Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU
Hi everyone,

I'm a veteran and I've been on this site before, I have certs for Cyber Security from ACI, and I have college credits spread everywhere apart from my joint service transcript, I'm looking for fast and cheap way to use WGU's Transfer credits and earn a Masters Degree in IT, Any suggestions. As i locate my credits i will post in this thread.
Benon, you should tell us what Associates & Bachelors you have already. If it's in a similar field to business, then I would focus on the MSIT degrees they have vs the Business with IT concentrations. If you've got a BS IT already, then I would reverse that so you'll have concrete knowledge in both Business & IT. For example, you have a BSBA + Cert, you can go for the WGU MSCIA or if you have BSIT + Certs, you can go for the MBA ITM, a third option is to mix/match it to your liking, you're working on the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, do something you feel is fit for you.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-21-2023, 08:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Benon, you should tell us what Associates & Bachelors you have already.  If it's in a similar field to business, then I would focus on the MSIT degrees they have vs the Business with IT concentrations.  If you've got a BS IT already, then I would reverse that so you'll have concrete knowledge in both Business & IT.  For example, you have a BSBA + Cert, you can go for the WGU MSCIA or if you have BSIT + Certs, you can go for the MBA ITM, a third option is to mix/match it to your liking, you're working on the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, do something you feel is fit for you.

Currently, I don't have any degree, i would have to submit those to achieve a degree. I'm curious on the journey from bachelors to masters and is WGU the way to go.
No, without knowing much about your scenario, no one would know your route to the Masters.  There are so many various variables at play, we don't have a complete picture of your situation, what you should do is to fill us in with the info in the addendum and template, the more details, the better.  You can work on the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, a balanced mix/match of them...

Basically, your best bet is to get the Pierpont BOG AAS degree with an emphasis in Info Systems and then ladder up to something such as the UMPI BABA PM&IS, you'll be well versed in Business Administration with a concentration in Project Management & Info Systems.  Your goal after that can be the UMPI MAOL, HAU MBA, the WGU MSML or MBA, it depends on what you are looking for...

In short, I suggest the cheap and quick Pierpont BOG AAS, then UMPI B&M, or WGU B&M... You should update this thread with info asked for within the addendum/template details here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • benon
(12-22-2023, 12:40 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: No, without knowing much about your scenario, no one would know your route to the Masters.  There are so many various variables at play, we don't have a complete picture of your situation, what you should do is to fill us in with the info in the addendum and template, the more details, the better.  You can work on the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, a balanced mix/match of them...

Basically, your best bet is to get the Pierpont BOG AAS degree with an emphasis in Info Systems and then ladder up to something such as the UMPI BABA PM&IS, you'll be well versed in Business Administration with a concentration in Project Management & Info Systems.  Your goal after that can be the UMPI MAOL, HAU MBA, the WGU MSML or MBA, it depends on what you are looking for...

In short, I suggest the cheap and quick Pierpont BOG AAS, then UMPI B&M, or WGU B&M... You should update this thread with info asked for within the addendum/template details here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

I will start over. Thanks for your patience 

I've been lurking here for years on and off with life changes and like most people, looking for cheap and fast. I've looked into WGU, a little into TESU and UMPI. Which would be best? I started taking classes as if I'm starting WGU, but am wondering if that's the best way to go.

Your Location: South Carolina, United States.  
Your Age: 30
What kind of degree do you want?: Computer Science, ideal job Cyber Security or Systems Administrator (I would want a masters, preferablythe first on), although I'm flexible so that I could pursue cloud or other computer science careers.

Current Regional Accredited Credits:  

Community college 27 credits, mostly General Education and old credits. All done 2011-2015, would they take these credits?
Pierpont BOG AAS in process, just to have an actual degree of some kind.

Community college:

Beginning Algebra: Math 101
Introduction to Computers: Cpt 101
Public Speaking: Spc 205
Microcomputer applications: Cpt 205
Intermediate Algebra: Math 102
General Psychology: Psy 201
Adv Microcomputer applications: Cpt 270
Microcomputer Operation Systems: Cpt 176
English Comp 1: Eng 101

JST:

First Aid and CPR
Land Navigation (recreation)
Marksmanship
Physical Fitness
Self Defense

Characteristics of Hazardous Materials
Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear containment and Decontamination
Hazardous Material Operations

Reception Battalion Attrition
Department Of Defense (Dod) Cyber Awareness C
CTIP Annual Awareness Web-Based Training (1hr)
Level I Antiterrorism Awareness Training (annual)
Composite Risk Management Basic
Defense Support Of Civil Authorities Crs
SERE 0.2 Level A SERE Education And Training
Combat Lifesaver
Blended Retirement System Opt-In Course
Combatives 1
Concussion Annual Training For Medics

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 

In progress: Sophia
Intro to psychology (Not sure if it still is needed)
Workplace Communication

Any certifications or military experience? Above is my Joint Service Transcript (JST), ACI Security+ (40hrs),
ACI Certified Ethical Hacker(40hrs),
Certified Network Defender(40hrs) (2023), 

IBM:
Cybersecurity Compliance Framework & Systems Administration
Cybersecurity Roles, Processes & Operating System Security
Introduction to Cybersecurity tools and Cyber Attacks (3 / 8) for IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Professional Certificate

Budget: No savings, but 0% on credit cards, Max 3,000 preferably less, of course.

Commitments: Full time commitment to study as I have 4 days off though I do have 3 kid, and a wife. I work either 36 - 48 hours a week, 12 shifts, 

Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed, although my job has an on call status for me every other month, considering leaving soon. I might only be able to study in the evenings 5 hours and weekends 8-14 hours per day.

Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be perfect, since that would be the cheapest.  
I would like to finish within 4 to 6 months so that I could get a job in the IT field

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I do have access to the programs from school. I've only used it once for ACI so I didn't use the Gi Bill or Post 9/11. I think it's called Vet Tec.
Awesome, it's pretty much what I was thinking - a trifecta of certs, degree experience... Basically, you can do the cheapies/freebies on the WIKI such as Coursera, TEEX, alternative ACE credits etc, Pierpont BOG AAS emphasis Info Systems, UMPI BAS MIS with 3-4 classes that will exempt you from the UMPI MAOL later if needed. If the MAOL isn't what you want, you can do the WGU MBA ITM instead...

(01-03-2024, 09:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Awesome, it's pretty much what I was thinking - a trifecta of certs, degree experience... Basically, you can do the cheapies/freebies on the WIKI such as Coursera, TEEX, alternative ACE credits etc, Pierpont BOG AAS emphasis Info Systems, UMPI BAS MIS with 3-4 classes that will exempt you from the UMPI MAOL later if needed.  If the MAOL isn't what you want, you can do the WGU MBA ITM instead...

I'm unsure of what credits will cover other credits. Will contacting Nancy help relieve this problem or should I finish the path on the wiki completely or just complete the Freebie/cheapies only? Then proceed to Pierpont BOG AAS emphasis info systems? Also, is this the wiki I should follow https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan
(01-04-2024, 03:42 AM)benon Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 09:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Awesome, it's pretty much what I was thinking - a trifecta of certs, degree experience... Basically, you can do the cheapies/freebies on the WIKI such as Coursera, TEEX, alternative ACE credits etc, Pierpont BOG AAS emphasis Info Systems, UMPI BAS MIS with 3-4 classes that will exempt you from the UMPI MAOL later if needed.  If the MAOL isn't what you want, you can do the WGU MBA ITM instead...

I'm unsure of what credits will cover other credits. Will contacting Nancy help relieve this problem or should I finish the path on the wiki completely or just complete the Freebie/cheapies only? Then proceed to Pierpont BOG AAS emphasis info systems? Also, is this the wiki I should follow https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pi...egree_Plan

That's a good WIKI, I usually get people to review this one instead, and use that one for pre-planning for UMPI degree of choice. Take all the Sophia.org classes you can for Pierpont, they'll all go to UMPI, if you do all the ones for UMPI, just for both and send in your transcripts. You can then take the cheapies/freebies on the WIKI while you want for UMPI acceptance.

You want to have at least 90+ credits total (that's with the 27 RA you already have) to Pierpont and UMPI, it'll take some time to graduate Pierpont anyways, when you apply to UMPI you can only apply for the BLS, select the MIS minor and that's all you do, wait for acceptance but don't enroll/start UMPI until you graduate Pierpont.

Again, do all the cheapies/freebies, Sophia.org that will transfer into Pierpont/UMPI, the only remaining credits you need come from UMPI (nothing from Pierpont).
Pierpont: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC
UMPI BAS: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • benon
Would this work for Pierpont BOG AAS AoE IT, also what more would be needed for umpi BLS MIS

work place Communications Sophia 3
Introduction to ethics Sophia 3
Introduction to Information Technology Sophia 3
Ancient Greek Philosophers Sophia 3
Introduction to Python Programming 3
Introduction to Web Development Sophia 3
U.S. History I Sophia 3
College Algebra Sophia 3
Introduction to Sociology: Embracing Diversity and Collaboration Sophia 3
Introduction to Java Programming Sophia 3
Introduction to Networking Sophia 3
IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Professional Certificate Coursera 10
Google IT Professional Certificate Coursera 12
Google Data Analytics Certificate Coursera 12
Google UX Design Certificate Coursera 10

This is what is making me confused. I want to be certain to complete everything needed.
Yeah, you're good, get everything more from Coursera, Sophia.org, TEEX, etc as I mentioned earlier towards the UMPI BAS, You need to create a spreadsheet with the Pierpont BOG AAS and UMPI BAS requirements side by side, just the minimum columns/rows like I do on the Beginner's Guide templates. Once you have it side by side, you'll know your progress and keep reference or track what needs to be done and what is missing...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science Degree Help Ad Nauseam 5 275 Yesterday, 12:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 279 04-18-2024, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,336 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 534 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,300 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 444 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,245 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 1,008 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Let's get WGU's CS degree for $5k nomaduser 6 1,539 03-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  15-year-old with master’s degree prepares for law school Imbanewbie 7 1,208 03-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore