Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capella Coupon
cookderosa Wrote:I think the attack on Capella for accepting you on the spot is uncalled for- of course they accepted you, and so would your community college and any number of open enrollment programs.

I'm not attacking them for accepting me. I had no doubt that I'd be accepted into the program. I'm only remarking on how easy it is to get sucked in to their system too quickly. For me, it's not an issue, but for some unsuspecting single mother, those two hours that it took to get signed up could lead to $50k+ in student loans that she might be unable to pay back....The system at Capella is designed to get you paying them as quickly as possible. This trend is going to eventually cause similar economic issues to the sub-prime mortgage lending debacle of 2008...when hundreds of thousands of unemployed college graduates can't pay their $50-60k student loan debt. Capella has an ethical responsibility to these students, just like the sub-prime lenders had an ethical responsibility to their customers.

sanantone Wrote:Edit: The Flexpath program has additional requirements over the other MBA programs. That makes me wonder....Publius2k4 since you don't have a degree in business or a similar field, did they talk to you about having 5 years of professional business experience? Or, did they find the business credits used for your individualized studies degree acceptable?

My business credits from WGU were acceptable. Quality Operations and Mgmt, Org Behavior, Fin. and Man. Accounting, Management, Marketing, etc....it was enough to establish competency.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
publius2k4 Wrote:I'm not attacking them for accepting me. I had no doubt that I'd be accepted into the program. I'm only remarking on how easy it is to get sucked in to their system too quickly. For me, it's not an issue, but for some unsuspecting single mother, those two hours that it took to get signed up could lead to $50k+ in student loans that she might be unable to pay back....The system at Capella is designed to get you paying them as quickly as possible. This trend is going to eventually cause similar economic issues to the sub-prime mortgage lending debacle of 2008...when hundreds of thousands of unemployed college graduates can't pay their $50-60k student loan debt. Capella has an ethical responsibility to these students, just like the sub-prime lenders had an ethical responsibility to their customers.

My business credits from WGU were acceptable. Quality Operations and Mgmt, Org Behavior, Fin. and Man. Accounting, Management, Marketing, etc....it was enough to establish competency.

Some of my students at an expensive, nationally accredited, for-profit college are starting to feel duped. I thought all of them were warned ahead of time about the difficulty of transferring credits, but that is apparently not the case. They were surprised when I told them the local community colleges charge $2,000 per year and that their grants would have covered tuition and books with money leftover. Our associates programs are nearly $30,000. The salespeople, excuse me, admissions people told them they would be making a lot of money with their certificates and associates in CJ. By the time they get to career services at the end of the program, they are being told to expect $8 or $9 an hour. The two biggest law enforcement agencies in hour area won't even recognize their degrees. `

I know Cahella, University of Satan, Kap 'em, Wall 'em, Strayaway, and Deprived University are regionally accredited so they don't have the transfer credit issues, but they operate the same way. They prey off of the misinformed and uninformed who are usually the military, single parents, impoverished, and intellectually challenged. Their goal is not to educate and get people through the whole degree program. All they have to do is get the students through a few courses before they turn a profit. That is why Ashes University is renting the Forbes name for their business school (discussed on the other forum) at a down payment of $15 million and annual payments of $2.5 million. I'm not a marketing expert, but I would think a school would attract more students by offering scholarships. University of Satan tried to market its way out of losing hundreds of thousands of students. They are now offering scholarships.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:...Cahella, University of Satan, Kap 'em, Wall 'em, Strayaway, and Deprived University....

LMAO epic! Love it!
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If you don't have the common sense to research something before you give away a boatload of money, college probably isn't the first or last time that you will have the wool pulled over your eyes.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
ironheadjack Wrote:If you don't have the common sense to research something before you give away a boatload of money, college probably isn't the first or last time that you will have the wool pulled over your eyes.

It's a poor showing of business ethics. Just because a company CAN take advantage of customers doesn't mean they SHOULD.

