Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP or AP Spanish?
Hello all,

My daughter has had 3 years of Spanish in our homeschool. She took the REA practice test and got a scaled score of 76 (raw: 71/120).

Since she did so well on the CLEP practice, we're thinking of taking the AP Spanish test instead. Does anyone have experience with AP Spanish? I'd love to hear thoughts on which way to go.

Thanks!

Cherie
If she wants to try AP Spanish, she will gt more credit for attempting the AP Spanish Literature and Culture exam than she will the Language and Culture exam. Frankly, if she's not interested in Lit, I would stick with the CLEP.

(I am a HS math and foreign language teacher with 20+ years of experience, FWIW.)
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Thank you!
smdgl Wrote:Hello all,

My daughter has had 3 years of Spanish in our homeschool. She took the REA practice test and got a scaled score of 76 (raw: 71/120).

Since she did so well on the CLEP practice, we're thinking of taking the AP Spanish test instead. Does anyone have experience with AP Spanish? I'd love to hear thoughts on which way to go.

Thanks!

Cherie

all colleges choose for themselves how many credits (if any) are awarded and for which exams. There are recommended charts based on scores, but there are no sure fire promises that one exam awards more than another. Both AP and CLEP are College Board brand tests, there are others, but those are both widely accepted.

When deciding between the 2 brands, I think there are a few things you have to ask. Start here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/homeschoo...6033362128

I would also that it is not automatic that one AP exam is worth more than another, that's not really true. It's based on score and college decision. In my opinion, on straight credit, her best chance for the MOST is going to be a high score on the CLEP. Most schools award 12 credits, while not all schools award 12 credits for even a perfect score on any of the AP exams. Of course if you have a handful of schools your daughter is considering, the best advice is to simply go to their websites and check their credit equivalency.

If she's headed to a competitive college/university, 100% take the AP instead. HOWEVER, if she doesn't want to wait until March or doesn't score at least a 3, she can take the CLEP anytime.

If she's headed to the big 3, there are exams worth even more credit than CLEP or AP, but in every other situation CLEP/AP are the better brands.

This is my former employer, and a perfect example. They only award 8 credits for a score of 3 or better on the Spanish Language exam, while a score of 66 on the CLEP exam yields 14. They also don't accept the Spanish Literature exam at all. But since CC admission is open enrollment, and students are guaranteed transfer to Iowa universities across the state, there is no advantage to the AP over CLEP in that situation. http://www.eicc.edu/future-students/appl.../clep.aspx

Your situation will require your own assessment, but I'm happy to throw in 2 cents if you have a vague idea of what her goals are.
It depends on her goals. Some very competitive schools don't accept CLEP at all while accepting AP (and SAT II tests for advanced standing). This is the order of most acceptance that I've seen.

regional accreditation
AP
CLEP
DSST
ACE
national accreditation
NCCRS
FEMA
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
They just realigned the AP sequences for World Languages, and a few things changed. The AP Spanish Lit and Culture exam is the one that is generally meant to be taken at the end of Spanish V. It is a very intensive exam with a huge reading list and it expects a high level of critical thinking and essay production.
https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcou...ading-list

Here in Texas, if you make a 3 on the AP Spanish Language exam, you get credit for 8 hours of Spanish (101 and 102), while a 5 gets you 11 hours (101, 102, 201). AP Spanish Literature, on the other hand, also gets you credit for SPAN 202 with a 3 and SPAN 320 with a 5. Thus a 5 on the AP Spanish Lit exam would give you a total of 17 hours of credit.

At least, that's what they told me at the AP teacher training this summer.

That said, the Spanish Language CLEP is a very expedient way of earning 12 or more credits.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:They just realigned the AP sequences for World Languages, and a few things changed. The AP Spanish Lit and Culture exam is the one that is generally meant to be taken at the end of Spanish V. It is a very intensive exam with a huge reading list and it expects a high level of critical thinking and essay production.
https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcou...ading-list

Here in Texas, if you make a 3 on the AP Spanish Language exam, you get credit for 8 hours of Spanish (101 and 102), while a 5 gets you 11 hours (101, 102, 201). AP Spanish Literature, on the other hand, also gets you credit for SPAN 202 with a 3 and SPAN 320 with a 5. Thus a 5 on the AP Spanish Lit exam would give you a total of 17 hours of credit.

At least, that's what they told me at the AP teacher training this summer.

That said, the Spanish Language CLEP is a very expedient way of earning 12 or more credits.

This is good to know that you can get some UL credit with that one. Certainly worth checking out if you're headed to a 4 year school. A community college may not have the option of awarding credit beyond 200 level.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,363 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  UNED Spanish online university Avidreader 5 765 07-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: inor
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,324 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Master Propio in Spanish Teaching 19 Euro elcastor21 11 1,351 09-27-2023, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,345 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 673 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Spanish Degree?? splirow 19 1,941 01-17-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore