Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I missing any alternative credit options?
(01-27-2022, 08:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: From what people have said, Business Math at UMPI sounds more like CSM Learn than anything else. Basic math to make sure you know how to read an invoice and stuff like that.

Well heck, that is something I definitely can do.  In my various roles I have done A LOT with that sort of thing.  (Tracking payroll hours, creating deposit reports, tracking fees, accounts payable, etc etc).  But you throw some Trigonometry at me and use fancy mathematical terms… I’d be like a deer in headlights.  HAHA
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(01-27-2022, 12:04 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Lol.  I took a class called Business math at one point.  It was treacherous.  It was part algebra, part calculus, part kill-me-now. I never took calculus in high school and it was being taught as if everyone already knew it.  I got a D and cursed the day I thought it would be a good idea to take a math class and try to learn something new.

That's not at all what business math is like at UMPI. Seriously if you know that banks charge interest and what a check is, you'll pass without any trouble in just a few hours.
UMPI must have revamped their Business Math class because I took it in Fall 2021 and it was totally different than what ss20ts describes.

Just to be sure my memory wasn't faulty, I double-checked the course competency content before writing this post. There were questions about solving interest rate problems, but nothing as simple as explaining what a check is.

Specifically, in the version I took, the following topics were covered:
  • Inductive & deductive reasoning
  • Estimation
  • Integers, real numbers & exponents
  • Order of operations
  • Fractions, decimals, & percentages
  • Ratios, rates, & proportions
  • Algebraic expressions
  • Linear equations, including inequalities, mixture problems, & uniform motion
  • Graphing, intercepts, & slope
  • Polynomials
  • Quadratic equations, including minimum & maximums
  • Work-rate formulas
  • Perimeter, volume, area, & surface area
  • Linear & quadratic models
  • Interpreting graphs
The course also had 6 milestones requiring solutions to scenario-based problems along with written explanations of your answers. Some of the course topics were what I would consider simple but there were definitely more advanced topics covered. Also, there were a ton of word problems. Fortunately, those aren't an issue for me but I know some folks struggle with them, which is why I mention it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes caledonia's post:
  • Pikachu
Maybe it has changed. This wasn't in business math back when I started at UMPI in 2020.
This UExcel exam might work. https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/business-ethics/

(01-27-2022, 02:35 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Maybe it has changed. This wasn't in business math back when I started at UMPI in 2020.

The course name in the learning platform is now "Mathematics for Business 2021." So, looks like they updated the course at some point after you took it but before I did in Fall 2021.

(01-26-2022, 12:13 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I was looking at what I might have to take at UMPI if I decide to apply there.  I took out all the gen eds and general electives because I should have all of those covered by my (RA) degree and other additional courses.  I also took out classes that I have already taken or plan to take on Sophia and Study (based on the recent ACE lists posted here).  This is what I am left with.  Are there any other courses I might be able to knock out?  I think this puts me at 36 credits.  Would the Google IT Support Certification cover any of the computer-related ones?

BUS 200 Intermediate Business Computing
BUS 244 Management Information System
BUS 321 Human Resource Management
BUS 325 Financial Management
BUS 330 Marketing Management
BUS 335 Organizational Behavior
BUS 353 Legal & Ethical Issue in Bus
BUS 415 Operations Management
BUS 440 Business Analytics
BUS 469 Strategic Professional Management
MAT 140 Mathematics for Business
BUS 489 Business Policy & Strategy

If you have time to knock out a couple more classes before you enroll at UMPI, then I'd say go for it. Which two classes you should choose, though, depends on what you're already skilled in and if you prefer writing-based projects or exams.

For example, when I took BUS 200 in Fall 2021, it covered Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The final assessment required creating a brochure, bibliography, spreadsheet, and presentation. If you regularly use these apps, then you'll be fine.

On the other hand, BUS 353 was a lengthy paper on a case study. Not overly difficult, especially if you've taken a regular ethics class. It was just time consuming. I'd considered taking this at SDC but decided to take it at UMPI because SDC required papers and an exam. So, about the same writing, plus a proctored exam. Yikes. Now that I've taken the course at UMPI, I feel like I made the best decision for me.

Unless something changes (or already has changed), these courses all have exams as final assessments:
BUS 244 Management Information System
BUS 321 Human Resource Management
BUS 325 Financial Management
BUS 330 Marketing Management
BUS 440 Business Analytics
MAT 140 Mathematics for Business

BUS 325 is very math heavy and includes a lot of formulas, like time value of money (TVM) and net present value (NPV).

BUS 440 has absolutely no math. It's more like a strategic management class with a bit of marketing thrown in.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but maybe it'll help you narrow things down and decide the best course of action for you.
[-] The following 2 users Like caledonia's post:
  • Miyabi, Pikachu
Thank you caledonia. You definitely gave me some things to consider.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
BUS330 is still an exam. I took it on Friday. Scored a 100. Not even sure how because I was positive I had at least 3 wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Transfer credit question Educated Wombat 8 351 09-22-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 556 09-19-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit evaluation prior to enrollment Chimera 3 232 09-18-2024, 11:19 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
Question GEC Sophia credit question ecrane100 5 410 08-15-2024, 12:50 PM
Last Post: tdat314
  chepeast options for international transcripts? Solden81 13 676 07-25-2024, 11:41 AM
  Transfer Credit Evaluation w/o Applying to UMPI? b819 15 2,392 07-18-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: allvia
  UMPI portfolio review / credit for experience Kjnova 22 1,147 07-08-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Trasnfer Credit Report Completed colonelcamp 8 595 06-17-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 461 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM
  BLS: Management Remaining Credit Options... TaraD2020 3 575 02-10-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: TaraD2020