That being said, I realize that the program I was applying to was a graduate level program...hopefully people applying to a graduate level program are intelligent enough to know what they're doing.
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
<<I'm not attacking them for accepting me. I had no doubt that I'd be accepted into the program. I'm only remarking on how easy it is to get sucked in to their system too quickly. >>

That's fair. I agree.

<< For me, it's not an issue, but for some unsuspecting single mother, those two hours that it took to get signed up could lead to $50k+ in student loans that she might be unable to pay back....>>

ehhhh, I don't think so. Not grad school. If you've gone through an undergrad program you know enough to make an informed decision, I think.

<< This trend is going to eventually cause similar economic issues to the sub-prime mortgage lending debacle of 2008...when hundreds of thousands of unemployed college graduates can't pay their $50-60k student loan debt. Capella has an ethical responsibility to these students, just like the sub-prime lenders had an ethical responsibility to their customers. >>

I don't disagree. Honestly, many students are taking on debt that is the equivalent to a home mortgage. That's a big deal. Not to mention, you can file bankruptcy and keep your home- student loans are forever. Yikes.
cookderosa Wrote:ehhhh, I don't think so. Not grad school. If you've gone through an undergrad program you know enough to make an informed decision, I think.

Lol, see my last post Tongue

publius2k4 Wrote:It's a poor showing of business ethics. Just because a company CAN take advantage of customers doesn't mean they SHOULD.

That being said, I realize that the program I was applying to was a graduate level program...hopefully people applying to a graduate level program are intelligent enough to know what they're doing.
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
Since they got me through so quickly, and as of today I'm ready to enroll, I think I may enroll for a quarter. Then I can transfer my credits to anywhere that accepts them. Every other program I've looked at doesn't start until summer time, so I'll have plenty of time to knock out a few courses here, and then go elsewhere.
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
sanantone Wrote:This is a graduate program that should have more standards than a community college. Even community colleges make you take the SAT, ACT, Accuplacer, Compass, or some other placement exam. A lot of schools don't require the GRE, GMAT, or similar exams, but all Capella requires is a bachelor's degree with a 2.3 GPA. For the MBA, there are no prerequisites, letters of recommendation, related work experience, or essay. At least WGU checks to see if you can read, write, and do basic math. WGU also requires 3 years of related experience for the MBA programs.

Edit: The Flexpath program has additional requirements over the other MBA programs. That makes me wonder....Publius2k4 since you don't have a degree in business or a similar field, did they talk to you about having 5 years of professional business experience? Or, did they find the business credits used for your individualized studies degree acceptable?

WGU made me take a readiness assessment that involved math, some reading comprehension and an essay. I also had an intake interview basically going over the program and what to expect...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
publius2k4 Wrote:Since they got me through so quickly, and as of today I'm ready to enroll, I think I may enroll for a quarter. Then I can transfer my credits to anywhere that accepts them. Every other program I've looked at doesn't start until summer time, so I'll have plenty of time to knock out a few courses here, and then go elsewhere.

Are the courses pass/fail? Do their modules or whatever they call them cover whole courses, or are you taking them in pieces?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capella - Virginia LPC Experience Rweber 0 461 09-26-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Rweber
  Capella ss20ts 1 926 01-10-2023, 10:44 PM
Last Post: sharase
  Capella University FlexPath? nomaduser 37 15,256 02-21-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Capella Shares Lessons Learned from 5 Years of Offering Competency-Based Programs sanantone 3 2,204 09-20-2019, 05:12 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  DSST Coupon? SCYankee 3 2,698 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  EdX: 15% off coupon. eriehiker 0 1,729 04-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  DSST coupon code 2/1/18 - 3/31/18 Joeman200 1 2,550 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  $10 coupon on DSST Joeman200 0 983 03-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  ALEKS Coupon 15% off Toastmaster 2 1,250 09-29-2016, 08:03 AM
Last Post: keepsingin
  Sophia 25% off coupon dfrecore 0 812 07-05-2016, 01:05 PM