Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEPs hard?
Have you looked at the Collegeboard's CLEP page here?

Since you're talking about analyzing and interpreting literature, I'm guessing you've either read a bit of the forum or sussed that it's an easier test for anyone that's done a bit of reading. If it's the latter, do more of the former and you'll be fine Smile Good luck.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Free Clep Prep.com

Note that the above link will refer you back to the specific exam feedback forum here at Instant Cert...and that is in my opinion the very best test prep available.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Yes, CLEPs can be hard. The idea of testing out sounds so easy. Just take a test and *poof* like magic, you have 6 credits. When I first heard about it, I thought that it was just too good to be true and that I could probably finish my degree in a month or less by taking a bunch of tests.

As you can see from my signature, it did take a lot longer than a month, though still much less time than a traditional degree path. There are no easy tests unless you already know the material. I took Spanish without any study whatsoever and managed to get a perfect score. Does this mean that the test was easy? No. It means that through my life experience, which includes six years of living in Mexico, I had learned enough to pass this CLEP. According to the CLEP, I have enough knowledge that they don't think I need to take first and second year college Spanish.

If some people think that Analyzing and Interpreting lit is easy, it's only because through life experience, high school courses, and/or a love of reading, they've spent enough hours of their life reading at a college level to be able to test out of a basic college course.

My best advice would be to sign up for InstantCert so that you can have access to an area of the forums where specific test feedback is discussed. That way you'll be able to see what years worth of test-takers have said about a given test. Be careful - in the feedback area, almost every test has people that say that a test is very easy, and almost every test has someone that says the opposite. How you perform on any given test will sometimes depend on your prior knowledge of the subject, but more often, will be up to how much you study. The specific feedback forum also gives advice and study guides to supplement the IC cards. There are no IC cards for Analyzing and Interpreting lit, but if you plan to take more tests, the cards will be a great tool. Also, not sure if it helps, but I averaged about a week of study for most of my tests. Study for me meant IC cards + Specific Forum Feedback + Google + Youtube and occasionally another resource that someone on the forums would recommend. The reason that testing saves you time is that it allows you to learn at your own pace and also skip homework assignments, group projects, tests, and all the other stuff that you have to do in class. However, you still have to learn and know the material well... how easy or difficult each topic will be to you is hard to say.

HTH
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
You might also look into locating lists of passing rates for members of the military who have taken CLEPs and DSSTs. Until recently, service members (SM) could take CLEPs and DSSTs without paying for them. (I think that's how it was. Now the first test in a subject is free, and a service member pays if s/he has to take it again.) Many of us think that if the tests were free, SMs were more likely than the average person to take the test without studying. (Well, that's what I did in 1987.) Ergo, a list of passing rates could indicate the difficulty of exams.

Burbuja, as usual, has stated the argument for the difficulty of tests as clearly as it can be stated. It's up to you and your knowledge base.

Finally, you might want to check with your local library to see if they offer sample CLEP exams. My local library offers the general subject exams, and some AP. Take those and see how you do. If they don't have the exams on-line, they may have some of the books with sample exams.

Good luck!
if you know spanish, you can get 12 easy credits.
CLEPS/DSST PASSED
Spanish- 64, Heres to Your health-414
Almost Done with My Embry Riddle Pro Aero Degree.

12 credits for Spanish! Thats awesome!

I used the REA books. Go find them at Amazon.com or your local bookstore. They are great and if you like to read, you will find yourself enjoying learning.
I also supplemented with the instantcert flashcards, speedyprep.com flash cards and the specific exam feedback you get here when you are a member of instantcert.com.

My favorite combo is REA and specific exam feedback. I think these two are a killer combo.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 1,250 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Sometimes even heroes have it hard... (no cellphone to use) bjcheung77 0 324 05-13-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NYU professor fired... Organic chem class too hard! bjcheung77 12 1,236 10-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Pats20
Question Data Science TESU cleps Greenfields7007 2 1,159 05-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Useful Free CLEPS TrailRunr 20 6,677 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: clep3705
Information CLEPS and TX Highschool Students kvolivera 4 2,183 02-08-2019, 07:48 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What order should I take these CLEPs? Doodlebabe 3 1,567 04-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Doodlebabe
  Having a hard time and feeling like an idiot... blaczkowitz 11 3,447 12-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Last Post: mlwilliamsiv
  Difference between Kindle and hard copy study guide for CLEP exams BeSmart01 0 1,193 12-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Last Post: BeSmart01
  6 credit CLEPs and TESU? BingCherry 11 4,626 08-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Last Post: ajs1976