Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP vs AP
I looked for a thread weighing the pros and cons of CLEPs/DSSTs vs. APs, but didn’t find anything. Anyway, being a highschool student myself doing the whole dual enrollment thing, it would be neat to see the comparison.

I’ve never taken any APs and don’t plan to, but every now and then you come across folks who say “Why take CLEPs when you can take APs”, or the like.

I’ve heard APs are actually easier then CLEPs, and are accepted by more schools... However, you can’t “AP” out of 2 years worth of college, take an AP unless your still in HS (I think), and only take it in a certain month or two during the year...

Are there any AP that are easier then the equivalent CLEP?

Any other thoughts out there when it comes to comparing CLEPs (or DSSTs) to APs?

Side topic: How often does one take the ACT or SAT when they’re going down this route... I’m sure some jobs may require a minimum score on one or the other, but with the ACT/SAT judging how well a student handles “college level” knowledge don’t CLEPers/DSSTers make them obsolete? (Again I haven’t taken either, and don’t plan to... I’m just curious )
Here are some more differences between the two -- AP vs. CLEP:
3000+ universities grant credit vs. 2900 universities grant credit
exams delivered to high school students vs. exams delivered to any capable age group with ID
37 courses available (limited by high school) vs. 34 exams available to everyone
classroom setting, teacher taught/led vs. independent, self-taught/led
school district can set requirements/prerequisites vs. no eligibility requirements/prerequisites
exams delivered once/year in May vs. exams delivered year-round
scores received in July (2 months later) vs. computerized scores received immediately (in most cases)
exam fee $87 ($8 to schools as rebate) vs. exam fee $77 (plus test center fee)

Earn credit or place out of college course for both
AP exam is preferred over CLEP if there is a subject overlap.
Must take AP course in order to take exam.
AP tests are harder, which is why the elite schools only take AP and not CLEP or any of the rest. If you don't take AP tests while in high school, you have no practical chance of taking them later. The exception might be a high school, probably a private one, that would let you take the test along with their students in May.

One of the reasons AP tests are harder is that they aren't just multiple choice. They take longer and include written and other types of responses that are graded by humans. You do not have to be enrolled in AP courses to be allowed to take AP exams, although some high schools impose that restriction on their own. Most students who take AP tests are in AP courses. But students not in AP courses often do just fine on the AP tests.

There are AP tests for which there is no CLEP equivalent, such as physics for science majors, which is a different physics than the one covered in the CLEP Natural Sciences test. It is important to pick the correct AP test. English Language and Literature vs. English Language and Composition, for example. Different universities prefer one over the other. Those two tests are generally more accepted than CLEP College Composition.

Some AP students probably have placed out of two years of college, although it would be very few. It could be done by earning credits as follows:

year one
biology
calculus
chemistry
English
physics

year two
art history
Chinese, French, German, or Spanish
macroeconomics and microeconomics
U. S. History
studio art: drawing or world history

If you have an associate's degree by the time you graduate from high school, you probably don't need to take the ACT or SAT. But that depends on where and exactly when you apply. Generally if you have 30 semester hours of college credits, you don't need ACT or SAT scores. However, some schools make a distinction between hours from actual courses vs. credit by examination.

Take all of the AP tests you have a reasonable expectation of passing.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I seem to recall several comments here and elsewhere that AP tests can be taken by anyone at anytime, though you may get strange looks for doing it.

Also, don't all AP tests have essays? The only CLEPs with essays are the College Comp tests, and I don't think DSSTs have any. I would automatically rate APs as more difficult due to the essay requirement.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
All good info. I'll add a few. Yes, all AP exams have essays (yikes) that are not optional. Additionally, AP tests all fall - during AP test week (yikes again) so you need allllll your tests in your brain at the same time. Lastly, you'll have to hunt and peck for testing locations- and you have to hope that all the tests you want are offered at the same high school. Otherwise, you may have to choose between 2 tests locally or 1 an hour away.

