Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Liberal Studies Capstone
(06-29-2024, 06:27 PM)sashaeliot38@gmail.com Wrote: Can someone give me some info on the workload of the Liberal Studies Capstone. 
1. The online syllabus mentions that it has 4 written assignments + 1 final paper. Do the 4 assignments add towards the final paper? 
2. How does the workload for the guided study look like? Since there are no discussion posts in the guided study, where does the 20% towards the final score come from?
3. Which mentor would you recommend based on your experience? I just want to get this over with so I am looking for someone who is an easy grader. 

Thanks in advance.

The four written assignments essentially are the final paper - it worlks like Sophia English Comp II.  You just need to edit and take into consideration the mentor's feedback.

The presentation is screen casting the Powerpoint in Kultura.

I had Peck.  She was very helpful. You don't really want an easy grader, you want a mentor who will provide feedback that makes the task easier to accomplish.
If you can, take the regular class over guided study. You get the (fairly easy) points for the discussion poss, as well as input and insight from other students to help you craft your paper.

Also, if at all possible, sign up for LIB 495 with Augustus Black. Dr. Black is simply amazing. Whether you take guided study or regular, he is extremely generous in helping students do their best. He will come down hard to help you be the absolute best writer you can, help you get APA formatting dialed in, and really improve not only your writing, but how you think.

He is in his 80s, has two PhDs, and is sharp as a tack and enormously helpful.

The whole course is about writing the capstone paper. The assignments break the paper down into 4 parts. The final paper is just the individual papers stitched together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • Kab
(07-08-2024, 05:45 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: If you can, take the regular class over guided study. You get the (fairly easy) points for the discussion poss, as well as input and insight from other students to help you craft your paper.

Also, if at all possible, sign up for LIB 495 with Augustus Black.  Dr. Black is simply amazing. Whether you take guided study or regular, he is extremely generous in helping students do their best. He will come down hard to help you be the absolute best writer you can, help you get APA formatting dialed in, and really improve not only your writing, but how you think.

He is in his 80s, has two PhDs, and is sharp as a tack and enormously helpful.

The whole course is about writing the capstone paper. The assignments break the paper down into 4 parts. The final paper is just the individual papers stitched together.

I'm currently taking it with Dr. Black, He has been GREAT!
[-] The following 1 user Likes MLFLY6's post:
  • studyingfortests
(06-29-2024, 10:29 PM)Michelle779 Wrote:
(06-29-2024, 06:27 PM)sashaeliot38@gmail.com Wrote: Can someone give me some info on the workload of the Liberal Studies Capstone. 
1. The online syllabus mentions that it has 4 written assignments + 1 final paper. Do the 4 assignments add towards the final paper? 
2. How does the workload for the guided study look like? Since there are no discussion posts in the guided study, where does the 20% towards the final score come from?
3. Which mentor would you recommend based on your experience? I just want to get this over with so I am looking for someone who is an easy grader. 

Thanks in advance.

I can only answer 1 & 3 since I didn't not take the GS version of Capstone.

1. Yes the four assignments goes towards your final paper. For my section, I had to do an introduction to your topic of choice, an outline, a literature review and a discussion and conclusion. You add all those together to make your final paper making adjustments and corrections as per your mentor's suggestions. You also have to do an 8-10 minute oral presentation on your topic with Powerpoint. There is also a written assessment that has nothing to do with your Capstone.

3. I had James Cody and I found him to be a pretty solid mentor. Good communication and he graded papers promptly with helpful feedback and suggestions.
I am currently working on the final piece of my capstone, and it isn’t extremely clear to me how we are supposed to use our writing assignments. Is it really just taking what we’ve already written and piecing it together in a final format? My mentor didn’t have any changes or suggestions for me to make, so I’m wondering if I have to reword or rewrite sections of my previous writing assignments to fit into the final paper.

Any insight from those that have taken this would be great.
(09-06-2024, 07:26 AM)optimisticCoder3 Wrote: I am currently working on the final piece of my capstone, and it isn’t extremely clear to me how we are supposed to use our writing assignments. Is it really just taking what we’ve already written and piecing it together in a final format? My mentor didn’t have any changes or suggestions for me to make, so I’m wondering if I have to reword or rewrite sections of my previous writing assignments to fit into the final paper.

Any insight from those that have taken this would be great.

Yeah, You basically just piece them together, with proper formatting, references, title page, etc... You certainly want to make sure the sections are consistent with each other. I had to rewrite a bit as some of my conclusions had shifted and I had dropped a couple of my research questions (started with 5, ended up with 3) part way through the course.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LIB4950 Capstone - Oral Presentation question MLFLY6 3 274 09-04-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: MLFLY6
  Seeking Advice on SOS-1100 and Business Capstone (BUS-4210) ExcellentPhoto 2 209 09-01-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: allvia
Lightbulb TESU BA in International Studies? Experiences? SCYankee 19 822 08-18-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Anyone doing a Creative or Applied Project for Capstone? jonesy20 3 810 08-07-2024, 10:40 AM
Last Post: e36374
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone - Creative Project badooble 2 1,179 08-07-2024, 10:31 AM
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science / AAS Applied Computer Studies newdegree 15 877 07-26-2024, 11:31 AM
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 24 4,454 06-28-2024, 07:35 PM
  Capstone w/ Prof. Tomko? e36374 1 507 06-28-2024, 06:01 PM
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 11 1,371 05-23-2024, 08:59 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,757 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM