Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a school know if you have a degree, if you don't tell them?
This has been a really interesting topic; to be transparent, I'm not looking to hide anything. I did, however, find it interesting that this is something schools sometimes take into consideration.

Example of if you have a Bachelor's Degree:
• Harvard College will not accept you, according to the admissions person I spoke to
• Excelsior University has a "2nd Degree" policy where a student must have at least 30 credits from their university if they already have a Bachelor's Degree completed and are working on their 2nd one. However, for your first, they will transfer up to 113 credits for some, meaning you only need to finish 7 credits vs. the 30.

However, most schools I've talked to do not have a rule about this. I found it interesting, and of course, I question how much it could be validated.
Yes, you can lie and get away with it. I don't think universities care though. Most people who lie and cheat wouldn't be able to make it through a graduate program. You need to have a strong mind which ethically-challenged people don't. People who try to beat the system and take shortcuts will withdraw the first time they'll be required to pull an all-nighter to study for an exam or complete a term project.
(10-05-2022, 12:50 AM)EDUxplorer Wrote: This has been a really interesting topic; to be transparent, I'm not looking to hide anything. I did, however, find it interesting that this is something schools sometimes take into consideration.

Example of if you have a Bachelor's Degree:
• Harvard College will not accept you, according to the admissions person I spoke to
• Excelsior University has a "2nd Degree" policy where a student must have at least 30 credits from their university if they already have a Bachelor's Degree completed and are working on their 2nd one. However, for your first, they will transfer up to 113 credits for some, meaning you only need to finish 7 credits vs. the 30.

However, most schools I've talked to do not have a rule about this. I found it interesting, and of course, I question how much it could be validated.

There are some schools out there who won't accept someone for a second bachelor's degree. EU also requires that those 30 credits all be UL and not taken before the first degree is conferred. Many schools require 30 additional credits after the first bachelor's degree is completed. EU does not want students earning a second bachelor's degree. I went through this with them last year. I ended up completing my second bachelor's degree at UMPI where I needed to complete an additional 30 credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • EDUxplorer
@EDUxplorer, you're most likely not going back for undergrad degrees when you already have a Masters.  My suggestion is going to other public/state schools if you ever need a second bachelors in a different subject field.  If I was looking for a second bachelors, I would think carefully and see if a master's would be better.

For example, public/state bachelors ladder up to Harvard Extension School for a Masters in 5 different subject fields in technology, the total cost would be $37,500 USD.  I think that's a better deal than paying for their Bachelors!  And here's a thread to review: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...gue-School
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • EDUxplorer
(10-05-2022, 01:23 AM)ifomonay Wrote: Yes, you can lie and get away with it. I don't think universities care though. Most people who lie and cheat wouldn't be able to make it through a graduate program. You need to have a strong mind which ethically-challenged people don't. People who try to beat the system and take shortcuts will withdraw the first time they'll be required to pull an all-nighter to study for an exam or complete a term project.

Hi,
I don't know about ethically challenged people not being smart.
In Business and politics, there are many examples of Successful people with Bad ethics.
Some got caught eventually, some did not.
Look at Fidel Castro for an example.

My observations tell me some psychopaths are highly intelligent ,and strong minded.

Also, I have Friends who have told me that their Masters degree courses were on average easier than  their undergraduate courses.

I am not trying to be contrary.
I just do not understand Why colleges care if people get 2nd Bachelors Degrees???
(10-06-2022, 01:12 AM)midnite123 Wrote: I just do not understand Why colleges care if people get 2nd Bachelors Degrees???

$$$$$

They only have so much space. They can only have a certain number of students. If someone only has to complete 30 credits they won't make much off of them. Someone who needs 60 or 120 credits is far more profitable. 

Then there's the philosophy that students should keep moving forward. Spread their wings kind of thing.
(10-06-2022, 01:12 AM)midnite123 Wrote: I just do not understand Why colleges care if people get 2nd Bachelors Degrees???

Public universities care because they are subsidized. Why should the state help pay for second or third degrees? Beyond that, most schools have limited spots available, which they prioritize for first-time degree seekers.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 24 1,235 09-21-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,926 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 448 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,539 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 427 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,962 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,469 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,882 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,427 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,472 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader