Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP is getting the best of me
Hello , I'm currently in college and I've also been trying to study for the CLEP Exams. In December I took the College Composition (scored 49) and Human Development (got a 45).  I'm also working on Intro to Psych and Intro to Sociology. Currently I'm under a lot of stress with everything ( school assignments , worry , etc.) When it comes to CLEP I'm kind of in a rut when it comes to a studying regimen. I'm giving myself until May-June to complete at least 2 of them.  I guess the question I'm asking is do I go sociology since it's the easiest and just work my way back up to the things I've failed ? Also how long should I study?

Also I wanted to know when it comes to Intro to Psych what experiences did any of you guys get? I'm getting the feeling that there will be a lot of holes on this test?
I think it's a good idea to do an easier one next.

Intro Psych seems about the same difficult as Intro Sociology to me, or possibly easier.

A lot of wholes?

(02-07-2018, 11:49 PM)2L8 Wrote: Hello , I'm currently in college and I've also been trying to study for the CLEP Exams. In December I took the College Composition (scored 49) and Human Development (got a 45).  I'm also working on Intro to Psych and Intro to Sociology. Currently I'm under a lot of stress with everything ( school assignments , worry , etc.) When it comes to CLEP I'm kind of in a rut when it comes to a studying regimen. I'm giving myself until May-June to complete at least 2 of them.  I guess the question I'm asking is do I go sociology since it's the easiest and just work my way back up to the things I've failed ? Also how long should I study?

Also I wanted to know when it comes to Intro to Psych what experiences did any of you guys get? I'm getting the feeling that there will be a lot of wholes on this test?

How are you studying?  Using ModernStates.org, or IC, or something else?

I would suggest first going through Modern States, since that will give you a good start, and also give you a free voucher to take a CLEP exam.  They have a free course for every CLEP.

Then if you need more, use IC.  Or Peterson's or REA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-07-2018, 11:58 PM)Ideas Wrote: I think it's a good idea to do an easier one next.

Intro Psych seems about the same difficult as Intro Sociology to me, or possibly easier.

A lot of wholes?

oops grammar error. Wink

(02-08-2018, 12:37 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 11:49 PM)2L8 Wrote: Hello , I'm currently in college and I've also been trying to study for the CLEP Exams. In December I took the College Composition (scored 49) and Human Development (got a 45).  I'm also working on Intro to Psych and Intro to Sociology. Currently I'm under a lot of stress with everything ( school assignments , worry , etc.) When it comes to CLEP I'm kind of in a rut when it comes to a studying regimen. I'm giving myself until May-June to complete at least 2 of them.  I guess the question I'm asking is do I go sociology since it's the easiest and just work my way back up to the things I've failed ? Also how long should I study?

Also I wanted to know when it comes to Intro to Psych what experiences did any of you guys get? I'm getting the feeling that there will be a lot of wholes on this test?

How are you studying?  Using ModernStates.org, or IC, or something else?

I would suggest first going through Modern States, since that will give you a good start, and also give you a free voucher to take a CLEP exam.  They have a free course for every CLEP.

Then if you need more, use IC.  Or Peterson's or REA.

Using a mixture of modernstates , REA and IC.
Well you were close on those other CLEPs. Maybe you could have passed with another 2-3 hours of studying?

The amount you should study is hard to say because some people study or memorize more effectively than others, some people forget faster, etc.

You might want to use some videos like Crash Course on YouTube.

(02-08-2018, 01:10 AM)Ideas Wrote: You might want to use some videos like Crash Course on YouTube.

I second this. I used CC for Intro to Psych and MacroEcon. Didn't do great, but passed them both.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Also I wanted to know when it comes to Intro to Psych what experiences did any of you guys get? I'm getting the feeling that there will be a lot of holes on this test?

When I took my first few exams, I wasn't *also* a student, so I can imagine that being a lot on your plate. My advice is to back away from the idea that the exams are easy, and realize that while SOME people might think they are easy, the truth is that not EVERYONE thinks so (I don't - I took about 22 CLEP and DSST exams, and I had to dedicate a lot of time/preparation to pass them). Also, I failed DSST Civil War, and it was a huge emotional blow- I almost quit pursuing my degree (crazy right?) but it played mind games on me for sure - so that you've failed 2 exams AND you are still committed to continuing says a lot about your motivation!!!
If I were in your shoes, since you're in class now, why not wait until spring break and use that week to cram for the Sociology exam? Study every day for several hours and take it on the last day before you return to class. That brings your goal post forward (not pushing it back, which I think is a bad idea- May is too far away) and it gives you uninterrupted time to study. That's what I would do, but whatever you decide, I wish you the best!!
^That's great advice.
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
None of the CLEP/DSST exams are cakewalks, you really have to know the subject. However, I don't know about doing a different exam before doing the retakes. You were close, and it might make sense to finish your term, then get the studying done for the retakes while the material is still fairly fresh. Cramming the Sociology CLEP in a week of spring break doesn't sound like a good plan for someone who has already failed two. I spent about three weeks studying for the Soc CLEP. I scored high (i don't remember the score and it was the old system anyway) and some folks here might say I over prepared, but it worked for me.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • greencouch
I agree that tests aren't easy. However, I would say that the "easy" ones are the ones you're most familiar with already. Pick those based on interest too, even if you don't know as much.

For example, my DS has failed almost every single test he has taken, to the point where he's no longer considering CLEP/DSST as an option. However, he had no problems with substance abuse because he found the study material interesting. So, because he likes drugs (kidding lol) a serial test-failer easily passes a "difficult" UL exam.

I personally failed macroeconomics and had to take through SL. It was the only exam I failed and I did poorly because I read that the exam would be easy.. therefore I didn't study much!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 674 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,823 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,451 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,389 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,636 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,824 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,342 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar