Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC degree in Interdisciplinary studies - degree plan help
My goal is to complete the degree as quickly as possible, although I would also prefer a degree applicable to my work if possible.   I am currently enrolled at TESU pursuing a Liberal Arts degree, however I still have 16 classes to take to finish it up.  I have talked to an advisor at Charter Oak and am considering switching to their interdisciplinary degree (Security and EMS management).  Below is a summary of the credits I currently have, and a brief summary of my conversations with COSC.  I am hoping someone on this forum has experience and advise with COSC and if I am figuring out this correctly.  Thank you

18 graduate level credits in Security Management (ACE credits for CPP certification)
4  credits lower level in Security Administration (Ohio University)
21 credits lower level in Fire Protection (CCBC)
24 credits lower level in Emergency Medical Technology (CCBC)
21 credits lower level in Emergency Management (Frederick Community College for FEMA courses)

3 credit Corporate Communications – Saylor Academy (ACE)
3 credit Intro to Comparative Politics – Saylor Academy (ACE)
3 credit Intro to Political Science – Saylor Academy (ACE)
2 credit UL Ethics course – CPCU code of professional conduct (ACE)
1 credit speech or oral communications – Dale Carnegie (ACE)
1 credit Fire Service Supervision – NFA (ACE)
1 credit Community Safety Educator – NFA (ACE)
1 credit Developing Effective Teams – Sophia (ACE)
3 credits Perspectives on the World Christian Movement – NCCRS
3 credits Technical Writing – TESU
2 credits Intro to Portfolio Development – TESU
1 credit Intro to Prior Learning Assessment - TESU
3 credit Eng 101 – CCBC
3 credits Eng 102 – CCBC
3 credits Tech math – CCBC
3 credits Intro to Computers- CCBC
3 credits Exploration of nature and society – CCBC
3 credits Psy 101- CCBC
3 credits Spe 101- CCBC
4 credits Anatomy and Physiology – CCBC
3 credits Medical Terminology – CCBC

In talking with COSC they stated that I would be a good candidate for combining my Security, Fire Protection, and EMS credits into an area of study for the Interdisciplinary degree.  Something along the lines of Security and EMS Management or something similar.   I would prefer this degree over a Liberal Arts degree.  They will not perform a formal assessment until after I apply and am accepted.   I should be able to meet most or all of my area of concentration with the credits I already have.  COSC would also utilize my FEMA courses as well, so it appears that I would need to take significantly less credits with them.

COSC degree
Written Communications  6 credits – fulfilled with Eng 101 and 102
Oral Communications 3 credits – fulfilled with Spe 101
Info Literacy 3 credits – needed, but will be fulfilled by either the required Cornerstone or Capstone course
Ethical Decision-Making 3 credits – Would my ethics course fulfil this even though its only 2 credits?
US history/Government  3 credits– needed
Non-U.S. history or culture 3 credits – not sure if Perspectives course would fulfil this requirement?
Global Understandings 3 credits – fulfilled with intro to Comparative Politics
Literature and fine arts 3 credits – needed
Social/Behavioral Sciences 3 credits  - Fulfilled with Psy 101
Math 3 credits – fulfilled with Technical math
Natural Sciences 7 credits – 4 credits fulfilled with A&P

Liberal arts requirements 60 or 90 credits required depending if it is a BA or BS degree.  Does anyone know if a Degree in General Studies with a concentration in Interdisciplinary studies would be a BA or BS? 40 credits fulfilled completed

Area of Concentration  - hopefully fulfilled with current credits

UL credits – 20 credits already completed.  10 credits needed.
I don't have experience with Interdisciplinary studies, but I do have experience with COSC.

It does sound like you are in a good position if you want to transfer to COSC. If your area of concentration is complete, that would be great. You will have to complete a capstone, which is upper level.

Quote: Undergraduate students who are pursuing the interdisciplinary Individualized or Liberal Studies concentrations will take a sequence of a one-credit and a two-credit course for their capstone. These three credits will be part of the requirement for the concentration. The first part is a one (1) credit, five (5) week, pass/fail course in which the capstone project is planned. The project will be carried out in the subsequent ten (10) week course that yields two (2) credits. The two-credit course results in a letter grade. The two-credit course must be completed in the term immediately following completion of the one-credit course. A grade of P must be earned in the one-credit course in order to begin the two-credit course. https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.cfm

With the remaining UL credits you need, you should try to get upper level courses to fulfill your remaining general education requirements.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
Great thank you for your input.
Do the cornerstone and capstone courses also count as liberal arts credits?
(08-01-2017, 12:33 PM)Sparrowhawk Wrote: Do the cornerstone and capstone courses also count as liberal arts credits?

In my experience, the cornerstone was counted as liberal arts, but the capstone was not. Mine was a business concentration, and business courses tend not to count as liberal arts. I am not sure if a different concentration would result in liberal arts credit for the capstone.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
Thank you for your help!
DSST Business Ethics is Upper Level (I believe Straighterline Business Ethics comes in UL as well).

Remember the Capstone counts for three UL credits

DSST Substance Abuse is 3 UL credits and is similiar to your concentrations

FEMA IS courses are free and can be applied there are about 30 credits there in all IS 242 and IS 240 count as 1 credit each liberal arts

the 3 credit science course you need counts as liberal arts.

Much easier to hit the required 60 credits liberal arts for a BS over the 90 for a BA.....take the BS

DSST Civil War is UL and fulfils the US History requirement

Analyzing and Interpreting literature is lower level but is liberal arts and satisfies the fine arts requirement

I beleive Intro to World Religions satisfies the international or global component and is liberal arts.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank you so much! Is the Analyzing and Interpreting literature the easiest option for the fine arts requirement?
By far, at least for most people. It is widely regarded as a reading comprehension test.

The thread linked in my signature has some ideas for you as well.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
(08-03-2017, 02:22 PM)rebel100 Wrote: By far, at least for most people.  It is widely regarded as a reading comprehension test.

The thread linked in my signature has some ideas for you as well.

The link in your sig is obsolete on the new forum. I just had to update mine as well.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,462 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,506 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,873 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,159 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,724 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,938 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 5,368 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,990 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,848 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,595 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd