Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten MBA: how math-intensive is it?
Hello, everyone...

I'm in the process of enrolling in Patten University's online MBA program. But before I make my final decision on starting the program, I need to know just how math-intensive the courses are. Although I do not have math phobia, my math skills are extremely weak to the point that I'd need several years of remediation to even hope for a 'C' grade in a course like intermediate algebra.

I'm worried about my ability to pass certain MBA courses such as managerial accounting and managerial finance if they are math-intensive. Thanks in advance to those who can answer.
• Master of Science in Nursing - Eastern New Mexico University (in progress)
• Bachelor of Science in Nursing - Western Governors University (3/2015)
• Associate of Science in Nursing - Platt College (3/2010)
• Diploma of Vocational Nursing - Casa Loma College (10/2005)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Professional licensure: LPN/LVN (1/2006); RN (5/2010)
• 16 brick & mortar credits from Oxnard College (2000 to 2001)
• 38 brick & mortar credits from Tarrant County College (2006 to 2008)
I think any MBA is going to have a lot of math in those two courses. However, Patten lets you do a test first to see where you have weaknesses and then helps you with those. I think a competency based course (Patten or WGU) are your best bet.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

TheCommuter Wrote:Hello, everyone...

I'm in the process of enrolling in Patten University's online MBA program. But before I make my final decision on starting the program, I need to know just how math-intensive the courses are. Although I do not have math phobia, my math skills are extremely weak to the point that I'd need several years of remediation to even hope for a 'C' grade in a course like intermediate algebra.

I'm worried about my ability to pass certain MBA courses such as managerial accounting and managerial finance if they are math-intensive. Thanks in advance to those who can answer.

I can't comment on the patten program, but accounting is not very math heavy. Certainly not surpassing basic algebra, but I would say it normally doesn't extend beyond basic arithmetic.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:I can't comment on the patten program, but accounting is not very math heavy. Certainly not surpassing basic algebra, but I would say it normally doesn't extend beyond basic arithmetic.

Did my financial accounting and it was pretty much multiply and divide. Granted you usually have to multiply or divide several times in the equation to get the answer, but usually pretty easy once you get the formulas down.
anyone who can't pass a course in basic statistics doesn't deserve a masters degree in any field
bluebooger Wrote:anyone who can't pass a course in basic statistics doesn't deserve a masters degree in any field
I'm the one who originally posted this thread and have already passed a course in basic statistics, but thank you for your input. Smile
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't state it as harshly as bluebooger did, but an MBA in the business world generally connotates a Mastery of quantitative analysis in addition to the managerial portion. Some programs are more intense than others (especially the top programs with heavy calculus), but you should be able to do business mathematics operations such as matrices, regression, present value, amortization, sampling, etc.

I would wager Patten would require a fairly solid understanding of Stats and Algebra and nothing more. Am I pretty close Denise (Goodyellow)?

Thecommuter, you might be better served with a Master's in Management which is usually an MBA lite, with an obvious heavy emphasis in management theory.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Thecommuter, you might be better served with a Master's in Management which is usually an MBA lite, with an obvious heavy emphasis in management theory.
I've already decided I'm no longer pursuing the MBA. Instead, I'm going to pursue to MPS (Master of Professional Studies) degree with a concentration in human resource management dually alongside the MSN (Master of Science in Nursing). The HR coursework interests me more and aligns with several of my future career goals.
TheCommuter Wrote:I've already decided I'm no longer pursuing the MBA. Instead, I'm going to pursue to MPS (Master of Professional Studies) degree with a concentration in human resource management dually alongside the MSN (Master of Science in Nursing). The HR coursework interests me more and aligns with several of my future career goals.

Sounds like you have a solid plan.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
There are a couple free MOOCs offered from University of Pennsylvania that can give you a head start in those areas.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Masters in Education Secondary Math Giantzebra 3 641 04-28-2021, 05:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accuplacer "NEXT GENERATION" Math Tutor Toastmaster 2 545 01-28-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  18 Easy Math Master's Credits collegehacked 7 2,495 09-08-2020, 02:37 PM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Interesting Program for Math Teachers at Boston University eriehiker 0 703 04-25-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Graduate program-less writing intensive monroe18 8 2,097 10-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,884 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,616 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,834 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Heritage Institute: Math/Sci/Other $125 Grad. Credit eriehiker 15 3,802 07-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Patten University MBA Finishers? RANSOMSOUL 20 7,903 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd