Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing everything, advice?
Hi All,
I'm fairly new here in the forums(2-3 months). I also physically moved recently. I had a plan in place and a list of tests to take to get my Associates from my old community college, then find a 4 year locally to continue toward a Bachelors. Unfortunately I just found out that my old college will not evaluate the 2 tests I just took or the 5 I am planning because I am not currently registered for classes. Because I have moved, tuition rose from $377 to $1390 for 1 class. This is too much money for me to register just so that they will apply the remaining credits I need for a degree. (I have already met the 15 credit in-school requirement so this 1 extra class is really extra)

I become eligible for in-state tuition in my new home Summer 2011. I was thinking of taking as many tests as possible between now and then and just applying everything toward a Bachelor's and skipping the Associates, but without a college picked, I am not sure what to do. I don't want to waste tests that might not apply.
I live in California now which apparently has a fantastic in-state tuition rate, which is why I have not yet considered a fully online school. Does anyone know where I go from here? Should I pick a college first, and if I do, will an advisor help me even if I don't plan to register until I am "in-state" eligible? Is there some kind of generic Liberal Arts degree requirement plan somewhere that I can work from?
BTW, I know that I will have to complete probably 30 credits at the school I pick. That is not a problem because I actually like taking classes, and will pick some that I feel I need the full instruction in.
Any comments, advice appreciated. Thanks!
Comm college credits -34
Test credits -9
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
Lyanne Wrote:Hi All,
I'm fairly new here in the forums(2-3 months). I also physically moved recently. I had a plan in place and a list of tests to take to get my Associates from my old community college, then find a 4 year locally to continue toward a Bachelors. Unfortunately I just found out that my old college will not evaluate the 2 tests I just took or the 5 I am planning because I am not currently registered for classes. Because I have moved, tuition rose from $377 to $1390 for 1 class. This is too much money for me to register just so that they will apply the remaining credits I need for a degree. (I have already met the 15 credit in-school requirement so this 1 extra class is really extra)

I become eligible for in-state tuition in my new home Summer 2011. I was thinking of taking as many tests as possible between now and then and just applying everything toward a Bachelor's and skipping the Associates, but without a college picked, I am not sure what to do. I don't want to waste tests that might not apply.
I live in California now which apparently has a fantastic in-state tuition rate, which is why I have not yet considered a fully online school. Does anyone know where I go from here? Should I pick a college first, and if I do, will an advisor help me even if I don't plan to register until I am "in-state" eligible? Is there some kind of generic Liberal Arts degree requirement plan somewhere that I can work from?
BTW, I know that I will have to complete probably 30 credits at the school I pick. That is not a problem because I actually like taking classes, and will pick some that I feel I need the full instruction in.
Comm college credits -34
Test credits -9
I'd take a look around at a couple of the schools in your area, and get an idea of what tests they will and won't accept, and how many max credits from testing that they take. Also, this'll give you an opportunity to figure out what program is going to be the one you want to go through, and help with your school choice.

I'd doubt that there's going to be a general degree plan that will work across various schools, but the using the information that you find out from the schools, you can start planning which tests will be accepted and work on getting those out of the way, so that when you enroll, you can have you transcripts shipped over to the school of your choice.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Thanks, I'll start poking around.
Is there any benefit to going ahead and paying the out of state tuition for one semester to complete my Associates at the old community college? Or doesn't it really matter?
Thanks again
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

Lyanne Wrote:Thanks, I'll start poking around.
Is there any benefit to going ahead and paying the out of state tuition for one semester to complete my Associates at the old community college? Or doesn't it really matter?
Thanks again

There.. might be?

From what I've heard (and haven't had anything like this in my experience) by finishing off your Associates degree, it might help you get credit at a schools for courses/tests that they wouldn't normally take in transfer. They'd accept the whole 60 credits of the Associates as a package, and then you'd have to finish the other 60 for the bachelor's requirement.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Lyanne Wrote:Hi All,

Comm college credits -34
Test credits -9

If you can't start until the summer of next year, why don't you consider the local schools, see what they offer as far as degrees you like, and see how many CLEP/DSST exams they will accept towards your degree. Most schools will take between 15-30 credits for this. While you wait for your instate eligibility, you can get a full year of school out of the way easily and affordably.
If you go with a TESC or EXcelsior, as you have probably seen mentioned many times on this forum, you can transfer up to 120 credits to them for your degree, ( more realistically, you'll transfer 60 or 80, and complete the rest of the work through the college itself.) They are not in Cali, but the tuition you can save through CLEP and DSST can still make it a real bargain. IF you can find a program you want.

IMHO - your best "advisers" can be found in your family, in this forum and within yourself. Of course, figuring out the details of how to go about it is somewhat of a process, but get involved in a Bachelors program that you like. You'll find plenty of assistance on here if you go with an online college.
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]
Thanks to you both. I will do lots of poking around. :-)
Lyanne

DSST (27)
CLEP (48)
Other (43)
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 347 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 972 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 3,007 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,588 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,375 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Changing Demographics Alpha 0 467 10-19-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,438 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 886 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 1,086 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 6,751 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha