Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
average amount of time to complete each UMPI class?
Hello,

I am wondering on average how long it has taken people who have completed the BABA Mgmt and Leadership degree to complete each class at UMPI? I realize this can vary on how much time the individual taking the classes has per week to dedicate and how hard the subject material is, but, I am curious as to what an average is? 

For example, is 2 weeks of completion (assuming 15-20 hours a week) and the individual is working a 40 hr week a good metric on average to figure for each class at UMPI? I realize different classes could take longer or shorter amounts of completion time and I am wondering what this amount of time might be per each class?

For example, would a good metric be to look at say 2 weeks on avg to complete a class so 4 classes in an 8 week term could be completed?

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
Most students are able to complete their UMPI degrees in two sessions, sometimes three. So 1-3 weeks per class seems to be about right.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
There's no way to answer these questions. Every student has a different set of skills, experience, and abilities. I've worked in management for over 30 years and have been a business owner so I flew threw many of the management courses. The Final Assessment will really determine how quickly one can complete it. If it's a 20 page paper and you're terrible at writing papers or hate the subject, then it will take you much longer than someone who enjoys writing papers or loves the subject. Some classes have more content then others and some have longer Final Assessments than others.
I think the average person can plan on finishing one class per week. That was my plan. I started out with 17 classes to complete and finished 8 in the first session. I will finish nine in this current session. While this seems overwhelming at first, it is actually not too bad.

Finishing all 17 classes in one session would have been unrealistic and I do not really see how it could be done. Three sessions would have been EASY, so two is really the perfect amount of time for me.
(01-27-2023, 05:16 AM)anthony3070 Wrote: I think the average person can plan on finishing one class per week. That was my plan. I started out with 17 classes to complete and finished 8 in the first session. I will finish nine in this current session. While this seems overwhelming at first, it is actually not too bad.

Finishing all 17 classes in one session would have been unrealistic and I do not really see how it could be done. Three sessions would have been EASY, so two is really the perfect amount of time for me.

Anthony,

Thank you for the valuable input. I realize that this is a highly variable situation per student and can depend on the class, but, there are averages. It would seem to me based on the general input I have seen that about 1-2 weeks per class on average is the completion on time per average per class.

Some other questions:

-How many credit hours did you transfer in? 
-Did you do the BABA degree at UMPI? If so, what concentration? My son is looking at doing it in the Mgmt and Leadership concentration.
-For the credits you brought in, what were the main sources where you got the other credits (i.e. Sophia, Study, etc)?
-For these other credit sources, on average, how long did you take you to do a Sophia or Study.com class? Since these sources seem to not involve writing papers, it seems like the avg time to complete a Sophia or Study.com course can be completed more quickly like within 1 week or less.
-For UMPI, what was the average length of the final assignment (i.e. 5-10 or more pages)?

My son is trying to weigh writing papers vs. a more test oriented school like TESU or EU.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
I think most people on here are finishing in 2 terms, with a couple of people only needing 1 term, and a few taking 3 (either they had financial aid or wanted to take multiple concentrations/minors IIRC).

If you're looking at 10 courses in 2 terms, then that averages out to 1.6 weeks per course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My first class had an exam and I finished it quickly. The rest have papers and I'm a slow writer. Probably should have gone with an exam-focused school. My first paper is 5 pages and it's taken me a week just to do the outline and organize my notes to begin the paper.
UMPI BLS Management
Pierpont BoG AAS
(01-28-2023, 08:39 PM)upgrayedd Wrote: My first class had an exam and I finished it quickly. The rest have papers and I'm a slow writer. Probably should have gone with an exam-focused school. My first paper is 5 pages and it's taken me a week just to do the outline and organize my notes to begin the paper.

My first class on UMPI is a paper (BUS 141 Project management) and I barely just finished writing the paper. It took me more than a week to complete the class and write the paper. I think I overdid it with my paper. It came out to be 21 pages and over 4,600 words. I submitted the draft last Thursday, and I'm pretty sure the professor is going to ask me to shorten the essay. I underestimated how complicated my project turned out to be. I want my next class to be an exam.
It's a good idea to ask around and see how others are pacing themselves, or get an idea on how long it would take the average person. Having said that, the best gauge actually is to see how you do on the 'prerequisite' courses before you take the classes at UMPI. What I've been asking people when they PM me is, take the Sophia.org courses and report back how long it take them for each course or set of courses... Only the student themselves would know what their schedule/time is like as there are so many variables in play. When you know how 'easy/efficient/fast or generally how well' you complete a course, that will give more details on how well you can process UMPI courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-29-2023, 02:06 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's a good idea to ask around and see how others are pacing themselves, or get an idea on how long it would take the average person.  Having said that, the best gauge actually is to see how you do on the 'prerequisite' courses before you take the classes at UMPI.  What I've been asking people when they PM me is, take the Sophia.org courses and report back how long it take them for each course or set of courses... Only the student themselves would know what their schedule/time is like as there are so many variables in play.  When you know how 'easy/efficient/fast or generally how well' you complete a course, that will give more details on how well you can process UMPI courses.

@bjcheung77

Good advice. My older son has finally pulled the trigger on returning to school and he is now currently taking Sophia Human Biology and looking to complete the rest of his GEC courses. From the feedback he provided me, the Sophia classes are taking about 1-2 weeks to finish each. So, he hasn't taken UMPI classes yet. I think after doing some more research, he may be rethinking the BABA Mgmt Concentration + Leadership degree as he is not wanting to write papers as much as take exams. So, he is looking at the either the TESU Business degree or the BALS general concentration in addition to UMPI. He has not made up his mind yet.

EducationSeeker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 77 3 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 223 Yesterday, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 250 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 183 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 161 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 304 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 294 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,576 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,479 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 500 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1