Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40 and need a degree ... where to begin?
cframe Wrote:Sound Advice.

Jennifer, I appreciate your specifics. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. That's why the sharing on this board is so great.

Based on your advice, I think I will offer to be the Next Step to those choosing to seek out first what a Community College has to offer. A 10-minute "Did you know" schpeal will at least give them enough info to know an online-lowcost-accelerated degree is possible.

So my next specific question is if one gets an AA/AS from a RA CC, are all lower level courses automatically fulfilled at all the Big 3? Do they simply start with their specific major requirements?
>>

No. This "automatic" filling is specific to CCs that have Articulation Agreements with 4 year colleges. For example, our local CC has 17 Articulation Agreements with Illinois and Iowa colleges/universities that are both private and public- for any student who completes an AA/AS with us, we "guarantee" that the articulation agreement will accept their credit as a giant block of credit (which can include CLEP since we accept it- even if the university normally doesn't!). This is a perk because it makes for a smooth transition. The big 3 don't have articulation agreements (or at least I don't think they do- you might find some in their local towns) but they evaluate all credit independently when it is submitted.
That said- if the RA CC issues credit- the big 3 absolutely accept it because it's RA Transfer Credit into RA Transfer Credit- but in order for it all to fit perfectly, the candidate needs to be sure it matches (somewhat) into the gen ed program. A simple example- your CC might take English Comp CLEP exam- and then you earn the AA degree. EC won't take it even wrapped inside a degree (where the state university would!).

If you have someone who wants a bachelor's degree, I'd talk to them about TESC and help them mesh a CC associates degree into a nice plan that won't waste any credit. For the CC, use what you can, but then they can really hit CLEP/DSSTs for the bachelor since TESC allows that. (remember TESC has a 90 credit cap on CC credit- but that doesn't include CLEP credit that is part of a community college degree- just the CC classes)

I hope that isn't all too confusing.
I agree whole-heartedly regarding the local cc being the place for displaced workers to attend. Our local cc is doing a great job working with that sector at a far lower cost than they would spend on Clep exams and/or the Big 3. Its a one by one decision maker on something like this. Certainly right to suggest that no one formula would fit every adult.

Best of luck in your endeavors to aid anyone displaced in this economy.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
According to my most recent experience, the local colleges are coming around with respect to CLEP, DSST, and Excelsior. While taking my DSST tests at two different local colleges I found good support for these. In fact, one of the private school administrators told me that she has sent a number of students to Excelsior that would have faced massive credit loss in her school.

The key may be to find a local school that offers DSST testing and try to cajole them into supporting it more. Even better would be to get a local school that does not offer DSST testing to begin offering it as a supplemental method.

Another thing to work on with the schools would be to be more accepting of transfer credits. Do they really not feel guilty telling someone who is out of work that they can only transfer 20 prior credits into their program? Asking someone to repeat previously completed courses will stop them dead in their tracks.

I can relate to the 40 something out-of-work syndrome, and congratulate you for helping out. I am in that bind myself, but feel that I can dig myself out since my jobs over the past 30 years have made me really good at demand learning. I know many people that have not done a whole lot of learning and adapting in the past years, and who are now in big trouble. I wish I could help them out, but like they say on the airplane, "Make sure you put your own Oxygen mask on before you try to help others".
cookderosa Wrote:>>
The big 3 don't have articulation agreements (or at least I don't think they do- you might find some in their local towns) but they evaluate all credit independently when it is submitted.

Yep--you can find an articulation agreement between Excelsior College and Hudson Valley Community College in NY--affectionately known as "Harvard on the Hudson" by the locals--and one of my many stops along the way to achieving my degree.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
barcotta Wrote:Yep--you can find an articulation agreement between Excelsior College and Hudson Valley Community College in NY--affectionately known as "Harvard on the Hudson" by the locals--and one of my many stops along the way to achieving my degree.

Very good!!! I couldn't recall if I had read that here or just made it up in my head (both possible LOL)

hilarious
Jennifer gave great information but I would like to point out another option that is at least available here in Florida. Our public schools systems often have Technical Centers (I work at one), which offer various options in a shorter period of time and at a lesser cost that the community colleges, and many of the programs articulate some credits to the community college. For example, we not only have the courses you may already be aware of, such as culinary, a/c repairs, auto repairs, auto body repairs, cosmetology, but we also have business courses including CISCO, nursing (LPN, not RN), medical assistants, surgical technicians, court reporting, medical records transcription, medical billing and coding, etc. Some of these courses are for certificates of completion but some of them provide the completer with an Applied Technology Diploma. Our local community colleges also provide some of the same courses with certificate programs and Applied Technology Diplomas, as well, but they then go on to get AAS, AA, or AS. Lately our schools that were previously community colleges have been changed to just "college" as, in some instances, they are now offering BS in very specific areas, such as teaching and nursing.

A little more input to consider, depending upon the interests, educational levels and skills levels your adults are beginning with.

Also, at this level, the students are given basic skills tests and if they need remediation or refereshers it is done at a nominal cost of approximately $10 a year and those courses can be taken either face-to-face or online, depending again on the student's capabilities and whether they have equipment or not. We also have ESOL classes, again at nominal expense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 405 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,468 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 343 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,704 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,180 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,360 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,587 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 745 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,896 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 853 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy