Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor
Link to article: Utah students could soon earn bachelor's degree in 3 years | KSL.com

The Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) in 90 credits. My questions are:
1. Does this water down the respectability of a bachelor's degree?
2. Can one apply to a graduate school with a 90 credit bachelors?
3. Will employers take note or just consider it a check the box degree?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Airamb's post:
  • RachelB
First thing that comes to mind if Master's acceptance... would schools accept you with only 90 credits under your belt?
Seems like a great idea for someone not pursuing further education though.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 3 users Like mohelena02's post:
  • Airamb, NotJoeBiden, ss20ts
(03-27-2024, 04:12 PM)mohelena02 Wrote: First thing that comes to mind if Master's acceptance... would schools accept you with only 90 credits under your belt?
Seems like a great idea for someone not pursuing further education though.

Exactly! See my question #2.
Great questions, here are my answers to those questions. It's a check the box degree like any other BGS, BLS, etc.
1. A degree is a degree... No, it's just a slimmed down Bachelors degree without the 30 credits for electives.
2. Again, it's a Bachelors degree, as long as all the entry requirements for the Masters have been completed, you're good.
3. BAS, BGS and BLS, etc, do not display it's a 90 credit or 120 credit degree on the parchment, only on transcripts.
They're not the only ones going this route, if you read down the page, BYU and partner is doing a 90-96 credit version.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • RachelB
(03-27-2024, 07:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Great questions, here are my answers to those questions.  It's a check the box degree like any other BGS, BLS, etc.
1. A degree is a degree... No, it's just a slimmed down Bachelors degree without the 30 credits for electives.
2. Again, it's a Bachelors degree, as long as all the entry requirements for the Masters have been completed, you're good.
3. BAS, BGS and BLS, etc, do not display it's a 90 credit or 120 credit degree on the parchment, only on transcripts.
They're not the only ones going this route, if you read down the page, BYU and partner is doing a 90-96 credit version.

There are master's programs that are very specific about 120 credits in a bachelor's degree for whatever reason. Some are specific about how many credits in certain topics they want. Some colleges are just really strange about undergrad requirements. I mean I understand a master's in chemical engineering that you want them to have chem 101 as an undergrad - kind of important, but an undergrad statistics course for an MBA is kind of weird because a lot of undergrad programs don't require stats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
My first degree was a 90 credit BA in Canada. They don't do general education in Canada. They assume you have it in high school. The only requirements for a BA was a grade 12 or 6 cr 100 level language, 6cr 200 level English Literature, 6cr of 200 level junior lab science for morons, 6cr 300 level senior science for morons, and a minimum 18cr major. The rest you mix and match. You could take a maximum 6cr 100 level for missing high school prerequisites and a maximum of 42cr 200 level, if I recall.
This is great! I hope this is the way of the future, as I've never understood having so many gen eds and electives... they're just a waste of time and money. The time for those things is in high school!
Current Goal:
UMPI: B.A. Psychology (International Studies Minor)

I'm 42% through my degree!

Earned:  
Sophia: 48 credits
RA: 3 credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 41,025 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,988 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Is it possible to get a bachelor's degree in anything with mostly Sophia, etc? whiverem 19 2,471 06-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Amberton Bachelor's Experience? SCYankee 6 997 03-01-2023, 05:42 PM
  State schools vs. other options MDela3 71 8,334 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Two, two degree schools 6 months? learningthehardway 16 1,905 06-01-2022, 08:02 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  How do The Big 3 + UMPI Handle >20 Year Old RA Credits? retro 7 1,273 04-13-2022, 05:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Alternate schools for Comp Sci? Ideas 4 1,374 03-29-2022, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  SUU 'Speedway" Bachelor of General Studies Completion Program Petey43 5 2,010 03-26-2022, 02:26 PM
  Colleges like TESU which allows enrolment of one year without obligation? FrHaseKopf 9 1,304 02-12-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore