Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Introductory Psychology
Hi my name is Abby; I have read the forums for a long time (and used Instancert for a lot longer) but have never posted before. However, I am supposed to take the CLEP Introductory Psychology test this week and am not doing well on the Official CLEP Guide practice test.

Here is how my studying has gone so far.

I completed all of the sections here on Instancert, took the Official CLEP Guide practice test, and made a 53% (I know I should get a 60% to feel good about the test). I felt that 50-75% of the flashcards weren't even on the practice test; kind of disappointed about that.

Then I went to Annenberg Media and watched 26 half hour shows on psychology, which were very helpful (so I thought) took the practice test again, and made a 53. Go figure.

I have searched the forums but haven't really found a good thread dealing with this topic, so I decided to ask those that have taken this test. What should I focus on or worry about? I have never taken a psychology class before so a lot of this was new, but I am fairly good at watching people and recognizing their needs so I thought this test would be easy. I think I can apply psychological principles, but that wasn't what was on the practice test. How did ya'll find this test?

Thanks everyone! Smile
Lots of theories and theorists and some scenarios. I used just Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology Course - Free Online Video Lessons | Education Portal and it was great!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westerner's post:
  • Saba02
Westerner Wrote:Lots of theories and theorists and some scenarios. I used just Psychology 101: Intro to Psychology Course - Free Online Video Lessons | Education Portal and it was great!

Thanks so much, those videos look pretty good, and there were quotes from people who used them for CLEP and passed the test; looks like you got a really good score too Wink I'll try them.
[SIZE="2"]
Shoto-Advice:
:iagree:
[SIZE="3"]"[/SIZE]EC[SIZE="3"]"[/SIZE]
"CCU"
"Prayer"
"A Pass is a Pass"
"Slow and Steady - Wins the Race"
[B][I]“Sometimes The Easy Way Is Not Always The Best Way”

"Passing a Petersons = Conquering a CLEP -or- Defeating a DSST"
"The 5 R's of Study: Repetition - Re-Enforces - Recognition - Recall - Retention"[/B][/I]
"Always be Ready to Release Your Mind & Incorporate the Advice of Others into Your Plans."
"Studying is much like Boiling Water, if it is not Heated Constantly it will Once Again Become Cold Water."

Other Sources of CLEP & DSST Study Material
[SIZE="3"]REA Books, Comex Books, Pass Your Class Guides, Standard Deviants DVD's, Petersons Practice Exams, [COLOR="Gold"]Dummies Books, Idiot's Guides [/COLOR]. Big Grin[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"]
[SIZE="3"]Study Time: How I Did It…[/SIZE]

Pre-Study-Prep: Obtain or set up whatever materials I will need to study (IC Flashcards, REA Books, Standard Deviants Videos, Pass-Your-Class Guides, and Petersons Practice Exams.

Week One: Begin to read books, review flashcards, watch videos. Call your test center and make an appointment in advance as they sometimes require a few weeks advance notice).

Week Two: Re-read books, review flashcards, watch videos Take 1-2 practice exams* (REA, Petersons).

Week Three: Continue to review all materials, take additional/final practice exams. You should be passing these with room to spare. Take real exam at end of the week and PASS. In addition, you should have at this point already acquired pre-study-prep materials for your next exam so as not to waste time.[/COLOR]

* It should be noted that there are many (like me) who feel that the practice exams may be a bit more difficult and as such if you are able to "pass" a practice exam (with room to spare) you should do well when you sit the actual exam.

[SIZE="4"]
Something Else To Know
[/SIZE]

FACT: The lowest possible score is a 20. The highest possible is an 80.

FACT: Approx. 1/2 the questions on the test must be successfully answered to get a 50, or a pass.

THE HYPOTHESIS: In a 100 question test, such as Sociology and many others, there are only 60 possible points (between 20-80) for 100 questions.

60 points divided by 100 questions = .6pts

If each questions is worth .6 points, 50 correct questions = 50q X .6pts = 30pts

You must add 20 since 0 correct questions = 20pts.

30 points + 20 points = 50 points, or a pass.

Now: If each point in a 100 question test is worth .6 points, 100 questions X .6 points = 60; 60 + 20 = 80.

By this formula, answering 75 questions correctly would translate to a score of 65.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Thank you for attempting to search first. The search feature on this site does not work well.

Use this search string with either Bing or Google:

clep psychology site:degreeforum.net
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
The Psychology test was interesting. Smile I carefully went through the IC flashcards as well, and as I went, I looked up any concepts, theories, or theorists that I didn't quite understand on Wikipedia. When I took the practice test, I too was very disappointed to find there was quite a bit of info on there that I didn't know! Unfortunately, it was the night before my test, so I couldn't study any more. The test went better than I thought it would though.

My suggestion would be to pay close attention to everything in each of the flashcards. Then really use the "Process of Elimination" on the test! Smile
[COLOR="#000080"]The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. John 7:18
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#000080"][COLOR="#0033ff"]The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. (Chinese proverb)
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Currently working on Associate of Science in Business

[COLOR="#660000"]CLEP tests[/COLOR]
American Government - 67
History of the United States I - 72
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 73
Introductory Psychology - 72
Human Growth and Development - 62
College Algebra - 73
College Composition - 62
Principles of Macroeconomics - 72
Principles of Microeconomics - 73
Principles of Marketing - 72
Principles of Management - 72

DSST tests
Environment and Humanity - 69
Principles of Public Speaking - 71/PASS on speech
Principles of Supervision - 450
Intro to Business - 436
Intro to Computing - 471
I'm taking this one next week and have taken the REA practice tests and passed both of them without even reading the book. After reading the book, I got a higher score the second time around. SHould I just go ahead and take it already? I kinda dont feel like studying it anymore since Ive taken enough CLEPs to know that they are never really all that hard.
lkm370 Wrote:I'm taking this one next week and have taken the REA practice tests and passed both of them without even reading the book. After reading the book, I got a higher score the second time around. SHould I just go ahead and take it already? I kinda dont feel like studying it anymore since Ive taken enough CLEPs to know that they are never really all that hard.
What kind of scores did you get on the REA PTs? Like 50% or 80%? I like to get higher percentage scores on my PTs so I have a safety margin. But if you're scoring well and feel you have a good grasp of the material, go for it!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning way ahead and stuck on psychology licensure kmao2004 4 421 06-16-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,831 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,171 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 989 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 676 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,197 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,049 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Psychology Careers - 9 Options bjcheung77 1 707 04-15-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  RA psychology degree help amomwholearns 4 988 03-20-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,824 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP