Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CS105, CS306 and MATH108 Possible in SDC Free Trial Window?
I have looked over some of the reviews of these courses, and it seems to me I should certainly be able to knock out Computer Science 105: Operating Systems and Math 108: Discrete Math within the 30 day free trial window at SDC.  It seems Computer Science 306: Computer Architecture is a bit tougher?  Does anyone who has taken all of these courses have an opinion on how doable this is?  Also does anyone know if they let you take the exams in the free trial, or is that an upgrade-only?
You can not take exams during the trial window. Not sure about the quizzes.
I did all three of those within a paid month period. OS is a breeze, Discrete Math was a little harder but I also don't have a math background and was still able to figure it out. Comp Arch was a huge pain because of the project (the quizzes/exam weren't too bad). But they've also added an additional project since I've taken it, which should make it a bit easier as it gives you more ways to collect points if you get stuck on the difficult project.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu, spohara
(08-22-2022, 05:03 PM)spohara Wrote: I have looked over some of the reviews of these courses, and it seems to me I should certainly be able to knock out Computer Science 105: Operating Systems and Math 108: Discrete Math within the 30 day free trial window at SDC.  It seems Computer Science 306: Computer Architecture is a bit tougher?  Does anyone who has taken all of these courses have an opinion on how doable this is?  Also does anyone know if they let you take the exams in the free trial, or is that an upgrade-only?

You'll have to be on the College Accelerator plan to take exams. There's a few codes that give you 30% off the first three months, but you have to be a first-time user.

Based on my welcome email and the badge's issue date, I finished Math 108 in 2 or 3 days. I finished Computer Science 105 a week later. I didn't take Computer Architecture on SDC.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 3 users Like carrythenothing's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu, spohara
(08-22-2022, 05:43 PM)jsd Wrote: You can not take exams during the trial window. Not sure about the quizzes.
I did all three of those within a paid month period. OS is a breeze, Discrete Math was a little harder but I also don't have a math background and was still able to figure it out. Comp Arch was a huge pain because of the project (the quizzes/exam weren't too bad). But they've also added an additional project since I've taken it, which should make it a bit easier as it gives you more ways to collect points if you get stuck on the difficult project.

Say a course has 3 assignments but to pass you only need one (with a good score). Do you have to do all 3 or you can pass the class by just having one done and completely ignoring the other 2? 
Thanks!
(08-22-2022, 05:50 PM)Chankosumo Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 05:43 PM)jsd Wrote: You can not take exams during the trial window. Not sure about the quizzes.

Say a course has 3 assignments but you only need one (with a good score). Do you have to do all 3 or you can pass the class by just having one done and completely ignoring the other 2? 
Thanks!

You have to submit something for the other two assignments. Mathematically, you'd need 110 points between the assignment(s) and final exam (assuming you get 100 on the quizzes, which is easy).
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • Chankosumo

All good info.  I guess I'll just start with the discount code then and get to work. I'll probably take off work the week of labor day and just try to dedicate 9 days, sounds like I should easily knock out the first two in that timeframe and hopefully get a decent start on the architecture one to finish out by the end of the month.  Depending on how the rest of my eval comes in, I think that should just about get me to where capstone is all I need to finish my TESU BACS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • jsd

I recently took all of these and I agree with this.

Computer Architecture is a bit of a pain because of the assignments. I didn't fully complete either assignment due to time investment and honestly the course content doesn't really prepare you for assignment 1. I also found the directions a bit vague/confusing for it.  

I did assignment 2 first because it was easier, but only did part 1 and part 2. I skipped part 3 because I looked around to see if I could locate the sources they wanted cited and couldn't quickly so just skipped it.

For assignment 1, I only did phase 1 and 2. 

I heard how terrible this course was so my goal was to just do enough to get it over with so I could move on.
[-] The following 2 users Like louise's post:
  • Pikachu, spohara
Thanks for the post, (it's a reminder that I have to review my evaluation), I think I only have a couple or three courses left. Calculus, I am going the Sophia.org route and Computer Architecture is the other course remaining. I've started the Comp Arch course, but haven't finished yet... My only recommendation for these three courses is to pace yourself, take the Op Systems, Discrete Math, then finish the last course...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle, spohara
Computer Architecture should be finished relatively soon after you start, lest you forget what you learned and get a low score on the exam. Then you'll need a much higher grade on the assignments to pass.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • louise, spohara
Operating Systems is fairly simple and easy to do, so you should do that first. 

Discrete Math isn't really new math to learn, but there is a vast amount of subjects they go over.

Computer Architecture I would take the exam first. Then do the binary assignment and see where you are at. Last do the other assignment. If you have enough spare points, then you can only do part of the assignment necessary to pass the course.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Pikachu, spohara

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 8 923 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 748 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Google has released 10 free courses to master AI LevelUP 2 1,095 08-12-2023, 03:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,574 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  latest Study.com code for January, 2023 for 1 month free EducationSeeker 3 1,599 01-02-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
Information Free 6 Month Subscription to Coursera Google, Facebook, & IBM, It Certs Experience LevelUP 22 4,745 11-22-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: scottlefoll
  Coursera certs for free? Personherebb9 5 1,511 11-15-2022, 08:31 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How to get Sophia for FREE! (Expired) Vle045 69 13,835 07-09-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Free Culinary Skills Course Is Back!!! LevelUP 0 989 10-08-2021, 06:16 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Notification window opened while on a proctored exam! carebear_007 7 1,358 04-20-2021, 04:24 PM
Last Post: carebear_007