Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA
UMPI allows you to replace 3 undergraduate-level classes from your bachelor's into their MAOL degree, reducing the number of grad classes needed from 12 to 9. More details: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...L)_at_UMPI

The MBA at HAU allows you to get up to 3 classes out of 12 waived based on prior coursework and experience as well. There may be other programs with similar case-by-case waivers.
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(04-03-2024, 02:25 PM)crowbird Wrote: I see, so chances of credit transfer is low especially from undergrad to grad degree is pretty much none existent

I didn't say chances of credit transfer are low from undergrad to undergrad.

Chances depends on many factors.

For example, if you completed English Composition I with a grade of B or above from a regionally accredited school, there's a high chance that will transfer to most schools in the US, likely including most national public universities.

If you completed several upper level courses in computer science at a regionally accredited school and are trying to use them towards a computer science major at a different school, there's a mediocre chance they'll all transfer and all reduce your computer science major requirements (unless that receiving school is degreeforum favorite TESU). Policies will start getting in your way like in-major residency requirements and required reviews by the computer science department at the potentially receiving school. Maybe you'll get a half-win, half-loss decision, like that credit will transfer but as elective credit that counts towards the 120 semester hours total you need for your degree but not towards your computer science major.

Credit transfer from undergrad to grad is rare. Sometimes there are similar provisions that aren't called credit transfer but are called by names like waivers or a bachelor's to master's program. Where any of these exist, they're very specific to each graduate program.
(04-03-2024, 03:02 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 02:25 PM)crowbird Wrote: I see, so chances of credit transfer is low especially from undergrad to grad degree is pretty much none existent

I didn't say chances of credit transfer are low from undergrad to undergrad.

Chances depends on many factors.

For example, if you completed English Composition I with a grade of B or above from a regionally accredited school, there's a high chance that will transfer to most schools in the US, likely including most national public universities.

If you completed several upper level courses in computer science at a regionally accredited school and are trying to use them towards a computer science major at a different school, there's a mediocre chance they'll all transfer and all reduce your computer science major requirements (unless that receiving school is degreeforum favorite TESU). Policies will start getting in your way like in-major residency requirements and required reviews by the computer science department at the potentially receiving school. Maybe you'll get a half-win, half-loss decision, like that credit will transfer but as elective credit that counts towards the 120 semester hours total you need for your degree but not towards your computer science major.

Credit transfer from undergrad to grad is rare. Sometimes there are similar provisions that aren't called credit transfer but are called by names like waivers or a bachelor's to master's program. Where any of these exist, they're very specific to each graduate program.
I am getting the umpi BBA regardless, but my end goal is to move to USA preferably (or English or french speaking 1st world countries but i still would much prefer USA)

Doing masters is doable albeit difficult and ill need to work couple of years before attempting to do it (i saw some universities that offer out of state student waiver if the student maintains certain gpa or gets certain amount of scholarship aid, and maybe with some credit transfer could be sooner than a few years of saving)

But i read online that a phd in USA can be done directly from undergrad, and most phds pay their students (a survivable wage , but a wage nonetheless, and they cover their tuition) but iam not sure how true is this for international students, i also read that you can go for a phd and drop out as soon as you get your masters, how legit is this?

Phd seems like a long route(5 yeara avg) and you need to be really into it, but if its my only way i will do it.

Or should i just look elsewhere and forget my US dream?
(04-05-2024, 09:46 PM)crowbird Wrote: I am getting the umpi BBA regardless, but my end goal is to move to USA preferably (or English or french speaking 1st world countries but i still would much prefer USA)

Doing masters is doable albeit difficult and ill need to work couple of years before attempting to do it (i saw some universities that offer out of state student waiver if the student maintains certain gpa or gets certain amount of scholarship aid, and maybe with some credit transfer could be sooner than a few years of saving)

But i read online that a phd in USA can be done directly from undergrad, and most phds pay their students (a survivable wage , but a wage nonetheless, and they cover their tuition) but iam not sure how true is this for international students, i also read that you can go for a phd and drop out as soon as you get your masters, how legit is this?

Phd seems like a long route(5 yeara avg) and you need to be really into it, but if its my only way i will do it.

Some PhD programs prefer or require a master's first. Some PhDs take students directly from a bachelor's, but add approximately as much coursework as a master's into their PhD program. Sometimes these programs award a master's degree en route, and sometimes it's possible to exit at a master's. All these are legitimate. But what is possible and what is practical varies by program.

The typical PhD student in the US is full-time, on-campus, and paid by the university. The pay package typically includes that they work for the university as a research assistant and/or teaching assistant.

Some international students get graduate scholarships and packages in the US, but the universe of what is available is less than for domestic students. But note that if you become a permanent resident of the US (green card holder; or maybe also a granted-status asylee/refugee), thereafter you will generally be considered a US domestic student, not an international student.

Quote:Or should i just look elsewhere and forget my US dream?

I wish you good luck in your immigration journey. You can keep your US dream in play while looking at other countries. I've lived parts of my life in the US and parts in Canada and been happy in both.
As again, you're looking at too many variables and trying to get them all done at one shot. It's not going to happen, you have to split these into smaller goals and follow a pathway that will lead you there. You're going to be swayed in all directions as most advice will start at the same, in fact, most likely 90 credits out of the 120 will be the same recommendation - getting it at Sophia.org, then get the rest from UMPI depending on the degree. Finish one degree at a time and keep adding to the points you need to immigrate or get US based jobs in Africa, etc. First thing first, you haven't done any of the balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience to get the best points possible... You can't go anywhere fast without following through.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-06-2024, 01:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: As again, you're looking at too many variables and trying to get them all done at one shot.  It's not going to happen, you have to split these into smaller goals and follow a pathway that will lead you there.  You're going to be swayed in all directions as most advice will start at the same, in fact, most likely 90 credits out of the 120 will be the same recommendation - getting it at Sophia.org, then get the rest from UMPI depending on the degree.  Finish one degree at a time and keep adding to the points you need to immigrate or get US based jobs in Africa, etc.  First thing first, you haven't done any of the balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience to get the best points possible... You can't go anywhere fast without following through.

Yeah i admit i do suffer from serious analysis paralysis at times, as of now i found i skimmed through the umpi wiki you guys have and like i said ill be doing it end of this year maybe Early next year so i am not in a rush
(04-06-2024, 01:00 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: As again, you're looking at too many variables and trying to get them all done at one shot.  It's not going to happen, you have to split these into smaller goals and follow a pathway that will lead you there.  You're going to be swayed in all directions as most advice will start at the same, in fact, most likely 90 credits out of the 120 will be the same recommendation - getting it at Sophia.org, then get the rest from UMPI depending on the degree.  Finish one degree at a time and keep adding to the points you need to immigrate or get US based jobs in Africa, etc.  First thing first, you haven't done any of the balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience to get the best points possible... You can't go anywhere fast without following through.
Hey back again here for some more questions , is it possible to do the BBA pm & is and another accounting degree (the BA in accounting or the BBA accounting concentration) if yes which on is better getting em two separately or getting em as a double major (best as in future studies and/or employment).

Or can i add accounting concentration or minor (i would prefer finance but accounting is next best thing they have ) to my the BBA in PM&IS ?if so how
(04-17-2024, 10:10 PM)crowbird Wrote: Hey back again here for some more questions , is it possible to do the BBA pm & is and another accounting degree (the BA in accounting or the BBA accounting concentration) if yes which on is better getting em two separately or getting em as a double major (best as in future studies and/or employment).

Or can i add accounting concentration or minor (i would prefer finance but accounting is next best thing they have ) to my the BBA in PM&IS ?if so how

You can't complete 2 BABA degrees as it's the same degree. You can add a second concentration or a minor though. The BA in Accounting could be completed as it's an entirely different degree.
Not sure if I linked you to the differences, but you can always do the BA Accounting & BA Business Administration double major, there is an option for the double concentration as well, or if you decide to have a major and two minors, you can mix/match that around to your liking, it really depends on your energy, money, time, you want to spend completing this.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  134 Credits But No Degree! Please Help Me Make Something Useful Out All These Credits CreativeLearner 8 142 54 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 107 04-24-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 187 04-24-2024, 10:04 AM
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 170 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 111 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,864 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 226 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,616 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 231 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 481 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az