Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apprenticeship is the new unknown calling for some!
It's not a secret or anything, apprenticeship has been a calling for people who believe "further education" is not right for them as they're not inclined to learn within a classroom setting or they have no interest in a particular subject and wish to learn a trade. So many exist, such as automotive, baking or whatever else there is...

I think this is a great option for youth and younger adults is to find a trade they may be interested in, if higher education isn't "right for you now" it may be later on in life, for example, you can get into the trades and take a few years off school, then continue onward by laddering up to a BA in leadership or management for that trade.

Link: Meet a sheet-metal apprentice who says the job is his 'unknown calling.' He makes $24 an hour and can provide for his family while he learns the trade. (msn.com)
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
My son is looking at HVAC right now - there's a company here that pays $15/hr while you're training/learning/apprenticing for 3 months, and then he'll be making more than $20/hr once he's done with that.

You can't beat that with a stick! (He's just about to turn 18 and graduate from HS).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
To me it seems like a great idea.  I have the impression that Great Britain has a well-developed set of apprenticeship programs but perhaps a less developed one here in the US.  Here's a little story involving SNHU
New Apprenticeship and Southern New Hampshire University Partner through Degree Apprenticeship Program to Meet Tech Talent Demand Across U.S. (yahoo.com)
She dropped out of a secondary education program when she could no longer afford tuition and became a tile apprentice.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/01/what-it-...-york.html
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I can speak on the trades. I know many trade related business owners and they all report that there just aren't enough young people going into the trades. Most are licensed contractors in their field and have to take continuing ed courses each year or two, in order to renew their license. Most have told me that every other student in their classes are at least 40+ with the majority being over 50. Getting a contractors license, welding cert, HVAC certs/license, Electrical lic., plumbing, automotive etc just takes time and then a certain amount of money to meet licensing criteria. A person can learn and get paid to learn and take classes for whatever trade they are in and let the employer pay for the training. Heck, even Dental Assistants I and II can learn on the job, do training, get xray certified and get paid while they learn. Surgical techs, optometrist assistants  and in some places Medical assistants can all learn on the job and challenge the test after the hours are put in to meet criteria. I know orthodontists that will hire people straight out of school to train them and declare that they make better assistants. 
  Google hires people with 0 experience and trains them as do many other tech companies.
I really feel like there are going to be some more pretty big changes to the education sector in the future because companies have clued in that not everyone has to have a degree to be great at their job and sometimes are even better at it because they didn't go to college. 
 ( my own dentist told me to never spend the $$ to send my kids to UNCCH for certain degrees. He said the lack of real world experience really hurt he and his wife when they opened their dental practice.) 
  My nephew learned HVAC but isn't a business owner. He does what he can/allowed to do, on the side and he's had weekends where he's made double in two days, what he made at his normal job all week. Pretty fantastic side money in my book !!
(01-30-2022, 05:46 PM)uncapentin Wrote: I can speak on the trades. I know many trade related business owners and they all report that there just aren't enough young people going into the trades. Most are licensed contractors in their field and have to take continuing ed courses each year or two, in order to renew their license. Most have told me that every other student in their classes are at least 40+ with the majority being over 50. Getting a contractors license, welding cert, HVAC certs/license, Electrical lic., plumbing, automotive etc just takes time and then a certain amount of money to meet licensing criteria. A person can learn and get paid to learn and take classes for whatever trade they are in and let the employer pay for the training. Heck, even Dental Assistants I and II can learn on the job, do training, get xray certified and get paid while they learn. Surgical techs, optometrist assistants  and in some places Medical assistants can all learn on the job and challenge the test after the hours are put in to meet criteria. I know orthodontists that will hire people straight out of school to train them and declare that they make better assistants. 
  Google hires people with 0 experience and trains them as do many other tech companies.
I really feel like there are going to be some more pretty big changes to the education sector in the future because companies have clued in that not everyone has to have a degree to be great at their job and sometimes are even better at it because they didn't go to college. 
 ( my own dentist told me to never spend the $$ to send my kids to UNCCH for certain degrees. He said the lack of real world experience really hurt he and his wife when they opened their dental practice.) 
  My nephew learned HVAC but isn't a business owner. He does what he can/allowed to do, on the side and he's had weekends where he's made double in two days, what he made at his normal job all week. Pretty fantastic side money in my book !!
Here's a story about the decrease in the number of people going into the trades
Building Skills With 'Generation NEXT' - This Old House
My grandpa was a union pipe fitter that provided a nice living for his family for over 40 years. They are good paying jobs with great benefits. There is a reason why they pay well. They are tough skilled jobs that are hard on the body. He would come hoMe every evening and soak in a hot bath because of shoulder and back aches and pains. Hats off to trades workers.

(01-30-2022, 03:07 PM)sanantone Wrote: She dropped out of a secondary education program when she could no longer afford tuition and became a tile apprentice.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/01/what-it-...-york.html

Tough tough job. I know Some tile setters. You’re on your hands and knees all day long minus when you’re on the saw. Hats off to these men and women.
(01-30-2022, 09:50 AM)dfrecore Wrote: My son is looking at HVAC right now - there's a company here that pays $15/hr while you're training/learning/apprenticing for 3 months, and then he'll be making more than $20/hr once he's done with that.

You can't beat that with a stick!  (He's just about to turn 18 and graduate from HS).

Sure you can. Have you ever heard Willie Nelson’s song Mamas Don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys ? If he’s got the aptitude push him to go to college, even if it means making less money. Money isn’t everything.  He may end up doing HVAC and it’s okay if he does. But unless he just absolutely hates school don’t let him settle for HVAC at 17 years old.  Keep his sights high. 
HVAC just like all trade jobs is tough and shouldn’t be glamorized just because the money is good. You’re on call 24/7 and never home. Talk to some of these guys. I bet they don’t recommend their kids to follow in their footsteps. 

I have many friends And family in the trades. It’s a whole lot harder than many might think.
I don't think doing HVAC is "settling", especially if someone likes the work. But I do think it's a good idea to get a degree anyway, if at all possible. You never know when, for instance, you might get T-boned on the way to work and no longer be able to do a trade. Having a degree is a good fallback option, like having car or life insurance.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Trust me. NOBODY likes crawling around in 120 degree attics. Or outside When it’s 10 below  working on a heat pump.
I didn’t say these were bad jobs. They are good paying jobs If you want to recommend that for your child Then so be it. I do call it settling for a 17 year old that can do anything they set their minds to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 612 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Level 7 - AI & Data Science Apprenticeship (funded, UK only) bjcheung77 1 743 01-20-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Apprenticeship to Degree Alpha 1 734 06-19-2022, 06:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Multiverse (Apprenticeship Startup) bjcheung77 0 502 11-01-2021, 06:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New WGU IT degrees coming: BS Cyber Security (June), BS/MS Computer Science (unknown) jsd 18 4,863 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Last Post: ajs1976
  Associate's degree for Apprenticeship frankshorey 2 825 11-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Last Post: frankshorey
  Calling all Tesc degree plan GURUS. You know who you are! managerman 9 1,011 10-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Last Post: managerman
  Calling All Course Experts!! ShotoJuku 7 1,154 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Calling All IT Pros...Need Info! marianne202 3 1,151 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Last Post: marianne202
  Calling Previous "Microbiology" test takers tyrell9 0 644 03-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: tyrell9