Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DBA then PHD Top Up
Capitol Tech's catalog states:

Doctoral Transfer Policies
At the doctoral level, any student applying that has courses taken within ten years of admission will be considered for transfer, and courses that were last taken more than ten years prior to admission will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If the last class is less than 10 years prior to admission all the classes completed on that course will be considered. Only grades of a “B” or better, “passing” or “satisfactory” will be accepted for transfer.

Maryland allows for up to a 6 credits to transfer from Masters’ degrees towards a doctorate when the award has a minimum of 36 credits. For these to be applied to the D.Sc. or Ph.D. in Business Analytics & Data Science the credits must match the syllabus at 75% except in the case of students who participated in selected DoD programs, who may be eligible to transfer up to 15 credit hours into named Doctoral programs. On specific master’s degrees where the University has a MOU we will accept up to 12 credits.

For research-based doctoral programs, up to 42 credits of graduate-level work will be considered for transfer, with up to six of these credits being master’s level coursework. For those that have completed a doctorate degree, regardless of when, 42 credits may be transferred on the research degree.

Students having qualifications from outside the USA and having studied for a doctorate degree but not completed will need two years full-time or 3 years part-time to qualify for 42 credit transfer as many universities do not have classes for credit. Traditionally European/UK PhDs are three years full time as a minimum. If the Doctorate degree is from Europe or the UK style they will unlikely have a transcript; their degree awarded certificate will be used, 42 credits transferred, and this decision will be approved by the VPAA.
@Pikamon, OtterDen has a link to my "Regulated Qualifications UK" thread where I mentioned 3 providers for the Level 8 (CMI, OTHM, Qualifi) and a few other threads you may want to review in this post here, the CMI Level 8 Award won't get you there: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Leadership

I believe you have to go for a Level 8 Diploma, not an award nor a certificate as those don't ladder into anything at all (except into the Diploma). You can try topping up with a DBA or DProf that interests you, I am looking at possible options other than those, such as the PhD by journals or research.

Just wondering... Are you specifically looking at UK institutions and not looking for any here in the US?  There was a thread that mentioned WestCliff DBA as an example, I added a couple more, such as laddering to NA institutions that have TRACS, etc.  It really depends on what you're looking for...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-12-2024, 05:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 02:58 PM)FrHaseKopf Wrote:
(04-12-2024, 01:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: CapTech doesn't have an ABD completion program, so you might as well finish the DBA. I'm still not understanding the value of a CapTech PhD over a DBA unless you're earning the PhD in a different field.

a STEM PhD sounds always better than DBA, in my opinion

Do you have a master's degree in a STEM field? If CapTech will let you earn a PhD in a STEM field you have no graduate education in, then I'd have to question the value of their degrees. Writing one American-length dissertation on aeronautical engineering is not going to make you an expert in the field. You'd probably have less knowledge than someone with a bachelor's degree in engineering. 

While some CapTech graduates have landed tenure-track positions with the DSc in Cybersecurity, CapTech hires a lot of their own alumni. I've never seen a school hire so many of their own graduates. They also have their own academic journal. I don't know if this is true, but rumor has it that some of their students have met their PhD by publication requirements by publishing in the school journal. In a couple of their programs, you don't even need to publish three articles in high-impact journals in lieu of a dissertation. You can present at an international conference in lieu of one or two of the articles.

yes i do have a master in ComSci, hope this would help CTU accept my candidacy even though I do not finish South DBA
(04-12-2024, 09:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Pikamon, OtterDen has a link to my "Regulated Qualifications UK" thread where I mentioned 3 providers for the Level 8 (CMI, OTHM, Qualifi) and a few other threads you may want to review in this post here, the CMI Level 8 Award won't get you there: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Leadership

I believe you have to go for a Level 8 Diploma, not an award nor a certificate as those don't ladder into anything at all (except into the Diploma). You can try topping up with a DBA or DProf that interests you, I am looking at possible options other than those, such as the PhD by journals or research.

Just wondering... Are you specifically looking at UK institutions and not looking for any here in the US?  There was a thread that mentioned WestCliff DBA as an example, I added a couple more, such as laddering to NA institutions that have TRACS, etc.  It really depends on what you're looking for...

I see, there's a difference between award and diploma even though both are level 8.

Actually I'm looking for any accredited universities from developed countries. However so far anything from the US are highly overpriced compared to their european counterpart (UK included), therefore for starter I'm limiting my search to the UK. For example for WestCliff DBA, if the level 8 diploma is recognized and can get direct admission into the final stage (stage 3), the fee is still 23,400$ (780$ x 30 credit hours).

My budget for a doctorate is only around 5,000 GBP, therefore the plan to get level 8 diploma before continuing to doctorate seems interesting.
The pricing you mentioned is a bit off, here's a thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid415992

(04-15-2024, 09:51 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The pricing you mentioned is a bit off, here's a thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid415992

11k$ is interesting pricing for a US DBA. But weird that I couldn't find that pricing everywhere. Where did he get that from?
The member got it from here, which is linked to another thread where I pointed to it near the end... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...8-Diplomas