Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemistry CLEP
Hi JT!

Thank you for the update; I had been wondering how your test went.

I think there was a chart in the front of the REA book that gave a rough guide for the number of the questions correct versus a scaled score.

Also, I received a note a few months ago from someone who had just taken and passed this CLEP. He used a couple of the same resources that I had plus Khan Academy. He assured me that my feedback was still relevant, even though it has been a few years since I took the exam. That was nice to know and I hope it helps you, too.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
My REA books are older, from early 2000's but I rec'd an email today from a parent who follows my Facebook page saying the new REA guides didn't have the charts in them and their reply from REA said that they were doing away with them. Her edition was 2015.
Thanks for all your replies - Just looked at my REA library book and YES it does show the conversion table! So let me get this straight - - it shows raw score of 50 is a scaled score of 60. And better yet, a raw score of 38 is a scaled score of 50! So does this really mean one can get up to 37 wrong and still pass???
Since it is not official, I'd take the REA chart as a rough guide, but it does give an idea of how generous the scoring can be. That's too bad that they are not continuing to publish them, since I liked that feature.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Hi All - Ok - last question before my test - - to all those who took CHEM CLEP...
Did you have to memorize polyatomic ions?
Thanks and wish me luck.
imoahu Wrote:Hi All - Ok - last question before my test - - to all those who took CHEM CLEP...
Did you have to memorize polyatomic ions?
Thanks and wish me luck.

I don't remember. Did I include it in the list of things I memorized? Have you needed to memorize it for practice tests? That would be the best clue. You absolutely have my very best wishes!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Thanks so much for your support! Good to know you're here!:hurray
I'll post tomorrow. Gulp.
UGH! What a scare. I logged on to find a screen that made me think I was transported to IBM in the 80's. The software was pixelated, the questions were laid out in a terrible format, with the answer checks at the bottom. Looks nothing like REA or Petersons test format. To access the periodic table you had to click thru 2 windows. To access the calculator, it was maybe a bit quicker, but I don't think you could have both windows up at the same time, i.e. questions and table. The questions were NOTHING like the breakdown on the the CLEP briefing - I had no Descriptive Chem, maybe 1 structure of matter. What I can remember is rate reaction, quantum numbers, 2 experimental (one about a beaker choice - no lab, no idea), lots of equilibrium, acids, bases, thermo, kinetics. Basically everything I studied less of, since the CLEP published test percentages were lower....

I was running out of time, so the last ten, I gut clicked, cause otherwise, I wouldn't have finished. I had a minute to review my sheet to see if I skipped any and beep - that was it! Oh and I only had 73 questions? Was that better or worse or no difference?

Definitely, a tight time for those without Chem / STEM background.

BUT - I squeaked by with a 55.
Glad that's over and returned 5 library books yesterday!
:hurray:
That's fantastic! Congratulations JT! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Yes, having an uncomfortable test experience is common for this one, but it was so important that you did not leave any questions blank.

I hope you have something fun planned to celebrate your success after all of your hard work!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

imoahu Wrote:UGH! What a scare. I logged on to find a screen that made me think I was transported to IBM in the 80's. The software was pixelated, the questions were laid out in a terrible format, with the answer checks at the bottom. Looks nothing like REA or Petersons test format. To access the periodic table you had to click thru 2 windows. To access the calculator, it was maybe a bit quicker, but I don't think you could have both windows up at the same time, i.e. questions and table. The questions were NOTHING like the breakdown on the the CLEP briefing - I had no Descriptive Chem, maybe 1 structure of matter. What I can remember is rate reaction, quantum numbers, 2 experimental (one about a beaker choice - no lab, no idea), lots of equilibrium, acids, bases, thermo, kinetics. Basically everything I studied less of, since the CLEP published test percentages were lower....

I was running out of time, so the last ten, I gut clicked, cause otherwise, I wouldn't have finished. I had a minute to review my sheet to see if I skipped any and beep - that was it! Oh and I only had 73 questions? Was that better or worse or no difference?

Definitely, a tight time for those without Chem / STEM background.

BUT - I squeaked by with a 55.
Glad that's over and returned 5 library books yesterday!
:hurray:

Pass rates are not very high for this exam, celebrate your accomplishment!! Congratulations!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,834 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 677 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Chemistry Course YehudisS 16 2,035 10-01-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: YehudisS
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,199 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,824 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Has anyone taken TEL Chemistry 1 + Lab? DIGI-212 3 873 10-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Organic Chemistry class indigoshuffle 3 1,377 03-15-2021, 12:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,453 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,391 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az