Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you protest a CLEP test
I went and took a CLEP today and was about 10 minutes from being finished and one of the instructors from the college came into the room that I was taking my test in, left the door to the testing room open, and proceeded to go to his office, close his door kindof hard and then put on music loud enough that I could hear every word on the song. Anyway to get off of that, I could not concentrate on the last 10 questions of the test since it was A&I and I had to read to be able to understand what the questions were asking. Needless to say I missed the test by one question. I told the monitor afterwards what had happened and she informed me that there is nothing that they could do for me to retest. My question is, with the stuff you have to agree to before you take the test, is there a way to protest this test....??

Any thoughts would be appreciated????
What remedy would you be seeking? I can't imagine that they would change your score for any reason whatsoever. To do so would be to put the entire examination program at risk. Similarly, I don't think they would ever waive the six-month re-take rule. The only thing left would be to refund your exam fee. I think you might have had a case there, if you had halted the exam as soon as the interruption occurred, and if you had chosen the option not to see or submit your score. As it is, I think the odds are against you, but you still might be able to make an argument to the College Board, if you can get a witness at the testing center to verify the facts. At the very least, I think the testing center should refund you their fee, but if you generally have a good relationship with them, and if you have more exams to take there, I'm not sure how big a fight I'd put up.

-Gary-
At my testing centers there is no way a proctor could not have seen what happened. You should have halted the test immediately and asked for assistance to have the noise ended. Did you run out of time?
I would doubt you can get any resolution on the test score at this point. You do need to put in a formal complaint with whoever is in charge of the test center. One time as I took a test there was occasional banging sounds in the next room it was distracting, but I did not think it would cause me too much problem, when I finished the test I told the proctor (who is not in the room, but has full view through all glass walls) she immediately apoligized explained it was the book store in the next room and said she would make sure they knew they had to stop making noises.
I would think you should at least get your proctoring fee refunded, that is part of what you are paying for a quiet, distraction free environment.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Aw, I'm sorry! You probably can't protest the test but I would DEFINITELY complain to the testing center and, if you feel like it, even the college president. Seriously. If stuff like that happens to you, it can happen to the next guy and you're helping everyone by bringing this matter fully to everyone's attention.

I remember one test I took the proctor had a prolonged whispered and giggly conversation with one of the other college employees in the same room I was in. It was VERY distracting and very frustrating. I was to shy to say anything but I definitely thought it was unprofessional. When she left they got a new proctor who was awesome about not disturbing people. I really appreciated him, I can tell you.
I would complain if I were you. You might be able to retake without the 6 month wait and/or not have to pay again. I doubt that you would get them to give you a passing grade though.
BA Social Sciences TESC 2009

CLEP
Humanities 64 | Intro Sociology 74 | Intro Psychology 74 | College Mathematics 60 | H.G. & Dev. 66
A&I Literature 65 | Educational Psychology 71 | American Government 67 | US History I 67 | US History II 72
Social Sciences & History 65 | English Comp 63
DSST
Civil War 61 | Substance Abuse 463 | Intro Computing 465 | Technical Writing 66 | Anthropology 66 | Prin. of Supervision 62
Enviro & Humanity 68 | Org Behavior 67 | Astronomy 60 | Ethics 467
ECE
World Population A | Research Methods in Psychology A | Adulthood & Aging A | Gerontology A | UExcel Political Science B

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Read My Story[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"] Tested out of 120 credits in 11 months. Started with [COLOR="Blue"]0[/COLOR] credits on April 20, 2008 - Finished on March 18th 2009
[/SIZE][COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="Navy"]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="#800080"][COLOR="#4B0082"]If you've been helped by someone on this forum then help someone on this forum.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]
I can totally understand you frustration. When I took the CLEP for Marketing, a high school aged kid accompanied by his gum-smacking mother nosily entered the room. The high school kid nosily claimed repeatedly that he was having computer trouble, while his mother continued to pop her gum. I totally lost focus with the test and finally without any review ended it. Luckily, for me, I passed, but I easily could have been in your situation

I mentioned all of this to the proctor, but he totally blew me off :mad:
I like you was at a lose of what to do .....
DSST:
Here's To Your Health- 56 (Cold) Big Grin
Principles of Supervision-60

CLEP:
Principles of Management- 65
Marketing- 53 :eek:
Sociology- 63

ASBA 3/09
I think we can ALL relate!!! Which is WHY I ALWAYS bring ear plugs with me and place them in my ears right away, and SADLY even then I can still hear some noises and talking, but it helps ALOT.
Cleps Passed: (36) English Comp w/essay, Freshman Comp, A & I Lit, Princ of Management, , College Math, Humanities, US History 1 and US History 2, Marketing

Dantes Passed: (48) Astronomy, Supervision, Bus. Math, Intro to Bus, Human Resource Management, Ethics in America, Tech Writing, Intro to Computing, World Religions, Personal Finance, Intro to LE, Org Behavior, Environment & Humanity, Here's to your Health and Criminal Justice.

Traditional: (43)

FEMA: (13)

Military: (70+)
Yes, you can protest a test. The way to do this is to call clep. They will most likely have you sign something to a certain extent. The likelyhood of the 6-month waiver being granted is slim. The best they can do, I suppose, is to either throw out the scores, let you test in 3 months rather than 6 (and you still must have permission by the college head) or give you your money back.

Good luck to you in 6 months...
Credits Racked Up.....71
Peers: (Still) Not Even Outta High School Yet.
No More CLEPs left. I've taken them all! :p
Spring 2009: Managerial Accounting, Business Cal, Statistics
Shadowless Wrote:I think we can ALL relate!!! Which is WHY I ALWAYS bring ear plugs with me and place them in my ears right away, and SADLY even then I can still hear some noises and talking, but it helps ALOT.
>>

Amen,
I have used 5 testing locations over the course of my degree, and all but 1 had distractions!!! Some were ridiculous.
I don't think they have to promise you a distraction-free environment, is that in the agreement or are we just making the assumption? I doubt it is part of any contract. Get back up, fill your schedule with more tests, and at the 6 month mark tackle that monkey again!

At the end of the day, ask yourself if THIS IS THE BRICK WALL that your going to let derail your dreams?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 228 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,891 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Test score rogeryoung 4 496 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 449 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 794 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,244 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 692 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 1,330 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,225 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,072 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore