Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLS-Accounting or BABA-Management if my ultimate goal is an MBA?
(05-02-2023, 10:14 PM)dsec2013 Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 09:04 AM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 08:13 AM)allvia Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 08:55 PM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 08:39 PM)allvia Wrote: Do you know where you want to get that MBA from? A short list? Many MBAs dont' require a business degree to get in, many others often have requirement courses, and just as many don't have any (but prefer a solid work resume for 'older' aka 30 years+ adult students).

Most likely a competency based like WGU. I'm an older student and do have a good amount of experience in A/P, accounting management, property management, and as a CFO in the real estate industry (medium sized business not corporate). I'm still interested in somewhat similiar positions when I return to work after finishing school. This is second choice for me as I really want to go to law school, however, at this point in my life there's no way for me to do so. Even the hybrid programs are 2 hours away and there are no fully online law programs (that I know of).

Thank you for your reply!

In this case the BLS- Accounting, actually any BLS, would be fine for you. Get it done ('check that box') and move on to the WGU MBA without delay.

Thank you very much!

(05-02-2023, 08:24 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If want to go for speed, the accounting courses take longer than the management courses.

Yes, and I actually hate accounting. That is what my AAS is in, and I would only need Int. Acct II and Taxation II but I dread them both!  It's useful in business but not fun for me at all. I'm going to check which other programs they offer for BLS. Thanks!!

(05-01-2023, 08:55 PM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote: Most likely a competency based like WGU. I'm an older student and do have a good amount of experience in A/P, accounting management, property management, and as a CFO in the real estate industry (medium sized business not corporate). I'm still interested in somewhat similiar positions when I return to work after finishing school. This is second choice for me as I really want to go to law school, however, at this point in my life there's no way for me to do so. Even the hybrid programs are 2 hours away and there are no fully online law programs (that I know of).

In this case the BLS- Accounting, actually any BLS, would be fine for you. Get it done ('check that box') and move on to the WGU MBA without delay.

Thank you very much!

(05-02-2023, 08:24 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If want to go for speed, the accounting courses take longer than the management courses.

Yes, and I actually hate accounting. That is what my AAS is in, and I would only need Int. Acct II and Taxation II but I dread them both!  It's useful in business but not fun for me at all. I'm going to check which other programs they offer for BLS. Thanks!!
I completed the BLS Accounting and I didn't do Taxation I or II. I took both Business Law courses because those, along with Auditing and another course were options for the Accounting minor. Int Acct II is compulsory so I took that at study.com. While you're at it, just get the Management minor too. Put the Management as your main minor and the accounting as the additional so that its 4 UL courses will count in the UL electives for the BLS (The 4 is assuming you don't use Bus Law I for the Mgmt minor - Change Mgmt will work there to then make BUS 350 a UL elective too).

Here's what I did.
Congratulations on earning Summa Cum Laude, that's impressive! How was Int. Acct II at SDC?
(05-01-2023, 08:39 PM)allvia Wrote: Do you know where you want to get that MBA from? A short list? Many MBAs dont' require a business degree to get in, many others often have requirement courses, and just as many don't have any (but prefer a solid work resume for 'older' aka 30 years+ adult students).

Most likely a competency based like WGU. I'm an older student and do have a good amount of experience in A/P, accounting management, property management, and as a CFO in the real estate industry (medium sized business not corporate). I'm still interested in somewhat similiar positions when I return to work after finishing school. This is second choice for me as I really want to go to law school, however, at this point in my life there's no way for me to do so. Even the hybrid programs are 2 hours away and there are no fully online law programs (that I know of).

I work exclusively with Executives in the Career Services area, and if you were a client of mine, I would suggest to get either your undergrad in Accounting, Economics, or Finance, and then you can get your MBA.  While your undergrad is not in management and leadership, it's also understood that since you are a CFO that you do have that skill set.  Locking in the financial component, I think would really bring additional leverage.

Thank you very much!

(05-01-2023, 08:55 PM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote: Most likely a competency based like WGU. I'm an older student and do have a good amount of experience in A/P, accounting management, property management, and as a CFO in the real estate industry (medium sized business not corporate). I'm still interested in somewhat similiar positions when I return to work after finishing school. This is second choice for me as I really want to go to law school, however, at this point in my life there's no way for me to do so. Even the hybrid programs are 2 hours away and there are no fully online law programs (that I know of).

Thank you very much!

I completed the BLS Accounting and I didn't do Taxation I or II. I took both Business Law courses because those, along with Auditing and another course were options for the Accounting minor. Int Acct II is compulsory so I took that at study.com. While you're at it, just get the Management minor too. Put the Management as your main minor and the accounting as the additional so that its 4 UL courses will count in the UL electives for the BLS (The 4 is assuming you don't use Bus Law I for the Mgmt minor - Change Mgmt will work there to then make BUS 350 a UL elective too).

Here's what I did.
How do you select a Minor when doing the application?  I also wanted to add a minor to my Business Degree, but didn't see a way to do so.
If you're completing a BABA, you can't add the minor to the application. You just email your academic advisor and ask them to add it.
DolceDolce Wrote:I work exclusively with Executives in the Career Services area, and if you were a client of mine, I would suggest to get either your undergrad in Accounting, Economics, or Finance, and then you can get your MBA.  While your undergrad is not in management and leadership, it's also understood that since you are a CFO that you do have that skill set.  Locking in the financial component, I think would really bring additional leverage.

Totally, I agree with this. Another option is to get a quick generic business degree and go for MBA with a certain concentration to focus on a component that interests the student. There are so many ways of getting this completed, some just go for additional certificates or industry recognition through memberships...

DolceDolce Wrote:How do you select a Minor when doing the application?  I also wanted to add a minor to my Business Degree, but didn't see a way to do so.

If you are you going for a BABA Management & Leadership and trying to add say an MIS or Project Management option, emailing the academic advisor is your only option.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decision time: BABA/Leadership vs BLS/Management Kjnova 88 5,811 09-08-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  BLS Minor in Management Plan mohelena02 5 377 08-25-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 366 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
  Project Management - STD credits or Google Certifications DavidGood 6 1,087 07-23-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: tdat314
  UMPI BABA Marketing Mrbarbz 11 854 07-14-2024, 10:38 PM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Job seeking with bls with management and project management minor bvndz 11 1,810 07-09-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  321 human resource management HappyPeanut 8 599 07-08-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Does Sophia's Project Management still come to UMPI as BUS 141? berlinerd 7 788 07-05-2024, 08:40 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  BABA class for last 2 weeks rrrr 6 1,051 07-04-2024, 03:26 PM
  Accounting classes at umpi, most did these at sdc Sarajane 7 588 06-24-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: CharisandJon