Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? (/Thread-Patten-MBA-how-math-intensive-is-it)

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - TheCommuter - 07-24-2015

Hello, everyone...

I'm in the process of enrolling in Patten University's online MBA program. But before I make my final decision on starting the program, I need to know just how math-intensive the courses are. Although I do not have math phobia, my math skills are extremely weak to the point that I'd need several years of remediation to even hope for a 'C' grade in a course like intermediate algebra.

I'm worried about my ability to pass certain MBA courses such as managerial accounting and managerial finance if they are math-intensive. Thanks in advance to those who can answer.

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - GoodYellowDogs - 07-24-2015

I think any MBA is going to have a lot of math in those two courses. However, Patten lets you do a test first to see where you have weaknesses and then helps you with those. I think a competency based course (Patten or WGU) are your best bet.

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - mednat - 07-24-2015

TheCommuter Wrote:Hello, everyone...

I'm in the process of enrolling in Patten University's online MBA program. But before I make my final decision on starting the program, I need to know just how math-intensive the courses are. Although I do not have math phobia, my math skills are extremely weak to the point that I'd need several years of remediation to even hope for a 'C' grade in a course like intermediate algebra.

I'm worried about my ability to pass certain MBA courses such as managerial accounting and managerial finance if they are math-intensive. Thanks in advance to those who can answer.

I can't comment on the patten program, but accounting is not very math heavy. Certainly not surpassing basic algebra, but I would say it normally doesn't extend beyond basic arithmetic.

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - johnjaxs - 07-25-2015

mednat Wrote:I can't comment on the patten program, but accounting is not very math heavy. Certainly not surpassing basic algebra, but I would say it normally doesn't extend beyond basic arithmetic.

Did my financial accounting and it was pretty much multiply and divide. Granted you usually have to multiply or divide several times in the equation to get the answer, but usually pretty easy once you get the formulas down.

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - bluebooger - 07-25-2015

anyone who can't pass a course in basic statistics doesn't deserve a masters degree in any field

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - TheCommuter - 07-26-2015

bluebooger Wrote:anyone who can't pass a course in basic statistics doesn't deserve a masters degree in any field
I'm the one who originally posted this thread and have already passed a course in basic statistics, but thank you for your input. Smile

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - Prloko - 07-30-2015

I wouldn't state it as harshly as bluebooger did, but an MBA in the business world generally connotates a Mastery of quantitative analysis in addition to the managerial portion. Some programs are more intense than others (especially the top programs with heavy calculus), but you should be able to do business mathematics operations such as matrices, regression, present value, amortization, sampling, etc.

I would wager Patten would require a fairly solid understanding of Stats and Algebra and nothing more. Am I pretty close Denise (Goodyellow)?

Thecommuter, you might be better served with a Master's in Management which is usually an MBA lite, with an obvious heavy emphasis in management theory.

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - TheCommuter - 07-30-2015

Prloko Wrote:Thecommuter, you might be better served with a Master's in Management which is usually an MBA lite, with an obvious heavy emphasis in management theory.
I've already decided I'm no longer pursuing the MBA. Instead, I'm going to pursue to MPS (Master of Professional Studies) degree with a concentration in human resource management dually alongside the MSN (Master of Science in Nursing). The HR coursework interests me more and aligns with several of my future career goals.

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - Prloko - 07-30-2015

TheCommuter Wrote:I've already decided I'm no longer pursuing the MBA. Instead, I'm going to pursue to MPS (Master of Professional Studies) degree with a concentration in human resource management dually alongside the MSN (Master of Science in Nursing). The HR coursework interests me more and aligns with several of my future career goals.

Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it? - dposborne - 08-01-2015

There are a couple free MOOCs offered from University of Pennsylvania that can give you a head start in those areas.