Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Credit for ALEKS Corp (McGraw Hill) Online courses in College Algebra & Statistics
that's great news for all of us
Thomas Edison - BSBA - CIS

My Degree Plan http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfpm6vr2_19g9zhksgf
WendyR Wrote:For any TESC students that are interested in utilizing ALEKS for the stats requirement for the BSBA, you can take either Intro to Statistics or Business Statistics course.

A TESC advisor verified that information via email today for me.

Wendy
>>

Wendy,
Do you know if you can take both? In other words, would the business stats fall into a business elective slot?
Jennifer - They would probably say it's too closely related, but it never hurts to ask.

I tried to do that with the Computer Information Systems TECEP (that satisfied the requirement for my ASBA/BSBA) and the DSST Introduction to Computing. I was going to use the DSST for business electives or free electives and they told me I could not take the DSST because it was too closely related to the TECEP I had taken, even though I was trying to apply it in a different area.
[SIZE="2"]TECEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]English Composition 102[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Technical Writing[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Psychology of Women[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Word Processing Fundamentals[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Computer Information Systems[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]CLEP's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 60[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Management - 71[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Marketing - 67[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Macroeconomics - 54 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Microeconomics - 57 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business Law- 65 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]DSST's passed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Supervision - 59[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Introduction to Business - 63[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Principles of Financial Accounting- 54[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]FEMA Credits earned: 15[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ALEKS Intro to Stats completed 3/10/09 [/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]ASBA - TESC - 3/6/09
BSBA - general management in progress
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Working on: PF Business and Technical Writing[/SIZE]
I completed Intro to Stat on 9/9. I submitted my request via ACE on 9/10. I waited a couple of days and followed up with ALEKS. They had not recieved a request from ACE. I contacted ACE and they said, the request was sent. I contacted ALEKS, they said they had not received the request. I contacted ACE again, they said there was no registrar listed for ALEKS. Oh yeah I also talked to the main contact for ALEKS, a rep from McGraw Hill. He called me back and said he would follow up with ALEKS. I deleted the request from ACE and resubmitted it. The rep from McGraw Hill received the request and forwarded onto ALEKS. ALEKS received the ACE request from McGraw Hill contact. ALEKS could not confirm course via ACE yesterday due to site being down. Today I followed up with ALEKS, my course is now APPROVED in ACE.

Be patient and Be persistant. hilarious
AVG Wrote:Be patient and Be persistant. hilarious

Isn't that the key to life!Big Grin
Ok,
Can someone help me connect the dots?

My son is completing his first ALEKS course, it's going well.
I signed him up for the free ACE account.

what now? How do I verify that he completes the course? Will ALEKS give him some kind of certificate? Additionally, how do I get that info to ACE?
The course is complete when you finish all of the modules/areas of learning. You are then given an assessment. Once you complete the assessment, and you have no more modules/areas of learning, then you are DONE! It will say so on MyPie.
In ACE, you find ALEKS and the course you completed. You enter the date you completed the course and submit it for confirmation.
AVG Wrote:The course is complete when you finish all of the modules/areas of learning. You are then given an assessment. Once you complete the assessment, and you have no more modules/areas of learning, then you are DONE! It will say so on MyPie.
In ACE, you find ALEKS and the course you completed. You enter the date you completed the course and submit it for confirmation.
>>

Ok, so I think I understand, let me just confirm. When myPie and a final assessment is finished, ALEKS says so. Got it. At that point I go over to the ACE site and simply by submitting the course info, THEY will check to confirm that the class was completed? I don't have to send ACE anything? Ever?
That sounds too easy, but that would be great.
Correct that is all you need to do.

If after a a week or two your ACE submission still says pending, then you will need to make some calls and find out whats the hold up.
AVG Wrote:Correct that is all you need to do.

If after a a week or two your ACE submission still says pending, then you will need to make some calls and find out whats the hold up.
>>

Oh yeah! That made my day!!!

Can I just add in a quick progress report to say how cool ALEKS is as an actual class!?! As the parent, I have a master account and my son has the student account. I get to see all kinds of progress charts, breakdowns, estimated time till completion, etc. It's just going sooooo well. I have to give it two thumbs WAY up at this point. If I needed credit in any of their classes, I wouldn't hesitate to use the program, and I intend on enrolling him in the next class as soon as he finishes this one. The tutorial is good, the examples are good, if you don't understand they have even more tutorials, it's just very well thought out.

Even in the college level classes, they have "games" that are totally optional (called Quick Tables), but very fun for video-game loving kids. You must achieve levels of competency to "unlock" video games. When my son discovered this he was so excited. They don't tell you until you hit a certain percent, so I didn't even know about them. The games are a little dorky, but the challenge of unlocking them has been a big motivator for my son. Oh yeah, it's very cool.

For anyone who might be a homeschool mom looking for an idea of level, they don't use placement exams, you have to just pick a class. I would say that the Beginning Algebra (3 credits) is perfect for the child who finished Saxon 87 and/or Algebra 1/2. I would even say that someone in or past Algebra 1 could could start with this class, and probably finish in less than a month with 3 easy math credits!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,762 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,161 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 6,118 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 5,044 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,281 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,265 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,062 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 3,122 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,346 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 28,096 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk