Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science in EU
I'm just curious why there's no degree plan in the wiki nor thread discussing the Computer Science and Cybersecurity degree from Excelsior University. They allow a transfer of up to 113 credits, which is quite generous.

Does anyone have information on their online courses? https://www.excelsior.edu/catalog/ Specifically, how much do they cost, and are they useful for transferring to other universities?
Any insights or experiences would be appreciated.
Their BSCS must be new. When I was looking for programs last year, Excelsior only had IT and Cybersecurity degrees.

Does the TESU BACS finally have a viable challenger?
In Progress: 
* TESU BACS (goal of august '24 graduation)

Completed: 
* C++ Programming Certificate, Washtenaw Community College (August '23)
* Bachelors of Arts, a brick & mortar university (2020)

Future:
Georgia Tech OMSCS (Fall '24 onward!)
Interesting, great to see they're expanding offerings as both degree options are showing up on their webpage... Having said that, there are many classes that can't be transferred into either of those degrees, thus, for those interested in either of these, you'll have to pay for those classes unless you can get them cheaper, easier, faster elsewhere...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
A general issue with Excelsior undergraduate degrees outside liberal arts and business in the past has been hyper-specific course requirements that while they're allowed to be transferred in, we don't know an alt-credit provider and we might not even identify a low-cost RA/NA credit provider to fulfill those requirements.

And Excelsior now charging a large fee to review new transfer credit a student seeks to add during their enrollment will be a barrier to students attempting to find outside courses Excelsior will accept to fulfill those requirements.
In addition to Excelsior offerings, TESU is a great alternative option if you want to investigate that further... I would create a degree plan for both using alternative credits such as Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com, etc, including NCCRS options if possible...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-27-2024, 04:18 AM)FullFocus Wrote: I'm just curious why there's no degree plan in the wiki nor thread discussing the Computer Science and Cybersecurity degree from Excelsior University. They allow a transfer of up to 113 credits, which is quite generous.

Does anyone have information on their online courses? https://www.excelsior.edu/catalog/ Specifically, how much do they cost, and are they useful for transferring to other universities?
Any insights or experiences would be appreciated.

I don't have any, but the course looks a lot better than the TESU one as there's a lot of more relevant classes to pick from. If you find out any information, please let me know.
Oh, wow, this must be new! When I took classes at Excelsior, they didn’t offer the CS degree. It’s great to see they’re expanding their programs.
As for the courses, I’d say the course quality between EU and TESU is pretty similar. But the good thing about EU is that you can finish a course in 8 weeks, compared to 12 weeks at TESU.
In Progress
Georgia Tech OMSCS Cool
Enrolled: 01/2024 (2 down, 8 to go!)
Completed
TESU BA Computer Science & ASNSM Mathematics
Conferred: 09/2023
Excelsior University BS Psychology 
Conferred: 02/2023

(06-28-2024, 10:29 AM)ItsNeverTheLionsYear Wrote: Their BSCS must be new. When I was looking for programs last year, Excelsior only had IT and Cybersecurity degrees.

Does the TESU BACS finally have a viable challenger?

All the tech courses from Study.com or Sophia transfer in as free electives, so you end up taking more than 10 additional courses to earn a Computer Science degree at Excelsior.

It would be much cheaper to attend SNHU or UMGC if you prefer a traditional school format.

TESU is still by far the cheapest, quickest, and easiest Computer Science degree or WGU if you can complete the degree in one term.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors of Science in Business BigJohn1975 10 1,205 04-01-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  What are Arts & Science Electives EHC2110 4 1,415 11-10-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Library Science - A&S or AP? topdog98 1 760 10-11-2022, 12:12 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SDC computer courses UL requirement? homeschoolmom1 7 1,559 06-09-2022, 09:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BS in Science CrayCat 12 2,750 06-05-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: debrag
  humanities vs social science debrag 16 2,812 05-23-2022, 03:22 PM
Question Arts & Science vs Arts & Science & Applied Professional at Excelsior alsimko 11 3,588 08-04-2021, 05:48 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Computer Classes TwinMom 1 1,104 06-28-2020, 02:04 PM