Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best value MBA
I have been looking into MBAs and agreed it is subjective to what you are trying to get out of it.

Personally, the standing of the MBA program isn't as important to me as being a recognized name school.  I am looking for a checkmark, but I want good brand recognition and to stay under $25k.

So I have primarily been looking into R1 research universities.

BU program of $24k is likely what I will try to do mainly because I am in the northeast and the name carries an extra weight up here.  Although it is a lengthy program.

Illinois at Gies is a good name and R1 school at $24k but it is a very long program of 72 credits.  The masters at 11k for 30 credits I would consider but it seems much harder to get into and currently accepting applications for Fall 2023, so you won't be able to start this soon.

University of Maine is just under $20k from the main R1 school and a 30 credit program.

The other program that I have been considering is The University of Louisiana at Lafeyette, this program is 33 credits and costs only $12,800.  While not a well recognized MBA program the school itself is a R1 with good brand recognition and with accelerated 8-week courses can be done in 10 months.

There are other reasonable brand names that are not from the main R1 campus that you can get for under $15k: University of South Dakota, LSU Shrevport.
And a couple UMASS locations Lowell, Dartmouth, Boston for under $20k (big one Amherst is like $35k)
(08-11-2022, 11:50 AM)WrapitRalph Wrote: I have been looking into MBAs and agreed it is subjective to what you are trying to get out of it.

Personally, the standing of the MBA program isn't as important to me as being a recognized name school.  I am looking for a checkmark, but I want good brand recognition and to stay under $25k.

BU program of $24k is likely what I will try to do mainly because I am in the northeast and the name carries an extra weight up here.  Although it is a lengthy program.

Illinois at Gies is a good name and R1 school at $24k but it is a very long program of 72 credits.  The masters at 11k for 30 credits I would consider but it seems much harder to get into and currently accepting applications for Fall 2023, so you won't be able to start this soon.

University of Maine is just under $20k from the main R1 school and a 30 credit program.

The other program that I have been considering is The University of Louisiana at Lafeyette, this program is 33 credits and costs only $12,800.  While not a well recognized MBA program the school itself is a R1 with good brand recognition and with accelerated 8-week courses can be done in 10 months.

There are other reasonable brand names that are not from the main R1 campus that you can get for under $15k: University of South Dakota, LSU Shrevport.
And a couple UMASS locations Lowell, Dartmouth, Boston for under $20k (big one Amherst is like $35k)
Great advice. I agree, sometimes the branding carries  more weight than what the degree is in itself. That may be the case with MBAs.  BU is 45 credits but claims the degree can be completed in 2 years at 15-20 hrs per week. Hau is a two year program if you don’t transfer in credits from what I’ve read on here. From A  Cost perspective They’re both priced great.  Financial ROI. = who knows. Maybe in time we will hear from some graduates of these programs and what it’s done for them.
I cannot add much to this discussion. For me, I found value in spending $60K+ for a degree from Duke University Fuqua School of Business. However, it also has me connected with the President and CEO of US Polo Global Licensing Inc, the Director of Data Science at Walt Disney, and so much more. Would others find value in that? Maybe not. However, I would have spent $100K on the degree for it.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 2 users Like ThatBankDude's post:
  • Life_One, smartdegree
(08-11-2022, 03:16 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I cannot add much to this discussion. For me, I found value in spending $60K+ for a degree from Duke University Fuqua School of Business. However, it also has me connected with the President and CEO of US Polo Global Licensing Inc, the Director of Data Science at Walt Disney, and so much more. Would others find value in that? Maybe not. However, I would have spent $100K on the degree for it.

Just curious how you are using those connections and if any of them have led you to a tangible $ benefit/gain (e.g. you were able to sell your services to them, got a job because of them, etc)? Or is the value you mention tied solely to the prestige or coolness factor of having those people on your linkedin? Like being friends with your high school's jocks or being part of an old boys country club?
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
I was very torn over getting the MLIS at Valdosta State for approx. $15k and the HAU MBA.
The MLIS is my love class, but would have next to no value outside of having the degree I wanted. I couldn't really use it in the real world for myself, because of my limitations health-wise.
I went with HAU because the MBA opens up the ability to teach any business class at community colleges and doing that in a remote adjunct space is what I'm gunning for. Couldn't beat the price either.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - May 2025
M.Ed - UoPeople - April 2027

Up Next:
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees:
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • cerich67
(08-11-2022, 08:05 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I understand value in general means different things to different people. Let’s for the sake of argument equate value to financial ROI. Example 2 people being equal in all respects. One gets hau $3k the other gets BU for $24k. Who gets the biggest bang for their buck financially. Hypothetically speaking of course.

The answer is it depends. BU brings a BIG name with it in the New England area and it is highly respected. Depending on what field you're in, it could be a big deal. Now if you live in Kansas, no one is going to care that you have a degree from BU. They just want to see that you meet their degree requirements.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(08-11-2022, 11:50 AM)WrapitRalph Wrote: I have been looking into MBAs and agreed it is subjective to what you are trying to get out of it.

Here’s one. AACSB. Which puts it in the top 5% of all MBA programs. For under $16k. Accelerated courses. Looks like 5 and 7 week courses. 

https://onlinedegrees.nku.edu/programs/m...px#courses
BU program of $24k is a good deal, I think if you want to shop around and look for something that's triple accredited, you may want to see if there is something close to that in price range. I remember a few outside the US, if you want to save cash, you can go the HAU MBA route and save the $ for a DBA or something else later. It really is personal preference for everything.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-11-2022, 03:16 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Value is in the eye of the beholder.

A really important point. The concept of "value" is incredibly subjective. 

As we know, the degree is only part of it. The education is also a part, and that is often overlooked in these discussions. Also, education can be broken down further into instructional content and instructional delivery. 

So, the money, the content, the process, and the resulting degree are all variables that must be considered in context, which varies with each individual. For one person, doing an MBA at a DEAC-accredited school might be the best option. For another, going to a highly ranked program full-time for a year or two might be an absurd choice. And everything in between and beyond.

These discussions are great for bringing out both information and opinion. But readers are advised to separate these two concepts and use them accordingly in their own, individual decision-making process.
(08-14-2022, 02:40 PM)Sagan Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 03:16 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Value is in the eye of the beholder.

A really important point. The concept of "value" is incredibly subjective. 

As we know, the degree is only part of it. The education is also a part, and that is often overlooked in these discussions. Also, education can be broken down further into instructional content and instructional delivery. 

So, the money, the content, the process, and the resulting degree are all variables that must be considered in context, which varies with each individual. For one person, doing an MBA at a DEAC-accredited school might be the best option. For another, going to a highly ranked program full-time for a year or two might be an absurd choice. And everything in between and beyond.

These discussions are great for bringing out both information and opinion. But readers are advised to separate these two concepts and use them accordingly in their own, individual decision-making process.

I also agree that value will differ depending on person. On the other hand, there are some absolute truths that would, in my mind, apply to everyone. For example, illegal degree mills are absolutely not good as they disrupt the market for real education. Also, I don't think there is real value in those $150k USC MSW degrees.