Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Analyzing and Interp Lit Essay ???
Are there any recommended study materials for the essay portion of this test? Thanks!
You don't have to take the essay portion unless your school specifically requires it. I've been on this forum for over 7 years, and only heard of ONE person who had to take that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I couldn't even find a way to study for this test. I just went in cold and passed with a mid 50's score. No essay was required
I recently took this test. I tried studying for it with the IC flashcards. They’re good, but I didn’t have the patience for it. I ended up taking the Modern States course to get the CLEP voucher (I’m frugal). I skipped most of the videos and just took the quizzes. Maybe that helped, because I ended up doing pretty well.

And no essay required. I don’t even remember seeing an option to do it. But I was in a hurry to get outta there, so maybe I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
It was my first CLEP. I took it cold as well and ended with a 60. Seemed fairly easy and I don't know if you can really study for it, but I can't say for sure.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
I believe that Liberty University requires the essay, but like Dfrecore, I've only heard of one person taking it. The thing about THAT essay, is that it will be graded by your college/university. So..... that makes it kinda tricky. When College Board is the grader, they have to be pretty black and white with the rubric, but your college's grader might be a lit teacher who isn't particularly excited about ANYONE trying to skip his class... just sayin.

Here is the official College Board info: "An optional essay section can be taken in addition to the multiple-choice test. The essay section requires that two essays be written during a total time of 90 minutes. For the first essay, candidates are asked to analyze a short poem. For the second essay, candidates are asked to apply a generalization about literature (such as the function of a theme or a technique) to a novel, short story, or play that they have read.
Candidates are expected to write well-organized essays in clear and precise prose. The essay section is scored by faculty at the institution that requests it and is still administered in paper-and-pencil format. There is an additional fee for taking this section, payable to the institution that administers the exam."

My go-to for all things written is OWL. I'd suggest starting there.

PS Are you attending Liberty?
Actually there has been two people who have taken the essay portion =). studyandpass and I both took it about 9 months apart and sent it into Liberty. Neither of us passed it. It is exactly as cookderosa described it and worse! I do not recommend it...hand strain...brain strain... not nearly enough time!!!!!!!!!!! Disaster, unless you are a quick lit expert/writer, and a hand writing racer.
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

[-] The following 1 user Likes teacher2's post:
  • cookderosa
(07-24-2018, 09:03 PM)teacher2 Wrote: Actually there has been two people who have taken the essay portion =). studyandpass and I both took it about 9 months apart and sent it into Liberty. Neither of us passed it. It is exactly as cookderosa described it and worse! I do not recommend it...hand strain...brain strain... not nearly enough time!!!!!!!!!!! Disaster, unless you are a quick lit expert/writer, and a hand writing racer.

Two of you!! Thanks for adding that in, I didn't remember. I also didn't realize you both didn't pass. <grrr>

The only reason I'm so skeptical about ANYTHING evaluated by the college / a college is because way back in the day, when students wanted to challenge a course in our department, we (us, the clueless teachers) just wrote an exam and graded it. Of course it was hard. Of course it was specific to things they'd have only learned in our lectures. Of course no one passed. While I imagine somewhere some college teacher/prof with a halo and pure heart in the matter, I have yet to see it.
(07-24-2018, 09:03 PM)teacher2 Wrote: Actually there has been two people who have taken the essay portion =). studyandpass and I both took it about 9 months apart and sent it into Liberty. Neither of us passed it. It is exactly as cookderosa described it and worse! I do not recommend it...hand strain...brain strain... not nearly enough time!!!!!!!!!!! Disaster, unless you are a quick lit expert/writer, and a hand writing racer.

So, if you don't pass the essay portion, do you still just get a generic English 1XX credit? Or do you have to opt for the W/O essay test to get that credit? I need five free electives plus ENGL 102 to complete my degree. I put off this CLEP due to my fear of the essay, ha! Now I'm wondering if I should just register for the course, but take still take the course to fill my electives. Between that, American lit and English lit, I can be done, yay!

In case anyone doesn't understand, Liberty's CLEP page has it broken down as such:

Analyzing and Interpreting Literature w/ Essay **See below 50 ENGL 102

Analyzing and Interpreting Literature w/out Essay **See below 50 ENGL 1XX 3

It goes on to say at the bottom that for 102 credit, you must take the essay. So, I'm wondering if you try for that but fail the essay, is it a total loss, or can you still get the elective credit?
(07-24-2018, 12:33 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I believe that Liberty University requires the essay, but like Dfrecore, I've only heard of one person taking it.    The thing about THAT essay, is that it will be graded by your college/university.  So..... that makes it kinda tricky.  When College Board is the grader, they have to be pretty black and white with the rubric, but your college's grader might be a lit teacher who isn't particularly excited about ANYONE trying to skip his class... just sayin.  

Here is the official College Board info:  "An optional essay section can be taken in addition to the multiple-choice test. The essay section requires that two essays be written during a total time of 90 minutes. For the first essay, candidates are asked to analyze a short poem. For the second essay, candidates are asked to apply a generalization about literature (such as the function of a theme or a technique) to a novel, short story, or play that they have read.
Candidates are expected to write well-organized essays in clear and precise prose. The essay section is scored by faculty at the institution that requests it and is still administered in paper-and-pencil format. There is an additional fee for taking this section, payable to the institution that administers the exam."

My go-to for all things written is OWL.  I'd suggest starting there.  

PS Are you attending Liberty?

Hi! Just two quick questions! 
Are the actual lit test score and essay score separate or together? And, is it possible for your university to accept the actual lit test but not the essay?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Practice exams ??? - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature bostonboy1000 5 1,427 07-04-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: P226mem
  CLEP ENGLISH COMPOSITION WITH ESSAY - IS THIS SAME WITH ENGLISH COMPOSITION MODULAR Zeds 3 1,090 02-25-2021, 02:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Did you take College Composition w/ essay? green 15 3,529 08-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: meiz2020