ALL CLEP testing centers offer ALL CLEPs, but each individual high school decides which AP tests to offer. (it may be 1, or may be 20)

One other thing, you do NOT have to enroll in an AP "course" to take an AP exam. You can self-teach the material just as with the CLEP. Lastly, AP is a graded score (1-5, 5 highest) and many schools award credit or placement based on your score. Commonly, you'll see "3 credits for a score of 3 or higher" or "6 credits for a score of 4" or even "advanced placement for score of X"

There are a few AP courses that are not offered via CLEP, and in that case, AP is a good option.

In any event, be careful not to duplicate, because you can't get double credit for taking both exams.
Wow, I knew some of the differences but nothing like all the stuff you guys listed! Thanks! I wonder how in the world AP got more popular then CLEP!
So many people have never heard of CLEP. It's really sad when you realize how many people can get a perfectly good diploma for $10K or less but instead go $100K in debt for something the same or even less relevant than a Big 3 degree. When I was in HS I took AP European History and AP Chem II, but sadly took no tests (doh!). We all knew about AP because that is what was told to us by the administrators. Nobody ever mentioned CLEPs at all. A lot of people who do hear about CLEPs think of them as "cheating" somehow, i.e. you are taking a test without taking the class. That's unfortunate because they are missing out on a lot.

I mentioned elsewhere that, from what I've read around here, "testing out" is almost unheard of even among students at the Big 3. Most of them are transfers from other schools who just want to finish a degree with flexibility, but they still take a lot of courses. I check the peer forums in Blackboard at TESC from time to time and there are a lot of people taking classes there. Often when you are able to explain testing out to someone they first look at you like you are speaking a foreign language, then they look at you as if you are some kind of super-genius. They just sell themselves short.

The people here are the rarest of the rare, the weirdest of the weird. Wear that badge with pride.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Publius Wrote:Wow, I knew some of the differences but nothing like all the stuff you guys listed! Thanks! I wonder how in the world did AP got more popular then CLEP!

Because school districts have PAID TEACHERS teaching AP courses and proctoring exams. Among other factors, AP scores are calculated in a school's achievement profile/college readiness, so student's success drives their ranking. The more students who do well on AP exams, the better the school looks.

Popular? No, but the district has a self interest in offering the exam.

FWIW, I also took AP courses in 10th, 11th, and 12th grades...guess what? I didn't take any AP exams either. I only vaguely remember hearing about AP exams, and taking MORE exams didn't sound like anything I wanted to do as a teen!!!
It is very difficult reasoning with the teenaged mind. (Some parents will argue that "teenaged mind" is an oxymoron.) What works with some kids is explaining that by taking a test, it is possible to do a lot less work overall.

Here's how it works. A high school student who does well in an AP course will probably do well on the AP exam. If the exam isn't taken, the course must be taken in college. It is likely that with papers to write and tests to take, all of that effort spent in high school will be repeated in college. Some high schoolers think that taking the course in college will be an easy A. It is true that in some courses, those without papers, it won't take a lot of effort to get through the course in college. But that's the point - it might be just getting through the course. The ability to place out via AP does not translate into necessarily being able to easily make an A in the college version of the course or even make an A in the college course after a lot of work.

AP and CLEP tests provide a student a means to skip the freshman weedout courses. Never take an intro course in college if you can place out of it. Never. Even if medical school is the ultimate destination, placing out of intro biology is still okay. You'll take two upper level biology courses instead of the two intro biology courses you placed out of.

Cost is another reason for AP and CLEP. Three years of college costs a lot less than four years of college. Even if a student still takes four years to graduate after AP credits, the student is ahead of the rest. College registration is often based on seniority. First choice goes to the student with the most semester hours. By starting college with 15 or 30 semester hours, the student has precedence over other students who don't have any credit by examination.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
My college aged daughter took AP courses and the AP exams that went with them. As Jennifer said it is up to the school district. Our district is big on it so they offer the courses and exams. It was also stated your score determines the credit value. She received credits for Bio, English, History, and Psy. She got 6 creidts for some of these exams. She also took several Clep exams the summer before freshman yr which actually turned her into a sophomore before even setting foot on campus.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,804 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 673 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,822 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,450 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,388 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,633 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,820 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,342 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar