Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ACE Credit Registry Change? Transcripts Services Ending
(11-10-2020, 05:14 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 01:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: As others have already said, it's best to enroll ASAP to ensure that your credits and the current catalog is secure. Case in point: I technically started my journey about 2 years ago but it's only been in this year that I've been able to make real progress on my degree. In the meantime, TESU has dropped Shmoop from its accepted list of providers (they were going to be the main source of my credits at the time) and added the cornerstone requirement. If I had stayed enrolled and sent in Shmoop credits back then, I wouldn't have to pay the extra money for the cornerstone now and I'd at least be able to have the English degree I started out with. Not enrolling and sending in your credits on a regular basis could mean that the requirements change out from under you and you wind up having to complete a bunch of unnecessary courses.

Amen.  I avoided a capstone, cornerstone and math requirement (among other things) by enrolling and paying the yearly student fees.

Those fees were well worth it in my opinion. A capstone and a cornerstone are a big snooze fest to me. I know more schools are requiring a capstone course, but it's still lame. I'd rather pay for a class to learn something summarize what I was supposed to learn.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • GizmoJack, rachel83az
What are those yearly student fees? Like $50/year? Even at $200 a year, I’d consider it well worth it.

Also, dumb & slightly off topic question, but could I have just enrolled into the medical terminology TECEP & been considered enrolled without the official application (& fee)?
(11-10-2020, 07:05 PM)Calstar Wrote: What are those yearly student fees? Like $50/year?  Even at $200 a year, I’d consider it well worth it.

Also, dumb & slightly off topic question, but could I have just enrolled into the medical terminology TECEP & been considered enrolled without the official application (& fee)?

You can take TECEPs without being a TESU student, so no. You need to both apply and enroll.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-10-2020, 04:32 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 12:51 PM)openair Wrote: Odd. I just spoke with the Sophia staff. They said that they have received requests to manually add older credits to acclaim. However, it turned out to be impossible. Apparently, you can't do it retroactively. The confusion continues.

It can be done. They just don't know what they're doing. ACE is not going to be issuing a paper transcript anymore so all of the providers of they want to stay a provider are going to have to move and move everything not just the courses after a specific date. This is probably a massive project for Sophia in a short amount of time. They were all kind of thrown into this and ACE hasn't been exactly helpful.

(11-10-2020, 01:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 11:18 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Question ? With all the changes and uncertainty what would be the safest way to make sure all of your ace credits From Sophia are Accepted at tesu ? I know the obvious way is to apply and enroll but what if your plan is to complete all courses through outside providers like study.com and your plan is to just take the cornerstone and capstone through tesu. Which will be probably around 2 years away. Get what I’m trying to say ? You can’t enroll at tesu until it’s time to take those last two courses. So there’s a possible risk spending a couple of years knocking out provider courses through Study.com Danvar instantcert Sophia coppersmiths ect.

As others have already said, it's best to enroll ASAP to ensure that your credits and the current catalog is secure. Case in point: I technically started my journey about 2 years ago but it's only been in this year that I've been able to make real progress on my degree. In the meantime, TESU has dropped Shmoop from its accepted list of providers (they were going to be the main source of my credits at the time) and added the cornerstone requirement. If I had stayed enrolled and sent in Shmoop credits back then, I wouldn't have to pay the extra money for the cornerstone now and I'd at least be able to have the English degree I started out with. Not enrolling and sending in your credits on a regular basis could mean that the requirements change out from under you and you wind up having to complete a bunch of unnecessary courses.

Oh that is a huge bummer! That really does suck. I feel for you. I have 2 associate degrees and most colleges won't touch many of the credits because of their age. Never mind that much of the material hasn't changed. For awhile it made me feel like those 3 years were a complete waste of time and money. I did find schools that would accept them eventually, but it took a lot to find them.

I started college in 1988, and I had no trouble finding schools that would accept my courses at all.  Most schools do not have a policy on age of credits EXCEPT for the major, or things like science if you want to get an RN, or IT credits, or something like that.  If you're just bringing in a bunch of gen eds, most schools should take them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-10-2020, 08:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 04:32 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 12:51 PM)openair Wrote: Odd. I just spoke with the Sophia staff. They said that they have received requests to manually add older credits to acclaim. However, it turned out to be impossible. Apparently, you can't do it retroactively. The confusion continues.

It can be done. They just don't know what they're doing. ACE is not going to be issuing a paper transcript anymore so all of the providers of they want to stay a provider are going to have to move and move everything not just the courses after a specific date. This is probably a massive project for Sophia in a short amount of time. They were all kind of thrown into this and ACE hasn't been exactly helpful.

(11-10-2020, 01:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 11:18 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Question ? With all the changes and uncertainty what would be the safest way to make sure all of your ace credits From Sophia are Accepted at tesu ? I know the obvious way is to apply and enroll but what if your plan is to complete all courses through outside providers like study.com and your plan is to just take the cornerstone and capstone through tesu. Which will be probably around 2 years away. Get what I’m trying to say ? You can’t enroll at tesu until it’s time to take those last two courses. So there’s a possible risk spending a couple of years knocking out provider courses through Study.com Danvar instantcert Sophia coppersmiths ect.

As others have already said, it's best to enroll ASAP to ensure that your credits and the current catalog is secure. Case in point: I technically started my journey about 2 years ago but it's only been in this year that I've been able to make real progress on my degree. In the meantime, TESU has dropped Shmoop from its accepted list of providers (they were going to be the main source of my credits at the time) and added the cornerstone requirement. If I had stayed enrolled and sent in Shmoop credits back then, I wouldn't have to pay the extra money for the cornerstone now and I'd at least be able to have the English degree I started out with. Not enrolling and sending in your credits on a regular basis could mean that the requirements change out from under you and you wind up having to complete a bunch of unnecessary courses.

Oh that is a huge bummer! That really does suck. I feel for you. I have 2 associate degrees and most colleges won't touch many of the credits because of their age. Never mind that much of the material hasn't changed. For awhile it made me feel like those 3 years were a complete waste of time and money. I did find schools that would accept them eventually, but it took a lot to find them.

I started college in 1988, and I had no trouble finding schools that would accept my courses at all.  Most schools do not have a policy on age of credits EXCEPT for the major, or things like science if you want to get an RN, or IT credits, or something like that.  If you're just bringing in a bunch of gen eds, most schools should take them.

I have run into gen eds being an issue. English in particular because it's more than 10 years old. One college couldn't give me credit for it because it's more than 5 years old. I had no idea the English language had changed so much in 5 years! I think it's a money grab, but based on writing skills I saw in the discussions at the university, I can see why they required an English Composition course within 5 years. So many people in many of their classes had very poor writing skills. I see that in people in general though. I think it's because so many people dislike writing. I wonder what happens to us in elementary school and high school that makes use dislike it so much.

I have IT courses and business courses. Both of which time out at most schools unless they're used as fillers - those electives used to fill up a degree plan. My husband has the same problem. He has timed out on all of his IT courses and his handful of business courses. It's frustrating!
(11-10-2020, 07:05 PM)Calstar Wrote: What are those yearly student fees? Like $50/year?  Even at $200 a year, I’d consider it well worth it.

I paid $495 per year at EC.

(11-09-2020, 06:00 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You can still get badges added from November onward at Sophia, so TESU is unlikely to drop them. They could just say that it's not their problem that the course(s) haven't been put on an official transcript, though.

Any idea as to whether or not Pierpont will accept Sophia credits from Acclaim, Rachel?
(11-12-2020, 05:05 PM)ctcarl Wrote:

(11-09-2020, 06:00 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You can still get badges added from November onward at Sophia, so TESU is unlikely to drop them. They could just say that it's not their problem that the course(s) haven't been put on an official transcript, though.

Any idea as to whether or not Pierpont will accept Sophia credits from Acclaim, Rachel?
Pierpont emailed me saying it didn't want Acclaim.
Had to send ACE
(11-13-2020, 12:36 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 05:05 PM)ctcarl Wrote:

Had to send ACE

Peirpont is going to be in for an awakening once ACE stops issues paper transcripts later this month. They may not be aware of the changes yet.
(11-13-2020, 12:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-13-2020, 12:36 PM)Seagull Wrote: [quote pid='321941' dateline='1605218708']
Had to send ACE

Peirpont is going to be in for an awakening once ACE stops issues paper transcripts later this month. They may not be aware of the changes yet.
[/quote]

Ummm...Pierpont is not the one that will be in for an awakening; any student wanting to get ACE credit there is going to be in for an awakening though.  As a matter of fact, this may be the case for a LOT of schools.  It's the students who will be screwed by this.

ACE needs to do a MUCH better job of communicating to schools what's going on, and how they will still be doing the recommendations, but that they have outsourced the issuing of transcripts going forward.  I blame ACE 100% for this terrible rollout.  I feel like the same people who rolled out the Obamacare state websites were in charge of this changeover at ACE.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • crotique, rachel83az, StoicJ, TwinMom
Does more People have problems with the badge adding to LinkedIn?
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Latin Credit Chimera 5 478 09-14-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Upper-Level History Credit Miggies 9 861 07-24-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: wow
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 318 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 15 3,052 05-08-2024, 07:32 PM
  Biology & Chemistry Online for College Credit? Spaceghost 3 512 05-08-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  conflicting info about TADA ending date any4yeardegree 17 1,978 05-02-2024, 07:32 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 1,740 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 1,107 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 937 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 1,239 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM