Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering Accounting, asking for input, please
Hello, everyone. I've looked through the wikis here on different schools and existing degree plans, but I was also wondering if anyone could give some degree planning advice based on my individual circumstances. If I do decide to move forward with a new degree, I don't know what school suits me best. I attend WGU right now and am considering withdrawing from my current program for several reasons, one of which is I'm not enjoying it at all. Anyway, thank you in advance for any insights. 

Your Location:  Florida
Your Age:  43
Desired Degree:  Bachelor’s in Accounting
Current Regional Accredited Credits:  162
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:  6
Any certifications or military experience:  Teaching certificate
Budget: <$10,000 (loans)
Commitments: FT remote job, newly single mom of two teenagers, one with chronic medical condition and who cannot drive as a result.
Dedicated time to study:  1-2 hours on weekdays, 10-12 hours on weekends
Timeline:  12-18 months (but faster is better)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement:  None. I’d be taking out Federal student loans.

Undergraduate, Bachelor of Arts in English, Total Credits: 113 (+transferred 7 cr. in)
English:
ENG 120 – Introduction to Literature, 3 cr., B+
ENG 111 – English Communications I, 3 cr., A-
ENG 112 – English Communications II, 3 cr., A-
ENG 140 – Introduction to Mass Communications, 3 cr., A-
ENG 312 – Writing for Radio and TV, 3 cr., A-
ENG 213 – Journalism, 3 cr., A-
ENG 227 – Survey of World Literature I, 3 cr., A-
ENG 390 – Travel Writing, 3 cr., A-
ENG 009 – Portfolio, 3 cr., S
ENG 222 – Survey of American Literature II, 3 cr., A
ENG 314 – Public Relations, 3 cr., A-
ENG 214 – Creative Writing: Poetry, 3 cr., A
ENG 321 – History and Grammar of the English Language, 3 cr., A-
ENG 342 – Shakespeare II, 3 cr., B+
ENG 390 – Vanishing West, 3 cr., A-
ENG 400 – Internship, 8 cr., Pass
ENG 500 – Independent Study, 3 cr., A

Math:
MAS 170 – Elementary Statistics, 3 cr., A
MAS 100 – Concepts of Mathematics, 3 cr., A

Science:
BIO 103 – Environmental Science, 4 cr., A-
PSY 100 – Psychology: Individual & Society, 3 cr., B

Business:
BUS 340 – Principles of Marketing, 3 cr., B+

Other Gen Eds and Electives:
MSC 100 – Introduction to Music, 3 cr., B+
ART 120 – Introduction to Art Therapy, 3 cr., A
REL 120 – Religion in America, 3 cr., B
REL 160 – Religion and Ethics, 3 cr., B+
PHL 110 – Introduction to Philosophy, 3 cr., A-
AMS 111 – Introduction to American Studies, 3 cr., A-
AMS 211 – American Folklore, 3 cr., A
SOC 110 – Introduction to Sociology, 3 cr., B+
SOC 210 – Social Problems, 3 cr., A
SOC 252 – Human Behavior in Social Environments, 3 cr., A
PSC 190 – Modern Latin America, 3 cr., B
PSC 330 – State and Local Government, 3 cr., A
DSP 370 – Paranormal Phenomena, 3 cr., B+
+ Some fitness course for 1 cr., S
+ Transferred in from Community College  - 7 Credits (see below)

Community College, Visiting Student, Xfer to Undergraduate, Total Credits: 7
HPE 121 – Physical Education, 1 cr., A
SPA 101 – Elementary Spanish I, 3 cr., B+
SPA 102 – Elementary Spanish II, 3 cr., A

Penn State, Master of Public Admin., Total Credits: 6
PADM 500 – Public Organization and Management, 3 cr., A-
PADM 510 – Organizational Behavior, 3 cr., A
Dropped for medical reasons.

Community College, Teacher Certification, Total Credits: 21
All seven were education-related courses, GPA 4.0.

WGU, Master of Education in Ed Tech and Instructional Design, Total Credits:  15
All Learning Experience Design courses.
Currently Enrolled and up against the end of my first term. I don’t care for the curriculum (maybe subject matter?) at all. Plus, life circumstances have changed since I started. I need a stable, decent-paying career. 

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:
Sophia:  6
Introduction to IT, 96%
Project Management, 93%

Learning Style:  I am a good writer, but I’d rather answer test questions or submit a project that shows I know what I’m supposed to know rather than explain it across 20 pages with multiple sources. I’m very visual. I’m also good test taker.
Hmm... Weird, the first thing I thought after reading your post in the thread was... Ghost Busters! Anyways, Welcome to the board, I suggest you decide carefully if you want to get a Bachelors in Accounting or something different, before you jump into the subject. If you've already made your decision, you can look at UMPI for their BABA Accounting or their BA Accounting, you just need to complete the major as your gen eds and electives should transfer over.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Do you already have a bachelor's degree? You've taken grad courses so you must have one, but you didn't list it. Having a bachelor's degree means the general education courses required from most colleges we talk about on here will be waived.

TESU is probably your best option since you don't want to write papers which you will be doing at UMPI. UMPI won't give you financial aid due to the number of credits you have. No idea about financial aid at TESU.
(Yesterday, 12:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm... Weird, the first thing I thought after reading your post in the thread was... Ghost Busters!  Anyways, Welcome to the board, I suggest you decide carefully if you want to get a Bachelors in Accounting or something different, before you jump into the subject.  If you've already made your decision, you can look at UMPI for their BABA Accounting or their BA Accounting, you just need to complete the major as your gen eds and electives should transfer over.

Thank you for replying! Do you think I should think carefully about accounting because of something to do with accounting itself, or do I just give off the vibe that I've not thought it through?

My current/ongoing graduate work is to help with continuing education/license renewal. So it's more of just trying to maintain my professional licensure than skipping around taking coursework willy nilly. I got a B.A. in English, went back to school for education certification, and now I'm earning credits for licensure. But I need out of education. Something with stability and that pays better than teaching.

I appreciate your recommendation on a school.
------------------------------------------

(Yesterday, 01:45 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Do you already have a bachelor's degree? You've taken grad courses so you must have one, but you didn't list it. Having a bachelor's degree means the general education courses required from most colleges we talk about on here will be waived.

TESU is probably your best option since you don't want to write papers which you will be doing at UMPI. UMPI won't give you financial aid due to the number of credits you have. No idea about financial aid at TESU.

Yes, my B.A. is the first one in my list of coursework. It's probably easy for the eye to skip over with so much listed. Thanks for recommending a school. I'd talk to the financial aid office before applying/enrolling in anything.
I can definitely understand better pay than teaching but I honestly think that there is no job out there that offers stability. AI and technology is changing the accounting profession as well as other professions. You majored in English, accounting is a complete opposite direction. For example, I love math and numbers. I can get lost in a math problem as someone can get lost in a good book. You have to be the one to decide if this is something that you are going to be able to do. Also, if you do decide to move forward with accounting you need to look at your state's requirements to see if online classes are compatible with your state's requirements for cpa licensure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My UMPI accounting plan - tear it apart please drpaf 5 280 10-18-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Best Path for Accounting Degree tiffeg 5 584 07-04-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Fastest way to complete BA/BS in Accounting Fayepie79 10 1,059 06-23-2024, 10:50 PM
  6 Weeks left at Sophia - Do I need anything else for Accounting flamewerks 1 373 06-22-2024, 09:38 AM
  Best plan to get credentials in accounting? Have a BSW and MPA FreeAgnes 10 740 06-19-2024, 07:25 PM
  Help With Determining an Accounting Degree to Qualify to Take the CPA Exam AccountingForThis 11 1,254 05-24-2024, 09:19 AM
  Returning Accounting Student - Quickest Way MauriceLevy 10 922 05-14-2024, 10:50 AM
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 6 602 04-01-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Looking for some input/advice kyledudedog 5 662 03-05-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
Big Grin New user seeking advice, suggestions, any input nancynancy01 3 510 01-08-2024, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Duneranger