Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YourPace to regular online courses?
Has anyone started with the YourPace program but then switched to the regular online program - or even attended in person?

If so, how was your experience with that? Was it no big deal, or a headache?
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.A. Psychology (International Studies Minor)

I'm 42% through my degree!

Earned:  
Sophia: 48 credits
RA: 3 credits
I think one person did that a few years ago. They wanted a major/minor that wasn't offered in YourPace, but they only needed a couple extra non-YourPace classes to get it. I don't remember who it was or which degree they went after, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Your tuition would be much more and you'd have live in that area of Maine to attend in person.
I know of one person that did that, and it went rather smoothly for them. During the COVID lockdown they wanted a minor that wasn't offered on YourPace, but, because the school was doing Zoom Classes she got to do them "remotely".
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
(04-02-2024, 12:50 AM)RachelB Wrote: Has anyone started with the YourPace program but then switched to the regular online program - or even attended in person?

I am (in future after I do UMPI... I am almost the same amount of credit as you now...) planning to try to do University of Maine at Augusta (https://www.uma.edu/academics/online/degrees/), particularly Cybersecurity with Cyber Forensics. 

From my research, the transfer of UMPI credit should be a bit easier, and I believe (don't quote me on that) they could waiver GenEds and maybe some courses would transfer into major (who knows). 

As they say (source: https://www.uma.edu/admission/transfer/):

Quote:" Transfer within institutions of the University of Maine System (UMS) has never been easier! Once you submit an application to UMA, we fetch electronic copies of your UMS transcripts and the other documents you already submitted to the University of Maine System. There is no need for you to resubmit high school transcripts, college transcripts or immunization records. University of Maine System policy is to provide the maximum opportunity for transfer within the System. When a student is accepted for transfer at UMA, all undergraduate degree credits obtained at any campus of the University of Maine System will be transferable to UMA. "

UMA has tuition $329 out of state per credit (online, not in-person) which is more affordable than SNHU, for example. For in-state and for Canadians they even have $252 per credit. 

They have a few interesting degrees which UMPI is yet to offer so...

They may (I don't know yet) technically take Sophia/SDC etc, as (source: https://www.uma.edu/academics/cpl/)

Quote:"Courses from non-accredited training organizations may be granted transfer credit if they are recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE).  The courses must carry a credit recommendation from ACE and be categorized as lower division, upper division, or graduate level.  Credit will not be granted for courses at the vocational level.

An official ACE transcript must be submitted for courses to be considered for transfer credit.
Credit will be awarded at the ACE recommended level (1xx or 3xx).
Credit will be designated as general elective credit for subjects with no comparable discipline at UMA, program elective credit, or for a specific course if the ACE recommendation aligns with an existing course."

They also have Post-Bacc degrees, where when you have a first bachelor, you just take some major classes (I am not sure if that's more efficient than transfer all bachelor and take 30 residency...).
So something to think about...
Sophia - 43 cr | CompTIA Sec+ | AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner | on way to UMPI BABA PM&IS

[-] The following 3 users Like berlinerd's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Pikachu, RachelB
(04-03-2024, 04:25 PM)berlinerd Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 12:50 AM)RachelB Wrote: Has anyone started with the YourPace program but then switched to the regular online program - or even attended in person?

I am (in future after I do UMPI... I am almost the same amount of credit as you now...) planning to try to do University of Maine at Augusta (https://www.uma.edu/academics/online/degrees/), particularly Cybersecurity with Cyber Forensics. 

From my research, the transfer of UMPI credit should be a bit easier, and I believe (don't quote me on that) they could waiver GenEds and maybe some courses would transfer into major (who knows). 

As they say (source: https://www.uma.edu/admission/transfer/):

Quote:" Transfer within institutions of the University of Maine System (UMS) has never been easier! Once you submit an application to UMA, we fetch electronic copies of your UMS transcripts and the other documents you already submitted to the University of Maine System. There is no need for you to resubmit high school transcripts, college transcripts or immunization records. University of Maine System policy is to provide the maximum opportunity for transfer within the System. When a student is accepted for transfer at UMA, all undergraduate degree credits obtained at any campus of the University of Maine System will be transferable to UMA. "

UMA has tuition $329 out of state per credit (online, not in-person) which is more affordable than SNHU, for example. For in-state and for Canadians they even have $252 per credit. 

They have a few interesting degrees which UMPI is yet to offer so...

They may (I don't know yet) technically take Sophia/SDC etc, as (source: https://www.uma.edu/academics/cpl/)

Quote:"Courses from non-accredited training organizations may be granted transfer credit if they are recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE).  The courses must carry a credit recommendation from ACE and be categorized as lower division, upper division, or graduate level.  Credit will not be granted for courses at the vocational level.

An official ACE transcript must be submitted for courses to be considered for transfer credit.
Credit will be awarded at the ACE recommended level (1xx or 3xx).
Credit will be designated as general elective credit for subjects with no comparable discipline at UMA, program elective credit, or for a specific course if the ACE recommendation aligns with an existing course."

They also have Post-Bacc degrees, where when you have a first bachelor, you just take some major classes (I am not sure if that's more efficient than transfer all bachelor and take 30 residency...).
So something to think about...

Very informative, thanks! I hadn't even thought to look at the other U of M schools.
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.A. Psychology (International Studies Minor)

I'm 42% through my degree!

Earned:  
Sophia: 48 credits
RA: 3 credits
I had looked through the whole system (it's not a big one), and I believe UMA is the only one which (a) has some interesting online degrees which are not offered by YourPace UMPI, and (b) has reasonable tuition.

I promise to be a guinea pig! Smile when I finish this UMPI one... if no one would be before me... as I now struggle to find time for Sophia even.
Sophia - 43 cr | CompTIA Sec+ | AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner | on way to UMPI BABA PM&IS

[-] The following 1 user Likes berlinerd's post:
  • rachel83az

I didn't do this exactly, but I went from UMPI to 16-week semesters for graduate school. I wouldn't say it was incredibly smooth initially -- I had to get used to studying multiple subjects at once -- but it smoothed out pretty quickly and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. That said, I don't think I would want to go from UMPI to another undergraduate institution with regular semesters. That would probably have felt like hitting a road block. To me, anyway.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • ss20ts
You wouldn't be waived for their version of the GEC as you wouldn't already completed a bachelor's degree. Transferring from campus to campus doesn't waive those requirements. Some of their programs also require an internship. That's something to be aware of.
Actually, UMPI also has 3 non Your Pace online programs, if someone really wants to see if they can get these online programs completed instead of the Your Pace options, it really depends on the required classes. If these classes can be completed entirely or mostly through Your Pace and also have transferable classes, then it'll be easier to complete than paying for regular tuition for each class required. UMPI has online BA English, History, Psychology that is not on the Your Pace program in addition to the Your Pace offerings: https://www.umpi.edu/academics/online-programs/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 Summer Sessions -- What is YOURPace? ashkir 8 519 05-03-2024, 08:21 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Seek advice on accounting courses and share some news Lorvey 1 124 05-01-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 8 522 04-29-2024, 10:22 AM
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 359 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  need advice on YourPace BBA Project Mgmt and Info Systems EducationSeeker 4 230 04-19-2024, 06:22 PM
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 411 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM
  Is 14 courses in 2 terms possible for psychology major? mattbau43 6 322 04-12-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Full list of sophia courses that will transfer? And any Major recs? hexclep 1 285 04-07-2024, 06:10 PM
  Yourpace psychology degree PSY 496: Practicum Schlafen 12 1,702 04-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 358 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM