Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Algebra - which provider for math idiot
I just enrolled in the BS Occupational Safety and Health program at Columbia Southern University. Over 20 years ago I failed INTRO to college algebra 3 times. Confused  Of course I need college algebra. Which provider offers the best algebra course for people that struggle with math? I don’t mind taking a remedial class first. I’ll need to be able to transfer the algebra credits to Columbia Southern. Thank-you!
Do you need an RA course, or are you looking for something like Sophia? You need to give us some guidelines in which you have to operate.

You can always do something like Khan Academy and work your way through math for free.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-02-2022, 12:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Do you need an RA course, or are you looking for something like Sophia?  You need to give us some guidelines in which you have to operate.
Something like Sophia. I spoke with an admissions person yesterday from Columbia Southern and she said credits from ACE recommended courses will transfer.
(02-02-2022, 12:41 PM)back2schoolin22 Wrote: I just enrolled in the BS Occupational Safety and Health program at Columbia Southern University. Over 20 years ago I failed INTRO to college algebra 3 times. Confused  Of course I need college algebra. Which provider offers the best algebra course for people that struggle with math? I don’t mind taking a remedial class first. I’ll need to be able to transfer the algebra credits to Columbia Southern. Thank-you!

I’m finding Sophia to be pretty agreeable. While I can do the problems eventually, I struggle with time limits on math exams. I just find myself running out of time from working out all the problems. Sophia’s milestones give you 180 minutes for 25 questions, and you can take the practice milestones as often as you like to make sure understand the material.

If Columbia Southern accepts it, I would try that route. It’s $79 per month. Even if it takes you two months that still puts it at $158, which is insanely cheap.

ALEKS is another option. It will take you longer to work through the pie, but it’s also a lot cheaper per month.

Olivet Nazarene has a Finite Math course, but if you specifically need College Algebra then that wouldn’t work. They would definitely give you enough time with that one to work through the course and Columbia Southern should have no problem accepting it since it’s RA credit.

You just need to check with Columbia Southern to see if they accept those options. Both Sophia and ALEKS are ACE accredited.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - 
BAAS General Studies
BAAS Organizational Leadership 

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
From this previous thread about CSU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-my-degree it sounds like they can be a bit weird, though they do accept ACE credits. Sophia would be the absolute easiest way to to get an Algebra credit. If you need credit from a school, and not ACE, I strongly recommend ASU's Algebra: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner

(02-02-2022, 01:00 PM)Tedium Wrote: ALEKS is another option. It will take you longer to work through the pie, but it’s also a lot cheaper per month.

Olivet Nazarene has a Finite Math course, but if you specifically need College Algebra then that wouldn’t work. They would definitely give you enough time with that one to work through the course and Columbia Southern should have no problem accepting it since it’s RA credit.

You just need to check with Columbia Southern to see if they accept those options. Both Sophia and ALEKS are ACE accredited.

ASU uses ALEKS for its math, but you get actual RA credit and not ACE credit. It's more expensive than ALEKS directly, but you have up to a year to work through the Algebra course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Tedium
(02-02-2022, 01:01 PM)rachel83az Wrote: From this previous thread about CSU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-my-degree it sounds like they can be a bit weird, though they do accept ACE credits. Sophia would be the absolute easiest way to to get an Algebra credit. If you need credit from a school, and not ACE, I strongly recommend ASU's Algebra: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner

(02-02-2022, 01:00 PM)Tedium Wrote: ALEKS is another option. It will take you longer to work through the pie, but it’s also a lot cheaper per month.

ASU uses ALEKS for its math, but you get actual RA credit and not ACE credit. It's more expensive than ALEKS directly, but you have up to a year to work through the Algebra course.

I forgot about that. Another solid option for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - 
BAAS General Studies
BAAS Organizational Leadership 

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
I also suggest engaging a tutor if you find yourself struggling badly. One of the downsides of online learning is not having someone to explain things, and instead having to teach yourself from books or videos.

Also, if your class has a textbook, try to get the solutions guide for your textbook. The one for students has fully worked out solutions for the same problems the regular text just has answers for. That way, when you can't figure out a homework problem (usually odd numbered), you can find an even numbered problem that is similar and see how it it was done.

My final advice is try to forget that you are a "math idiot". Assuming it's been a while since you last tried to do Algebra, you may find that you are a very different student at this stage of life. Approach the course like all the rest of your courses, studying each lesson, and assuming that it will make sense if you work at it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
FWIW, one of the benefits of the ASU math is that you can get inexpensive math tutoring.

I think Sophia's algebra also has tutoring included?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-02-2022, 06:56 PM)davewill Wrote: My final advice is try to forget that you are a "math idiot". Assuming it's been a while since you last tried to do Algebra, you may find that you are a very different student at this stage of life. Approach the course like all the rest of your courses, studying each lesson, and assuming that it will make sense if you work at it.

When I take classes now (I'm taking 4 this semester), I pretty much assume I'm going to get an A no matter the subject.  Not so when I was much younger.  I'm just more dedicated now, better able to prioritize my time, etc.  I'm definitely not smarter, per se, but I'm just a much better student now.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,911 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 12,400 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 1,280 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any good self-paced option for math such as Calculus II? zcao15 3 1,385 06-11-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 1,001 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Study.com Math 108: Discrete Mathematics - Optional Quiz and final exam Titan_s 5 2,628 11-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Last Post: simonbellfi
  College Algebra and fast petethejuggler 12 1,938 09-21-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Need 12 Math Credits - Please Help (and read :) ) acamp 48 9,918 07-08-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Math Course Giantzebra 18 3,936 05-29-2022, 10:47 PM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  Coopersmith Upper Level Math? eriehiker 19 5,293 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore