Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridge TEFL - International Diploma in English Language Teaching TESOL ($1,000)
(10-30-2022, 12:28 PM)KSoul Wrote:
(10-30-2022, 12:08 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-30-2022, 03:07 AM)Personherebb9 Wrote: rachel83azFor a cheap but good TEFL, I would recommend instead going to Coursera and doing ASU's TEFL certificate. ASU is a legitimate university. These Groupon TEFLs need people to stop giving them legitimacy.

Do you know what the hours are for the ASU TEFL coursera cert? I am ashamed to admit that I also completed a TESOL cert from a groupon? HOWEVER, I do also have a TEFL cert from an actual accredited institute, so I think that cross-cancels my groupon sins. xD. I did them well over a year ago though so I might consider doing another one before applying to jobs, just to refresh my memory a bit. Is the ASU one a 120-hour/180-hour/etc certificate, or how would I list that on my CV?

Thank you all I appreciate it! 
-An embarrassed groupon user...

There are a couple of good options for TEFL/TESOL certificates on Groupon. Most, of course, are not good. For instance, Global TEFL seems to be pretty legit (as far as non-university TEFL courses go). They have some minor independent accreditation. But their best 250-hour diploma isn't on Groupon. https://globaltefl.uk.com/tefl-courses/c...efl-course

Another good non-university TEFL/TESOL appears to be the TEFL Institute. It costs a bit more than Global TEFL, but less than Bridge. TEFL Institute has a Halloween sale right now, too. https://teflinstitute.com/ The 180 and 300-hour courses are OFQUAL-regulated level-5 diplomas. As an American, I'm not 100% sure what that means, but it appears to be a very good thing.

And, of course, there is ASU's TESOL certification on Coursera. That one appears to be a 150-hour qualification, though there are scant few examples online to confirm. At $50/mo, the ASU certificate can either be one of the cheapest options (assuming you can work through it quickly) or one of the most expensive options (if it takes you 3+ months to complete). From what I can see, the 2 Coursera certificates are automatic and you will get them as soon as you have finished the course(s). The actual 150-hour certificate from ASU takes a few weeks to arrive. IMO, this isn't a huge issue, but it's something to bear in mind if you're left wondering where your "real" certificate is.

If you know that a 150-hour cert is going to be good enough, I would go with ASU. If you're going to need more than that, I would probably go with TEFL Institute or Global TEFL.

I wouldn't go with Bridge, unless you're really wanting the alt-credit. It's way too expensive for an otherwise no-name TEFL certificate.

I have a good relationship with an HR hiring manager of one of the largest online education companies in Asia;  I would implore most to stay clear from spending 1k (or hundreds of dollars) for a TESOL cert. Per my friend, they are the definition of a check box, and the lion's share of the Groupon 150-hour (sub $100) check the box just fine. If you want to stand out, get an English degree at UMPI for $1400. An example of where a TESOL program may be worth it is if they have an excellent job placement program; however, earning a subject degree trumps that for teaching opportunities, so stay with my initial suggestion.

This is awesome news. That's why I wanted to add English as a major to my TESU degree. While you can become an English teacher abroad with just about any degree, I've heard of a lot of agencies, programs and consulting agencies do prefer someone with a degree relevant to Education/TESOL/English. I think for practicality it will make my job placement and job search much easier.
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bridge TEFL - International Diploma in English Language Teaching TESOL ($1,000) - by Personherebb9 - 10-30-2022, 01:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Spanish language college degrees UNAM SUAYED Avidreader 0 291 10-10-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Uk MSc Cybersecurity with Level 7 Diploma nikithewise 2 349 08-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: nikithewise
  Journey - UK Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership OtterDen 12 1,630 08-05-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Is there any way to enrol into the WGU MBA program as an international student? FM1 10 1,269 07-02-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: OtterDen
  UK Level 7 Diploma OTHM Diploma in Data Science Imbanewbie 1 571 06-25-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  100% online Spanish language Masters in teaching Spanish language Avidreader 0 409 05-29-2024, 02:52 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  ENEB with only a high school diploma? sackovic 3 938 05-17-2024, 02:13 AM
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 7,892 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 1,287 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  UK Level 7/8 Diploma Questions bennyoftheD 22 5,117 03-10-2024, 02:20 AM