Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
DBA then PHD Top Up - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+---- Forum: Doctorate Degree Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Doctorate-Degree-Discussion)
+---- Thread: DBA then PHD Top Up (/Thread-DBA-then-PHD-Top-Up)

Pages: 1 2 3

DBA then PHD Top Up - doyouhowdo1 - 04-08-2024

Hello everyone,

I will start my DBA with South College this November. I'm planning to finish the DBA in 1 or 1.5 years. My question is, is it possible to do PHD top up degree? I'm asking because I saw some universities offer PHD All but dissertation(ABD) courses. So am I allow to do the PHD ABD right after graduate from a DBA? If this is allow then it will save so much time.

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - bjcheung77 - 04-08-2024

Basically... Yes, Yes, you have to find a college or university that allows this though... Otherwise, it'll be a no, no... Easy right? No one knows each and every college or university with ABD and their regulations or rules, the only way to get there is... You guessed it, complete the DBA and apply for entry, but to be proactive, you can always email and contact the institution you're interested in beforehand. That's where I always recommend, get a shortlist of your top choices and backup options!

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - sanantone - 04-08-2024

ABD programs are not for completed degrees. Once you've finished the DBA, you've already completed a dissertation or capstone. ABD stands for All But Dissertation, which means that you didn't graduate. Instead, find a program that accepts a lot of doctoral transfer credits from a completed degree. This is very rare, though. Capitol Technology University is one of the few schools out there that does this. Although, I will say that I don't know why someone would want to do a DBA and PhD in the same field. It's redundant and ADDS more time and expense to your journey. 

If you're looking at American universities, you can remove "top-up" degrees from your vocabulary. That is not a thing here.

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - doyouhowdo1 - 04-08-2024

(04-08-2024, 11:54 AM)sanantone Wrote: ABD programs are not for completed degrees. Once you've finished the DBA, you've already completed a dissertation or capstone. ABD stands for All But Dissertation, which means that you didn't graduate. Instead, find a program that accepts a lot of doctoral transfer credits from a completed degree. This is very rare, though. Capitol Technology University is one of the few schools out there that does this. Although, I will say that I don't know why someone would want to do a DBA and PhD in the same field. It's redundant.

I will take a look on Capitol Technology University. It is kind of redundant by the normal people. But for me, it save so much more time and money. 
It take someone 3 to 5 yeara just to get a PHD. But if I can finish my DBA in 1 or 1.5 year, then do ABD course or able to transfer most of my credit that I only write a thsis to get a PHD. I can havr both the PHD and DBA within 3 to 5 years.

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - sanantone - 04-08-2024

(04-08-2024, 12:04 PM)doyouhowdo1 Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 11:54 AM)sanantone Wrote: ABD programs are not for completed degrees. Once you've finished the DBA, you've already completed a dissertation or capstone. ABD stands for All But Dissertation, which means that you didn't graduate. Instead, find a program that accepts a lot of doctoral transfer credits from a completed degree. This is very rare, though. Capitol Technology University is one of the few schools out there that does this. Although, I will say that I don't know why someone would want to do a DBA and PhD in the same field. It's redundant.

I will take a look on Capitol Technology University. It is kind of redundant by the normal people. But for me, it save so much more time and money. 
It take someone 3 to 5 yeara just to get a PHD. But if I can finish my DBA in 1 or 1.5 year, then do ABD course or able to transfer most of my credit that I only write a thsis to get a PHD. I can havr both the PHD and DBA within 3 to 5 years.

The only DBA program that I know of that can be completed in fewer than three years is South College. But, that program is new, so we don't know what the average completion time is.

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - doyouhowdo1 - 04-08-2024

(04-08-2024, 12:11 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(04-08-2024, 12:04 PM)doyouhowdo1 Wrote:

The only DBA program that I know of that can be completed in fewer than three years is South College. But, that program is new, so we don't know what the average completion time is.
People did finish their doctorate in one year. I added a buff times for myself, I should able to finish it in 1.5 years. After I did some research on CTU, it is possible to finish the PHD in 12 months. If my plan work perfectly then I will have DBA and PHD just within 2.5years

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - bjcheung77 - 04-08-2024

Hmm, my HK friend, your way of thinking is pretty much the same as mine or very similar to how I was thinking of doing things, I've been changing my paths a few times now too... My route is different as I am not going through directly from Masters to DBA to PhD, and the institutions are going to be different for me as well. Basically, if you read your previous threads, I mentioned a sample pathway, I am going the UK Level 8 Diploma route first, then top-up to a DBA. I am thinking of a DProf option or something similar, maybe a PhD Technology at Capitol Tech as it's just 42 credits, but the cost may be over my budget...

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - Kalas - 04-08-2024

I'm assuming money is the reason you would look at South College over a residential program at one of the universities in HK? Even CityU is a much better school South College. While online doctorates can be completed more quickly, it is a different academic experience and not particularly useful for academic employment. There is a strong bias in academia for residential programs. There are tradeoffs with everything that is less expensive and/or faster.

Are you looking to get both degrees for the sake of learning? Just to be able to say you have more doctorates? It sounds like fastest possible completion time your main deciding factor. If your primary motivation is just to get a degree with those letters on it, there are faster (and cheaper) ways to go about it. As for potential evaluations for equivalency in HK, I have no idea.

DBA from Universidad de San Miguel via Excellent DBA on emagister - roughly US$3000 after all fees
DSc in Economics and Management from Akademia Jagiellońska w Toruniu - went up to US$3500 when I inquired a few months ago, also has a DBA and D.Phil (Doctor of Philosophy but not styled PhD) in Economics and Management (each degree would have its own dissertation, negotiating a quantity discount is probably possible), evaluates to ABD status in the US
PhD is offered by some of the cheaper European schools with questionable reputations, don't remember which off the top of my head, but should be available around US$5000 if your main intention is to get the letters at the end of your name
DTI in Slovakia has a PhDr. in Management that is 700 euros according to a member here, but AFAIK no one has enrolled or found if it is offered in English directly through DTI or if the price is the same for non-EU citizens, also available as a dissertation-only dual degree with Azteca for more than 10x that price

Your experiences with these programs will be determined wholly by the quality of research you do. If you decide to do quality research, you should have a satisfying academic experience at a low price that be completed as quickly as you can do the research. Theoretically, you could bang out three dissertations and have three doctorates a year from now. You could also use Jagiellońska to finish faster, say getting their DSc, using that to get ABD status somewhere else, then expanding your previous dissertation to the new school's standards to bypass all coursework. That should be both faster and cheaper, plus the novelty of having a DSc, which isn't the most common doctorate out there.

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - doyouhowdo1 - 04-11-2024

(04-08-2024, 04:05 PM)Kalas Wrote: I'm assuming money is the reason you would look at South College over a residential program at one of the universities in HK? Even CityU is a much better school South College. While online doctorates can be completed more quickly, it is a different academic experience and not particularly useful for academic employment. There is a strong bias in academia for residential programs. There are tradeoffs with everything that is less expensive and/or faster.

Are you looking to get both degrees for the sake of learning? Just to be able to say you have more doctorates? It sounds like fastest possible completion time your main deciding factor. If your primary motivation is just to get a degree with those letters on it, there are faster (and cheaper) ways to go about it. As for potential evaluations for equivalency in HK, I have no idea.

DBA from Universidad de San Miguel via Excellent DBA on emagister - roughly US$3000 after all fees
DSc in Economics and Management from Akademia Jagiellońska w Toruniu - went up to US$3500 when I inquired a few months ago, also has a DBA and D.Phil (Doctor of Philosophy but not styled PhD) in Economics and Management (each degree would have its own dissertation, negotiating a quantity discount is probably possible), evaluates to ABD status in the US
PhD is offered by some of the cheaper European schools with questionable reputations, don't remember which off the top of my head, but should be available around US$5000 if your main intention is to get the letters at the end of your name
DTI in Slovakia has a PhDr. in Management that is 700 euros according to a member here, but AFAIK no one has enrolled or found if it is offered in English directly through DTI or if the price is the same for non-EU citizens, also available as a dissertation-only dual degree with Azteca for more than 10x that price

Your experiences with these programs will be determined wholly by the quality of research you do. If you decide to do quality research, you should have a satisfying academic experience at a low price that be completed as quickly as you can do the research. Theoretically, you could bang out three dissertations and have three doctorates a year from now. You could also use Jagiellońska to finish faster, say getting their DSc, using that to get ABD status somewhere else, then expanding your previous dissertation to the new school's standards to bypass all coursework. That should be both faster and cheaper, plus the novelty of having a DSc, which isn't the most common doctorate out there.

Yep. But the difference is that at least with South College, it have regional accreditation. Which is important for me as well. Not only its fast, it also going to regonized by most of the other countries.

RE: DBA then PHD Top Up - FrHaseKopf - 04-11-2024

I also plan to enrol at South College DBA, but i try to do one term for 9 courses, then transfer to CTU for a PhD. I hope its doable!