Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Academic Suspension
Has anyone here ever been placed on or dealt with an academic suspension due to a poor GPA?

I was placed on academic suspension after my second semester at University of Wisconsin when I was 18-19. This was almost five years ago. Now, I want to go back to get an AS with a CompSci concentration and eventually a BS later on.

I wanted to go to Troy because their tuition is very reasonable and they're a public college. I'd never have to worry about them losing their accreditation. I'd also be able to get financial aid or FAFSA loans. However, their admission policy states the following:

"Applicants who have been suspended from another institution for any reason must be eligible to return to that institution before being considered for admission to Troy University."

I was a bit disappointed when I read this. I believe I'm much more mature now and more motivated than ever to earn a degree. So, now I'm looking for a school that's friendly towards those with a poor academic showing early in their college career.

The particular school must also allow students access to financial aid or FAFSA loans. I'd also prefer the tuition to be under $250/credit.

Any ideas?

I appreciate your assistance.
Why not get your AA at a community college? Then you'll have no troubles transferring to a 4-yr school.
craftkc10 Wrote:Why not get your AA at a community college? Then you'll have no troubles transferring to a 4-yr school.
I considered it, but it won't work with my schedule.

I'm an HVAC technician. I'm on call 24/7. I was considering going to College of Southern Nevada (I'm in Vegas). They have about 20 online AA degree programs. They're all proctored, but it's not just the mid-terms and finals that are proctored. Every single test is. I'd have to go in for a test almost every 3 weeks for each class. If going full time, that comes out to 4-5 tests per class in a 12-week semester. Or at least 20 tests/semester if going full time.

I live about 40 minutes away from their campus. It just won't work out.
ideafx Wrote:I considered it, but it won't work with my schedule.

I'm an HVAC technician. I'm on call 24/7. I was considering going to College of Southern Nevada (I'm in Vegas). They have about 20 online AA degree programs. They're all proctored, but it's not just the mid-terms and finals that are proctored. Every single test is. I'd have to go in for a test almost every 3 weeks for each class. If going full time, that comes out to 4-5 tests per class in a 12-week semester. Or at least 20 tests/semester if going full time.

I live about 40 minutes away from their campus. It just won't work out.
>>

Yes, I have a lot of ideas.

First, you only need to be eligible, not actually enroll, so first- what are the requirements? Do you need a minimum GPA? If that's all, you can determine how many "A" grades and credits that would take. Google: GPA calculator, and enter in your old grades/credits. Then play with the input until you meet your schools minimum. You can enroll at any community college that offers affordable online classes- my favorite is Clovis Community College. Online and THE most affordable community college in the United States. I personally know at least 3 people who are happily using this CC for undergrad credit. A 6 credit class is $106!!

Second, don't submit the previous transcript. You run the possibility of this being detected, however not necessarily. This isn't as unethical as it might sound. The purpose of forwarding transcripts is to bring in credit- if you are not brining in credit, then the transcript is irrelevant. The other reason, is to prevent students from earning duplicate credit and/or duplicate degrees- neither situation applies to you.

Third, change plans. Troy is one of a million, not one in a million. Any number of colleges are accredited and affordable for which this won't be an issue.

Fourth, ask for a wash from your old college. Many colleges now have programs that address this exact situation (because....it happens ALL THE TIME!!!). The college I teach for allows you to wipe your entire transcript clean if there has been a 2 year gap in your education. Our program is called "Clean Start" and we are one of hundreds who offer this type of program.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
cookderosa,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll ask an admissions counselor at UW if it can be removed from my records. If not, I'm going to look at COSC.

Thanks again.
ideafx Wrote:cookderosa,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll ask an admissions counselor at UW if it can be removed from my records. If not, I'm going to look at COSC.

Thanks again.
>>

Excellent idea. For what it's worth, that's the plan I would have suggested. I(of course, I didn't want to tell you what to do LOL) If you can get the clean slate, then you're off to your first choice school...if not, COSC is an excellent choice. Bringing up your GPA would have been a lot of work- the transcript issue is more of a personal decision.
cookderosa Wrote:>>

If that's all, you can determine how many "A" grades and credits that would take. Google: GPA calculator, and enter in your old grades/credits.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

GPA calculator

Gradepoint Calculator: Iowa State University
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick, Cheap, Easy Academic Certificate kevinmane 11 3,237 09-10-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Why is this a violation of academic integrity? Vle045 15 1,966 05-29-2021, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Harvard Extension's new online Academic Gap Year and undergrad certificates DIGI-212 4 1,638 06-26-2020, 01:56 AM
Last Post: Stoic
  First Sophia credit, academic level? how in compare other courses SweetsugarNL 6 2,655 07-26-2019, 11:59 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Advice: Trying to Earn Bachelors After Academic Disqualification. iahuerta 4 1,800 10-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU - Best Academic Advisor? Toastmaster 14 3,948 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  Academic Evaluation errors? Fortune212 11 1,774 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Academic References - Grad School Applications mednat 2 746 04-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  TESC Academic Evaluation help please shanekarp 1 912 04-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Last Post: shanekarp
  Just got my academic eval from TESC. Need Help. tango 9 1,213 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Last Post: tango