7/11 College Mathematics(64) 7/11English Lit(73) 7/11Intro to Educ Psych (70) 7/11Human Growth & Dev. (65) 6/12 College Comp Modular(64) 4/13 Sociology (64)

BSLS Excelsior College 12/12 (GPA 3.87) Ewald Nyquist Award Winner
deangcfr Wrote:Does anyone know of any good - reliable study aids or guids for the DSST The Civil War and Reconstruction exam. I don't think a lot of people have attempted this exam, only 528 exams were taken for this course in 2010 with a 40% pass rate.

Make sure you study the reconstruction part. There is a lot of that on the test. I think its about 30% reconstruction.
IC Flashcards are on-point, HOWEVER, you MUST understand the relationship of events and the key players. This is more than memorization. I supplemented the IC cards with youtube videos, it really helped.

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II
I want to stress that the number of testers and the pass rate that you mention reflects ONLY military members who tested. As a rule, CLEP does not publish the number of testers and pass rates (which would be of the civilian testers).
Quite a few of us have taken and passed this! Membership for cards and access to specific forum feedback is critical!
This was one of the easiest tests I have taken. I wore out IC, Wikipedia on US Civil War, read a few books from the DSST list, and even watched Ken Burns slanted documentary. I probably did this written test in 25 minutes.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Ancient and Classical History from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
All I used were the IC Flashcards, Wikipedia, and Sparknotes. I didn't think it was a difficult exam.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Thank you all for the great feedback. I will review all that was suggested to me. I will be taking exam on the 22nd at Dover AFB. Also, I wasn't aware of the military vs civilian pass rates. When I was given the information, I was told it was for the entire CLEP or DSST population.
One of the easier DSST's if you've passed the Clep American History exams. . . .IC cards are on-point.

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 457 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,059 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,399 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Liberty University Online BS in Physics and BS Civil Engineering armstrongsubero 2 1,749 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,958 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  DSST Principles of Public Speaking MrsIrie 12 3,238 09-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: momofminis
  DSST World Religion Exam HELP hjborn@yahoo.com 4 1,501 06-08-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: hjborn@yahoo.com
  Score of 300 dsst natshar 5 1,823 03-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77